.....As DNA-based ancestral researching gets more advanced, I hope that genetic profiles will be able to zero in on specific subsets of the original Germanic peoples. For instance, will a genetic profile ever be able to differentiate between Frankish and Saxon ancestral genes? During the Germanic migrations into northern Europe, it appears that the Saxons arrived before the Franks. However, the Franks eventually became dominant; first under the Merovingians, then followed by the Karlovingians,
The Franks enter recorded history around the year 50, with an invasion across the Rhine into the Roman Empire. They are first mentioned in the Tabula Peutingeriana. Modern scholars for that period identify groups, including the Batavians, who inhabited the lower Rhine valley between the Zuyder Zee and the river Wesel. The Frankish confederation probably began to coalesce in the 230s. The Salian Franks invaded the Roman Empire and were accepted as Foederati. By the end of the fifth century, the Salian Franks extended their footprint on Roman soil to a territory including the Netherlands, Belgium and Northern Gaul. There they encountered other peoples of Frankish ethnicity. Franks appear in Roman texts as both allies and enemies at different times. In the 5th century, numerous small Frankish kingdoms existed, among them the one in what is now Cologne. They gave rise to the Merovingian dynasty in the 5th century. Clovis was the greatest Merovingian king. By the 490s, Clovis had conquered all the Frankish kingdoms to the west of the River Maas, leaving only the Ripuarian Franks' Merovingian kingdom (481–751)
.....The Karlovingian dynasty supplanted the Merovingians. Their zenith came with the reign of Charlemagne. He was truly the Emperor of the West. His army crushed the Saxons under Wittekind.
.....As an amateur genealogist, I have been trying for years to prove a descent from Charlemagne for myself. But the main Charlemagne hereditary society is very stringent and sticky when it views membership applications, My paternal ancestors are traceable and documented in Hesse-Darmstadt for 420 years, Perhaps future breakthroughs in genetic technology will allow a living person to prove a lineage back to a famed personage who lived 1,200 years ago.
Georg