Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: As a Child; What Did You Want to Be When You Grew Up?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

As a Child; What Did You Want to Be When You Grew Up?

We're all familiar with the "when I grow up" phase from the childhood. I wanted to be a doctor. But by the time I was in gymnasium, I decided biology was too difficult for me. I wasn't very good at the exact sciences, like biology, geography, maths, physics, chemistry. And you?

When I was 9 or so I wanted to be an astronaut. Sort of wandered without any goal until I was about 15. Decided I wish to enter the computer field when I got older due to the high pay most employees received. I put Z-E-R-O effort into high school. I participated mainly in the history and computer classes but received D's and F's in everything else simply because it wasn't worth my time. So I dropped out and finished high school a year early through a correspondence program from some school in Illinois. Started junior college when I was 17; still planning to become a computer programmer. After failing Math 112 twice, I decided that it wouldn't work out. I had not taken a calc course yet and I was already failing math. My mother has a masters in mathematics so I don't know what my problem was. To be fair to myself I failed because I HATED doing homework so I would try to finish everything in like two days before a test.

On a slightly humorous note, there was an 'incident' regarding what I wished to be when I was a child. When I was 6, possibly 7, I saw a piece from Triumph of the Will on some history channel program where the SS are marching in their dress uniforms. I thought they looked so neat that I turned to my parents and said I wanted to be like them. I was grounded for a week.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:19 AM
    Status
    Brief Absence
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Atlantid-Keltic Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Schaumburg-Lippe Schaumburg-Lippe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wanted to be a butcher.

They had nice red ties when they were selling meat, and they looked neat and proper and acted politely. They exuded decency and competence.

As a grown up, I chose a much dirtier profession instead...

Last Online
    Saturday, May 12th, 2012 @ 04:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Germany, Ireland, Wales
    Subrace
    Sindarin
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Ontological Cryptanalyst
    Politics
    Religion
    Spiritual Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Paleontologist

When I was a child I was obsessed with Dinosaurs as many kids are. For as long as I can remember, up until that thought slowly faded away (probably around 12) I wanted to be a Paleontologist. After 12 years I never thought about what I wanted to be and I believe the question was never again proposed.

I ended going to school for Anthropology, not too different. Although, I never finished.
    yDNA: R1a1a1
    mtDNA: H4a1
    Ancestry Painting: 100% European
    23andme Global Similarity: Dead center of English Cluster

One with Nature
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Dacian (Moldavia, Transylvania) & German (Buchenland, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óðins mær
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Well, it may sound strange, but I wanted to become a warrior, like the Sailor Scouts. I was obsessed with Sailor Moon cartoon, and I was dreaming everyday about becoming like them, to fight the evil in the world, and so on.

First of all, Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon) was the same zodiac sign as I am. She was also Princess Serenity (Princess of the Moon), and the main character, the most important one, who was essential for the victory against the enemies. I had some things in common with her, and I wished to be the Princess of the Moon too, and to marry the Prince of the Earth, Endymion. I loved her blonde hair and blue eyes. I wasn't a big fan of Sailor Moon, but I actually felt like being her )

Then, Rei Hino (Sailor Mars). I wanted to be a priestess like her, to have her knowledge, her powers and connections with the spiritual world.

At last but not at least, Michiru Kaioh (Sailor Neptun). She was older and more mature than Rei, and she also had strong connection with the spiritual world. Very good intuition, which I wanted to have too. She was a very talented violonist and painter, and I wanted to become, too, a violonist and painter. I loved her hair color. She owned the mirror, which in Japanese culture is one of the Imperial symbols of power, so she had an important role due to that.

I wanted to become a violonist, and I was repeating all day long to my parents and grandparents that I wanted to learn to play the violin. But all I received as a birthday present wasn't a real violin, but a toy in a form of a violin, which was singing alone. Anyway, I'm still in love with this musical instrument, I think it's the most noble one. (I also love the drums, but they deal with something else, I cannot compare them )

I wanted to become a painter and I could become so. In the fourth grade I wanted to go to the high school of arts, but my parents opposed me. In the fifth and in the sixth grade I had a personal exhibition of drawings (made at the drawing classes) in my school. Also in the sixth grade I had an optional class called 'Painting on glass', and I was very happy with it. All my colegues were painting religious icons, I was the only one painting something else: my first painting was of two Sailor Moon characters, Usagi and Chibiusa, and the second was something with abstract symbols, entire created by me. They both were exhibited at the entrance in my school, but I regret that today they aren't there anymore. It was my work and it would have been nice to take them home instead of being threw away, or something similar, when my general school didn't need them anymore.

