@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    684 Posts

Canada Threatens US with 'Don't Buy American'

As the "Buy American" plan in US economic stimulus legislation draws increasing criticism, Canadian municipal leaders threaten to retaliate against the movement, which it deems contrary to free trade.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities, in an effort to get the "Buy American" restrictions removed, took a step to support communities which refuse to trade with countries that put business restrictions on products and services from Canada.

The move came in response to a stimulus package passed by US Congress in February which requires projects funded with stimulus money to use only US-made steel, iron and manufactured goods.

The "Buy American Act" is designed to create jobs - or rather prevent more job losses - in the United States in a bid to revive the country's recession-hit economy.

"This US protectionist policy is hurting Canadian firms, costing Canadian jobs and damaging Canadian efforts to grow our economy in the midst of a worldwide recession," said Sherbrooke, Quebec, Mayor Jean Perrault, also president of the federation that represents cities and towns across Canada.

"Leaders in the United States have to understand this could have unintended consequences," said Clark Somerville, acting mayor of Halton Hills, one of the sponsors of the retaliatory measure.

The municipal officials endorsed the measure despite Canadian trade officials' disgruntlement with the proposal who cite fears that any retaliation effort could have unintended consequences of its own for Canada.

Canada has agreed to give trade officials and US critics of the "Buy American" more time to work on the issue by suspending implementation for 120 days.

Following tougher security measures along the US-Canada borders and “Buy American” restrictions, relations between the two neighbors seem to be experiencing difficulties.

Citing that more than 250 Canadian companies have lost contracts -- and subsequently jobs -- due to the act Jayson Myers, president of the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters, said that the two sides could "get into some retaliatory trade war around procurement."
    http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?i...onid=351020701

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Engaged
    Politics
    Not liberal
    Religion
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    How much do they buy from America, anyway?

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by triedandtru View Post
    How much do they buy from America, anyway?
    Exports to Canada from the USA are 21.4%. So, we are I believe your largest export partner.

Edit: Actually I have seen a couple numbers now looking a little further, but they all seem to be around a fifth (20% or higher)

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 @ 11:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German/Dutch/Austrian/Danish
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Free trade? Diplomacy is my last concern right now, frankly. The US economy is crumbling because of free trade. We only buy products from other countries and from American companies whose factories are in other countries, sending all of our money outside of the country. I don't care right now if we offend Canada, honestly. Do they want us to all be starving on the streets? America should be our first concern, then diplomacy.

If we all buy American, then our companies will be forced to bring their factories back into the US, and we will all have jobs again, and the money we spend on essential products will be put back into the US economy.

As it is now, we are all being forced to take active part in the destruction of our own beloved country, because the only products on the shelves are from other countries, and since we have no jobs, we cannot afford the few expensive American made products.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Engaged
    Politics
    Not liberal
    Religion
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freigeistige View Post
    Free trade? Diplomacy is my last concern right now, frankly. The US economy is crumbling because of free trade. We only buy products from other countries and from American companies whose factories are in other countries, sending all of our money outside of the country. I don't care right now if we offend Canada, honestly. Do they want us to all be starving on the streets? America should be our first concern, then diplomacy.

If we all buy American, then our companies will be forced to bring their factories back into the US, and we will all have jobs again, and the money we spend on essential products will be put back into the US economy.

As it is now, we are all being forced to take active part in the destruction of our own beloved country, because the only products on the shelves are from other countries, and since we have no jobs, we cannot afford the few expensive American made products.
    And in looking out for America we should keep our factories, jobs, and means of making materials here instead of sending them Asia-bound.

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    English, Germanic, Norwegion
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Law Enforcement
    Politics
    Germanic Seperatist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All western countries are underseige from the Yellow Peril.
    Free trade?
    Free exploitation of Western Countries would be more appropriate.
    Made in China.
    Made In Taiwan.
    Your Customer Service Centre for that so-called American made item is in India.
    But what frightens me the most is that China owns the vast majority of American foreign debt. And no doubt has significant control over all foreign debt.
    That is a powerful and tight noose around the neck of America and the so-called Free-World.
    And I doubt there is any coincidence about that.
    The only light in this economic tunnel is that this economic crisis is forcing the various western governments to re-evaluate free-trade and introduce protectionist measures to preserve their individual economies.
    Which would appear to be what America is doing here.
    America has introduced several protectionist measures and Canada is concerned as undoubtedly this affects their exports to the States. They are merely attempting to call the States bluff. But in reality Canada needs the States more than the States need Canada.
    Free Trade has only harmed Western Countries.
    These so-called bail-outs are only postponing a far more serious economic crisis.
    This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 22nd, 2009 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Threatens = Bad choice of wording.

Threatens seems like a headline intended to grab the readers attention. It should go more like Canada and U.S. agree on returning to strong national before international economies. I guess it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

In any case with me being just an armchair economist I can't help but see this as a good idea. We don't need to threaten anybody we just all need to become more independent as nations. After that we need to become more independent as individuals.

I mean will the American economy collapse if I don't buy my burgers from McDonalds. Will there be rioting in the streets if I rent my videos from the independent genre specific store instead of Blockbuster.

Of course we need trade with other nations but only the meaningful kind. I see the economy as directly related to culture and if everyone idolizes Coca-Cola as the only soft drink worth downing. Then they should seriously consider moving to U.S.A. In the game of economic imperialism it is my nations exports I want to see in other countries not vice versa. Unless as I stated before completely necessary.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutschland
    Country
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Svartljos View Post
    Exports to Canada from the USA are 21.4%. So, we are I believe your largest export partner.

Edit: Actually I have seen a couple numbers now looking a little further, but they all seem to be around a fifth (20% or higher)
    Well with the Messiah leading the US, we are not going to need anymore oil....so I guess CDNs could drink it?

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prodeutsch View Post
    Well with the Messiah leading the US, we are not going to need anymore oil....so I guess CDNs could drink it?
    Mmm oil.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 12:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm not sure that this is the right attitude to have. Canada has several things that the United States is starting to run short of: oil, fresh water, and lumber. Canada also has significant mining industries and for the time being American corporations have generally have had it pretty good in Canada. Moreover, the retreat of American manufactures from Canada may allow for the emergence of Canadian-based industries to replace them, or other manufactures from other parts of the world to become better established (eg. Toyota). So manufacturing jobs are shifted back to the US, but what happens if Canadians don't want to buy those products anymore? Are jobs really being saved or created?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast