My nephew has purchased a genetic profile from 23andme for $ 350. 23andMe is a privately-held genomics and biotechnology company based in Mountain View, CA. It purports that it can enable consumers to understand their own genetic information. Google has invested $3.9M in 23andMe, whose co-founder Anne Wojcicki is married to Google co-founder Sergey Brin. Genentech may also be invested in 23andMe. Their website lists many prestigious PhDs and MDs as "Advisors". It appears to have about 20 employees. The weird corporate name seems to allude to the claim that all the principals have 23 pairs of chromosomes.

A Co-founder: Linda Avery

In 2008, New York State's Department of Health sent warning letters to six online genetic testing companies, including 23andme, notifying them that they can neither offer New York state residents genetic tests without a permit nor without authorization from a physician.
Here is an excerpt from my nephew's genetic profile:
On the male side ancestors are from this group:
Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1
Today R1b1b2a1a1 is found mostly on the fringes of the North Sea in England, Germany and the Netherlands, where it reaches levels of one-third. That distribution suggests that some of the first men to bear the haplogroup in their Y-chromosomes were residents of Doggerland, a real-life Atlantis that was swallowed up by rising seas in the millennia following the Ice Age. Doggerland was a low-lying region of forests and wetlands that must have been rich in game; today, fishing trawlers in the North Sea occasionally dredge up the bones and tusks of the mastadons that roamed there. Doggerland had its heyday between about 12,000 years ago, when the Ice Age climate began to ameliorate, and 9,000 years ago, when the meltwaters of the gradually retreating glaciers caused sea levels to rise, drowning the hunter's paradise. Doggerland's inhabitants retreated to the higher ground that is now the North Sea coast.
My nephew feels that he got his money's worth, because his genetic profile assures him that he has no inherent risk in his genes for major disease nor deformity nor major medical problems, as he advances into middle and old age.
Georg