In the eight grade I wasn't thinking anymore about study painting, I wanted to go to the monastery. Then I finally changed my mind and went to a high school, at mathematics-informatics specialization (as it was the most general possible). In the tenth grade it was more clear what I could do, and I transferred to social sciences specialization (I started to like very much history, and was in love with the Scandinavian countries). Then, in the eleventh grade I painted on a A0 paper the image of the 'Eternal Tears of Sorrow - The last one for life' EP, for a guy I was in love with, and my drawing teacher liked it very much and encouraged me to practice more in the domain. I decided that I was going to apply for the Faculty of Arts, Paiting section, and I started to practice on that. But in the twelfth grade my father decided to strongly oppose my decision, as it was waste of money from his point of view. I wanted to go to Klausenburg for this faculty, as in Iassy it wasn't so good. My father also opposed my decision to go to a faculty in other city, if there was something similar in Iassy. He suggested me to go to the Faculty of Letters in Jassy, but I didn't want to, I wanted to go in Klausenburg, if not for Painting, at least for Norwegian Language and Culture, or something similar related to the Scandinavian countries. But from now on, the facts enter in other domain, no more related to childhood wishes Anyway, I have no regrets at all
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 @ 08:12 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Ahnenerbe · Genetic Spirituality
    Religion
    Paganism · Pantheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought Führer und Reichskanzler would be a pretty good job when I was about ten. Some friends and me even founded a "party" for this purpose, but it wasn't really successful, as I must admit. But German rightwing parties are used to this experience, as I suppose. But at least we had a very gross "program", and a flag (of course) and the most interesting uniforms… and badges for all sorts of formation which we wanted to create.
    When I got older I realised that's no proper way anymore to do it. But I also found out there are even 50-year-old fellows that still didn't develop much further since the stadium we had in the age of ten.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 27th, 2020 @ 10:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    All through my childhood and adolesence I wanted to become a police officer or a soldier, I thought then and still think being a cop or a soldier is pretty much the coolest thing there is . I also had a phase where I wanted to become a stand up comedian because I like telling jokes and making people laugh.

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 @ 04:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    English, Germanic, Norwegion
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Law Enforcement
    Politics
    Germanic Seperatist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still the child with dreams...

As a child I wanted to be a doctor.

My grandfather was a medic in World War 1. He didn't believe in the War against Germany but felt obliged to contribute. He was offered the George Cross for his heroics, which is the highest civilian award a British civilian can be offered. Similar to the Victoria Cross for civilians. He turned it down.

In hindsight I should've pursued that career.

Growing up I loved the arts. Raised as an Anglican I was very much involved in the Church. I sang in Cathedral choirs until my voice broke. One day I sung soprano like an angel. The next day I couldn't sing a note. Still can't.

I love art. But have absoulutely zero artistic talent. I truely envy those with artistic talent.

Writing. I have been writing a book in my head for as long as I can remember. It is good. Damn good. I just lack my muse to commit myself to that endeavour.

However, for all of that, I pursued a career in the military and law enforcement.

Now as I reflect, I have achieved alot, but lost so much.

Going forward I look inside myself.

Find my muse.

Write my book.

Then politics.

It's about time Asatru entered the modern political arena.

What better place then here? The Final Frontier.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 06:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    My earliest wish was to become a firefighter, during my whole childhood the courage and strength of the firefighters impressed and inspired me - but while growing up and becoming more serious I've made a second plan when I turned 13 and got interested in the ancient germanics more and more, so I decided that I would become an archaeologist, specialized in the age between germanic migration and the viking age. I started to gain knowledge gradually from various books that had at least one page dealing with the respective topics and within a few years I managed to become quite a walking library specialized in early germanics. I remember once getting into trouble in school because I had a quarrel with my history teacher regarding the fact that the period between the fall of the Roman Empire and the establishment of the first christian states is a huge gap about which, "strangely", no one mentions anything - however, I managed to come out victorious because she let me do a presentation about the "ruthless mindless barbarians who crushed the romans".
    Further, in the following years I realized that this plan would be impossible for now because there is no such specialization in archeology here and the only preparation one can get deals with romanian history. So I decided to wait some more and look for possibilities abroad.
    :Überschöpfung:

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 @ 04:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    English, Germanic, Norwegion
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Law Enforcement
    Politics
    Germanic Seperatist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrodnand View Post
    My earliest wish was to become a firefighter, during my whole childhood the courage and strength of the firefighters impressed and inspired me
    9-11 really opened my eyes to the true honour and courage of firefighters.
    The sacrifice of firefighters knows no bounds.
    Coming from a military background you always anticipate losses and counteract that with strategy and fallback positions. Accountable losses.
    Firefighters refuse to accept losses. They keep fighting.
    True heroes.
    Sacrifice and Courage.
    To the bitter end.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast