View Poll Results: Would you eat taboo food?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already do!

7 17.07%
  • Only if I had no other choice (my survival depended on it).

13 31.71%
  • I'd consider it.

5 12.20%
  • No, it's disgusting!

13 31.71%
  • I've no idea yet.

3 7.32%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taboo Food

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    In Japan I had raw bear, crickets, raw horsemeat, squid-on-a-stick, or sorts of fun stuff.

In New Orleans I had alligator in stew, in jerky, in everything

Rabbit and Veal I never knew was 'taboo'. Mmmh, memories of ordering veal parmesan from the local Italian restaurant on the company tab on days when we worked more than 12 hours

According to people I play computer games with who work in the industry, 'genetically modified' foods are considered 'taboo' in Europe. Probably a large portion of the foods I eat are 'genetically modified'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbaon View Post
    I wouldn't eat neither the foods mentioned above, nor the kosher (shechita/ ritually slaughtered) food.
    It tastes the same, as does halal. Actually, if you ever want good airline food, fly on an airline based out of one of the Persian Gulf countries.

Quote Originally Posted by J Baughman View Post
    Some of the Negroes in the Southern U.S. eat opposum, I would never eat one they are the most discusting creature in North America.
    They eat raccoon too. I have never had either, along with 'grits' or whatever those weird animal parts black people eat are.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch_Bearer View Post
    You've never eaten anything from the sea, not even Tuna? Good seafood, especially crab, lobster, shrimp, etc. are one of the things that make life worth living for me.
    What´s Tuna? Well, I eat fish sometimes, but I don´t eat them on a regular basis or any other sea things besides fish.
    The North sea and the Baltic sea are both around 600 km away from here, and the Mediterranean sea around 400 km. So seafood is just not common here. It´s exotic for us. I think if you don´t grow up with crabs, lobsters and shrimps you´ll find them some kind of odd. Sure, some sweetwater fishs like carp, trout or pike are part of the local cuisine, but that´s no seafood.
    I respect your devotion to all things Bavarian though. It must take a lot of will power to stay away from all the delicious cakes and pastries.
    Why should I stay away from delicious cakes and pastries? I love them. Or are you talking about cakes and pastries which contain seafood? Never heard anything about that. Our pastries and cakes are sweet, with cream, jam or fruits.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Veal I never knew was 'taboo'.
    It's not the meat that is so offensive; it's the disgusting way the young cows are treated in their very short lifetime.
    http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-return.html

I would never, ever eat it.

As for the South American plane crash victims, not only did they have to eat the flesh of their dead companions (starting with the firm buttocks, apparently), but they had to eat it raw and cold.

Having said that, it may have been more palatable that way, as food always has less taste the colder it is.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    20 Hours Ago @ 02:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    What´s Tuna? Well, I eat fish sometimes, but I don´t eat them on a regular basis or any other sea things besides fish.
    The North sea and the Baltic sea are both around 600 km away from here, and the Mediterranean sea around 400 km. So seafood is just not common here. It´s exotic for us. I think if you don´t grow up with crabs, lobsters and shrimps you´ll find them some kind of odd. Sure, some sweetwater fishs like carp, trout or pike are part of the local cuisine, but that´s no seafood.
    I could see how crabs and lobsters might be a little off-putting if you're not used to seeing them, but I tell ya, their meat is truly out of this world.

For some reason freshwater fish never really did much for me. They taste a lot different from sea fish to my taste buds anyway. However smoked trout is pretty tasty.

Why should I stay away from delicious cakes and pastries? I love them. Or are you talking about cakes and pastries which contain seafood? Never heard anything about that. Our pastries and cakes are sweet, with cream, jam or fruits.
    Well, when I was in Munich I couldn't stop eating the local desserts, or drinking local beer for that matter! I imagine I might have had to buy some bigger pants if I stayed there much longer.

Anyway, it must be nice to live and have your roots in such a stunning and magnificent land like Bavaria, which is also so rich in culture. I get roughly half my genes from there, and I'm very proud of that.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 03:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I enjoy most fish dishes but shellfish I can't eat, not even crawfish which are traditionally eaten in august here. I like the smell of boiled crawfish but I can't eat the meat, it's too chewy and weird. And don't get me started on mussles and oysters, why anyone would eat those voluntarily is beyond me . I'm basically a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I'm quite reserved (one might even say conservative ) when it comes to texture and taste.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    The Black Sea is hundreds of kilometers away from my region, so I'm also not used to having seafood as part of my ordinary diet. I'm not considering it taboo food, but it's a little bit exotic for me. When I go to the seaside, which is very rarely, I eat seafood. But it can be found in the supermarkets too. I tried some a few times, but the taste is different, maybe due to the freshness difference.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alizon Device View Post
    It's not the meat that is so offensive; it's the disgusting way the young cows are treated in their very short lifetime.
    http://www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-return.html
    To the conscious Bavarian/Austrian a thought like this would never occur. A life without Schnitzel would be almost as bad a life without cheese. And yes, Schnitzel is supposed to be made from veal escalopes.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, May 7th, 2011 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Austrian-German
    Ancestry
    Viennese
    Country
    Austria Austria
    State
    Vienna Vienna
    Nationalist-libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Why is veal singled out? Pigs or chicken aren't treated any better. I could tell you some gruesome stories about chicken.
    If you care about animal welfare, buy meat locally, if you have meat markets or from farmers.

On taboo food, I don't think I'd eat it except for survival. I can't fully explain why, there is just something in my gut that tells me to feel disgusted, like an instinct.
    THINK! It's not illegal yet.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    To the conscious Bavarian/Austrian a thought like this would never occur. A life without Schnitzel would be almost as bad a life without cheese. And yes, Schnitzel is supposed to be made from veal escalopes.
    I've a question about Schnitzel and taboos. Is Schnitzel made form other meat as veal considered taboo in Austria? Like from chicken meat? Here locally there is Schnitzel made from chicken too.

Last Online
    Saturday, October 30th, 2010 @ 04:46 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Artisan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've eaten insects, cooked, because they were for sale once in a strange store near my home, covered in chocolate. Dog or cat doesn't seem horrid either, really, and alligator is delicious

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast