View Poll Results: Would you eat taboo food?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already do!

7 17.07%
  • Only if I had no other choice (my survival depended on it).

13 31.71%
  • I'd consider it.

5 12.20%
  • No, it's disgusting!

13 31.71%
  • I've no idea yet.

3 7.32%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taboo Food

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    I have been around farms most of my life and sometimes the younger children do get attached to some of the animals. When the time comes to butcher and eat that animal they protest a little, but it makes them stronger in the end.
    One of my friends would kill and eat almost anything that walked,swam, or crawled. He raised chicken for his own eggs when one of his chickens quit laying eggs I had to come over and put it down for him. I guess some people can get attached to some animals.

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybright View Post
    Most people I know here are icked out at my enjoying black/blood pudding.
    I agree! I've eaten 'black pudding' from a very early age! My dad would prepare the greatest English fried breakfast you could imagine; black pudding was an integral part (just don't dwell on the ingredients )

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Taboo foods are only taboo foods outwith the culture in which they are consumed. For example, as we all know, pork is one of the most common meats where we come from, but it grosses the Muslims and Jews out.

There's numerous foods even I as a known gourmet would not consume, these include dog meat or cat meat. They are animals our culture considers primarily as pets and thus companions rather than agricultural animals of any description, there is a certain boundary thus.

Seafood is not an issue for me, most uses of our domesticated animals (Oxtongue is excellent, as is Haggis! ) pose no problem either, generally I'll eat any meat as long as it is good and filling.

I suppose I'd extend that to horse meat and donkey meat of some description, but qualified. Perhaps not something I'd eat if served on a plate, as they're considered more of carrying-animals, even pets, and thus there's a bit of a boundary which you wouldn't step across. On the other hand - good salami's good salami, and this culinary use is culturally accepted ... I'm sorry.

Rabbit meat's a difficult one. There's a tradition in our cultural sphere of eating rabbit meat, but I suppose answering that question becomes a moot point, there's so little meat on an actual rabbit that I won't want to go near it anyhow.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, December 28th, 2018 @ 08:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I already eat taboo food, Pig and Cow are taboo in Judaism/Islam and Hinduism respectivley

I've also eaten (mentioned in this thread) Squid, Black pudding (very nice) and haggis, I don't see anything disgusting about the ingredients for these either. I don't know why someone could fuss about eating rabbit (very nice) and it has plenty of meat for a meal (more than pigeon for eg.) and although I've never eaten squirrel I don't think it's a bad idea as some have suggested to introduce it to help reduce the population of greys, it's a ready food source . People used to have to eat everything in the 'good ol' days' when they were poorer, so there are lots of 'interesting' offal recipies about... it's also my belief that a lot of so called 'delicacies' (sheeps balls, chicken's bunghole, rotten shark and so on) were really only called so to try and make people eat the gross bits

I suppose, I would eat most things, I guess the 'worst' thing i've eaten is Veal (I didn't buy it though!) and I wouldn't mind trying some of those insect dishes, just to see what it's like (chocolate-dipped ants might be nice too )

Senior Member Stygian Cellarius's Avatar
    Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Wales
    Subrace
    Sindarin
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Ontological Cryptanalyst
    Politics
    Religion
    Spiritual Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I wouldn't eat Cat or Dog, but I'd eat just about anything else. Insects are delicious! Many people eat Crabs and Shrimp and they are nothing more than insects of the Sea. So their protest of Insectivorism doesn't make a lot of sense IMO (although I understand the psychology behind it).
    I've eaten rabbit, frog, alligator, lizard, crayfish and salamander tails before. None which I found repulsive. Insects are my favorite of all taboo foods though. Lately I've been very curious as to how brain tastes. If I get an opportunity, I will certainly sit down to a dish.
    yDNA: R1a1a1
    mtDNA: H4a1
    Ancestry Painting: 100% European
    23andme Global Similarity: Dead center of English Cluster

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Taboo foods are only taboo foods outwith the culture in which they are consumed. For example, as we all know, pork is one of the most common meats where we come from, but it grosses the Muslims and Jews out.
    Naturally, this theme is about taboo foods from your culture's view, not from the Jewish or Muslim culture. It would be senseless then because Europeans eat pork as a normal meat, and other things which a re taboo to other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by infratetraskelion View Post
    Many people eat Crabs and Shrimp and they are nothing more than insects of the Sea. So their protest of Insectivorism doesn't make a lot of sense IMO (although I understand the psychology behind it).
    It's not only the psychology. Insects are very varied, and vary in the taste. For example at the taboo dinner the cooks had to inject some insects with soy sauce, because they didn't have any taste. Someone who likes chicken won't necessarily like duck, turkey, goose, pigeon or other kinds of birds, just because they're birds. Same happens with eating fish. Some kinds of fish are more popular than others. It makes a lot of sense in my view, because what we eat is connected to taste. If something tastes bad, it doesn't matter what it is, peoples don't eat it.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Engaged parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I got lost in a forest once for a day,
    and lost my backpack,
    with the food and water,
    so I ate ants and larvae,
    which didn't taste good at all.
    I did it because I saw it on TV.
    The only thing I avoided was mushrooms,
    because I was afraid of intoxication.
    I probably would have survived without them,
    but I was afraid of dying.
    Another time I swallowed insects was accidental,
    when I was eating an apple which looked healthy,
    but I felt something gummy in my mouth which moved,
    it was a worm!
    So my answer is:
    in a survival situation absolutely.
    But otherwise no.
    I like to enjoy food that tastes good.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Well, it depends. I´m in favour of our typical local Germanic and Bavarian cuisine so I guess I´m never endangered of eating any cats or dogs, for example.

I´m quite picky about the meat I consume. Generally I prefer eating meat of pigs, cows, chickens and venison over everything else.

On the other hand, I´d never eat seafood! I know the practise of eating seafood is very common with Germanic people who´re living at the seaside but it´s no part of our regional cuisine. The simple thought of eating mussels, crabs or shrimps disgusts me. For me, that´s also exotic cuisine...or taboo food.

Let me see, what kind of animals have I eaten in my life:

-Cows
    -Pigs
    -Chickens
    -Turkeys
    -Roes and Deers
    -Rabbits ( one- two times a year)
    -Ducks (same as above )
    -Chamois (seldom but very tasty)
    -Fishs (very seldom)
    -Sheeps (very seldom)
    -Horses (a distant family member once served horse salami at a family gathering and I´ve eaten some bits without asking before. So it was accidentally. It wasn´t that bad but I wouldn´t buy it deliberately)

I wouldn´t eat cats/dogs, insects, reptiles and amphibious food like frogs under any circumstances. Okay, maybe to prevent dying of starvation, but that´s a completely other issue. Have you ever heard of that Uruguayan rugby team? Their plane crashed over the Andes in 1972 and they had to eat the meat of their dead comrades to survive!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay...rce_Flight_571

"Even with this strict rationing, their food stock dwindled quickly. Furthermore, there was no natural vegetation or animals on the snow-covered mountain. The group thus survived by collectively making a decision to eat flesh from the bodies of their dead comrades. This decision was not taken lightly, as most were classmates or close friends. "

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 07:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    On the other hand, I´d never eat seafood! I know the practise of eating seafood is very common with Germanic people who´re living at the seaside but it´s no part of our regional cuisine. The simple thought of eating mussels, crabs or shrimps disgusts me. For me, that´s also exotic cuisine...or taboo food.
    You've never eaten anything from the sea, not even Tuna? Good seafood, especially crab, lobster, shrimp, etc. are one of the things that make life worth living for me. One time I ate thresher shark on a trip to California, and I gotta say it might be the best thing I've ever tasted.

I respect your devotion to all things Bavarian though. It must take a lot of will power to stay away from all the delicious cakes and pastries.

Have you ever heard of that Uruguayan rugby team? Their plane crashed over the Andes in 1972 and they had to eat the meat of their dead comrades to survive!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay...rce_Flight_571
    A movie was made about that incident back in the nineties; it was called "Alive" if memory serves. It was a Hollywood movie, but it wasn't 1/2 bad actually.

Anyway, as for myself... is Polish sausage a taboo food here on Skadi? If so, forgive me for saying this but Polish sausage is my favorite kind of sausage. I love its spicy flavor.

As for eating dog meat, that's up there with cannibalism in my book. Dogs are truly man's best friend.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Some of the Negroes in the Southern U.S. eat opposum, I would never eat one they are the most discusting creature in North America.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast