Thread: Are Protestants and Catholics Getting Along Better These Days?

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 @ 10:48 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Ancestry
    Scotland,Norway,Finland,Denmark etc.
    Subrace
    Need to figure it out.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Rhode Island Rhode Island
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate.
    Religion
    Presbyterian/ now Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool Are Protestants and Catholics Getting Along Better These Days?

I come from a family that is mainly Protestants (Presbyterians), most of them if not all of them married Catholics. It caused an uproar in my family, there is still a bitter hatrid, you could cut the tension with a Knife. I am not relgious at all, but my immediate family wouldn't really care if I married someone outside my religious background, as long as it wasn't beyond the rediculous. I noticed when I went back home to Glasgow the Bitterness between Catholics and Protestants isn't as bad as it used to be. Is it a new generation of people, or just a culture change. A few generations ago my family members would get isolated from the family if they married outside Protestantism. Are Catholics more bitter about Protestantism, or is it the other way around or equal. I am not religious, I am just curious if that stigma still exists. I know it strongly does In the Glaswegian Celtic and Rangers battles :-)

Last Online
    Monday, June 7th, 2010 @ 01:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Maybe the differences between Protestants and Catholics seem petty when there are Muslim potential candidates for marriage. But I don't know, we don't have that situation here (Protestants/Catholics).

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I'm from Ireland and have lived here all my life, so I know a bit about the situation here. Relations are still pretty standoffish in parts of Northern Ireland.There would still be areas in Belfast, where a Catholic or Protestant would not know any member of the other tradition personally, and in these areas both comunities live completely parallel lives.

The reason for this is fairly straight forward. When a place is a war zone for 30 years it takes more than a few years of relative peace before life becomes normal again between the waring factions. Probably it will take until two or three generations grow up which have never known the troubles before relations between Catholics and Protestants in the north resemble that in other parts of Europe.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    I live in a country that is overwhelmingly Lutheran, and about seventy percent of the population belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran church. Only about 2 percent of Lutherans go to church weekly, and I suspect the vast majority are "cultural Lutherans", where church participation is limited to holidays like Christmas or major milestones like baptism or marriage. I think that for many Lutherans here, Lutheranism is more of an ethnic marker, as opposed to a set of beliefs or moral guidelines.

Catholics, on the other hand, number around 15.000 (only 50 percent are natives). Most Catholics I know are married to Lutherans. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have witnessed a lot of animosity between Catholics and Lutherans, at least in the realm of marriage and extended family relations. Whether this stems from actual religious differences or the fact that the Catholic partner is usually a foreigner isn't always clear, but the aggression and mistrust usually comes from the Lutheran side of the family. Some of it is very, very ugly. I am not trying to denigrate Lutherans by any means; in other countries, I've known of Catholic parents who are appalled that their child married a Protestant.

In the society at large, I see some degree of suspicion and mistrust towards Catholics, but nothing close to the situation in Northern Ireland, for example.
    Let us not desire delights, daughters; we are well-off here; the bad inn lasts for only a night.
    -St. Teresa of Avila

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 07:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Frankish
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Völkisch traditionalist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    In the society at large, I see some degree of suspicion and mistrust towards Catholics, but nothing close to the situation in Northern Ireland, for example.
    This low level distrust is probably still somewhat more prevalent in countries which became completely Protestant, such as England or Finland. But on the continent the discinction has no social or political relevance at all anymore since 1945 - Christian democrat parties united all the Christian voters in Flanders, the Netherlands and Germany. The question whether someone is Protestant or Catholic won't even pop up in people's minds over here. For us Flemings & the Dutch it is purely an after thought, it has zero importance in any kind of interaction between our peoples.
    "If we were going to stand in darkness, best we stand in a darkness we had made ourselves.” ― Douglas Coupland, Shampoo Planet

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chlodovech For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 12:49 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    "Christian democrat parties united all the Christian voters in Flanders, the Netherlands and Germany..........."
    There is nothing Christian about the parties anymore, they are CINOS, Christians in name only.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlodovech View Post
    This low level distrust is probably still somewhat more prevalent in countries which became completely Protestant, such as England or Finland.
    This makes perfect sense.
    Let us not desire delights, daughters; we are well-off here; the bad inn lasts for only a night.
    -St. Teresa of Avila

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 06:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Conservative/Libertarian
    Religion
    Mormon/Noahide/Eastern thoughts
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Many in my country are very negative about the Catholic church as an institution. However, most people would not let that affect Catholic believers. Almost all Catholics in my country are foreigners so very few natives join the Catholic faith. I know a few who actually did but they are exceptions (one joined but have left it now).

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    I have never sensed or observed any significant animosity being expressed between Catholics and Protestants in my community.

However, my personal experience with the hierarchy, and formal rituals practiced by the Catholic church, while I was formally engaged to an RN from a devoutly Catholic family, was not a comfortable one.

The last time I visited the rectory to consult with the priest who was counseling us for our upcoming wedding ceremony, I was greeted at the door by two pre-teen boys wearing only briefs, which I found to be extremely disturbing.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post: