Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

How Do You View the Bible?

Dagna asked in the theme about turning cheeks and loving enemies if such sayings should be taken literally. Hence my question to who wants to discuss: the Bible - do you take it literally or do you "interpret" what is says as a sort of teaching?

I've said my view, that the teachings of God shouldn't be taken absolutely literally. There are some tales told in the Bible like the good Samaritan and others. In my view it's more important the morals and ethics extracted from these stories. And to you?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    mainly UP
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Natural Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    Dagna asked in the theme about turning cheeks and loving enemies if such sayings should be taken literally. Hence my question to who wants to discuss: the Bible - do you take it literally or do you "interpret" what is says as a sort of teaching?

I've said my view, that the teachings of God shouldn't be taken absolutely literally. There are some tales told in the Bible like the good Samaritan and others. In my view it's more important the morals and ethics extracted from these stories. And to you?
    That is some bits that have been extensively abused by people with double agendas. Perhaps you should quote some text so that people can raise opinions on them. On a general note, I'd say that the bible consists of quite some different types of texts history, laws, guidelines, parables, sermons, ontologies, prophecies and many more.

The subject you raised is actually (biblical) hermeneutics.
    "And God proclaims as a first principle to the rulers, and above all else, that there is nothing which they should so anxiously guard, or of which they are to be such good guardians, as of the purity of the race. They should observe what elements mingle in their offspring;..." Plato Politeia

Last Online
    Thursday, July 14th, 2016 @ 09:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German/Scottish/Dutch
    Ancestry
    Saxony-Anhalt
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Yes
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Let's talk...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The bible is a collection of things different people had written about their experiences with God (as they understood them and were able to recount them), which collection was compiled by some later guys who selected from the larger field of all available writings (meanings the ones that hadn't been burned or lost) the ones they thought were authoritative. Try to make it more than that and things get a little weird. Leave it at that and it's a very useful book.

Last Online
    Sunday, August 29th, 2010 @ 02:37 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Ancestry
    jhmgj
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Greenland Greenland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Used as a tool to manipulate people.
    Also re-written so many times its ridiculous.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The Bible for me now is at most an interesting collection of stories with a religious nature dealing with an other people (and all apostles where at most Judo-Christians). It can serve as a nice way to know what these people find important enough to put together in a religious cannon. This goes more for the Old Testament then the New one. And in the case of the New one it goes for what the early Catholic power holders found important enough.

Eala Freia Fresena
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2020 @ 07:31 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Friese
    Ancestry
    Friesland
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Married
    Occupation
    selfemployed
    Politics
    rightwing
    Religion
    none/pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Religious writings are in general an explanation of religious experiences or exercises. This are given in mundane pictures. In the bible the 'pictures' are from what Horgalles so nonchalantly writes:

'history, laws, guidelines, parables, sermons, ontologies, prophecies and many more.'

For example 'to turn the other cheek' is what Jesus said in contrast to 'an eye for an eye'.

Both are esoterically truthful statements.

'To turn the other cheek' means on an esoterical level that what is send to you by higher spiritual beings is something you should accept. Follow the direction you are given. For a monk it means if somebody attacks you don't reply in even manner. A monk's mind is turned on God and if something from the outside disturbs him he doesn't fight it but accepts it and turns back to the rememberance of God. He simply leaves it behind without dwelling on it. For a normal person it means to be peaceful in ones reaction and not dwell on negativity as that is the opposite of God (which ultimately is your own higher consciousness). It is like the chinese describe the wisdom of a grassleaf: the storm runs over it and bends it but afterwards it stands up again and grows towards heaven. Whereas an oaktree doesn't bend but might well be destroyed by the storm.

'An eye for an eye' is a practice a monk uses if he is in deep meditations and mundane thoughts enter his mind and going to distract him. For any given mundane thought (eye) he will answer it with a religious practise thought (eye). For example: he is in meditation and the emotion of anger is producing thoughts in him (lets say for a perceived disrespect by an older monk) then for any generated thought coming from there he will produce for example the religious practice 'woman should be silent in church'. It means 'woman' as a key for emotion and 'church' as a key for mediatation is going to answer his mundane thoughts until the emotion succumbs. If he would dwell on it, his whole meditation would go bonkers and he would fall out of his higher form of consciousness and succumb to the lower form of anger.

In the warlike time of the ancient hebrew the practise was a form of selfpreservation because anyone who wouldn't strike back would lose all his belongings including his family. At Jesus' time the roman authority would stop that type of crime thererfore another practice was useful.

The trick lays in the interpretation. As Jesus was talking about attaining closeness to God I would interprete it in the above way.

In my own daily practise I would use 'an eye for an eye' as if you attack I do too. If the cost would be too big I use 'turn the other cheek' and pay the CHP ticket in time
    weel nich will dieken dej mot wieken