Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Way of the Gods - My Perspective In Questions And Answers

Q: What is Asatru?
    A: Asatru is the Way of the Gods. I have chosen this term to represent the tradition of the Northern European peoples as opposed to heathen which has negative connotations as it is tied in with the giants.

Q: Is Asatru a religion?
    A: The religious form is particularly Semitic and arose from the classical Greco-Roman period as a social binding. Religion is extremely limited and emphasizes morals and exoterism often to the point of reducing all viewpoints to the moral, which is the definition of moralism. On the contrary, Asatru is a tradition in which all freemen participate in esoterism of which goal is not mere preparation and morality but active spirituality, that is, attainment of spiritual states while in life, which religious adherents only gain access to after death.

Q: Are the gods beings?
    A: No, being implies all things in motion under the sun (that is, in the cosmos) and thus under the power of death. The gods are formless and immortal, beyond the sun. In this there is similarity with a gospel verse which says that God is a Spirit and is worshipped in Spirit and Truth.

Q: Are the gods subject to fate?
    A: No, fate implies past and future existence and therefore mortality. Although there are certain conditions, the gods are formless and reside in the eternal present to rule till the end of the world whence a new world arises.

Q: Is there a concept of sin in Asatru?
    A: Sin is defined as any diversion on the path from the goal. Thus all falsehood and transgression is sinful or unlawful because it is opposed to the way of the gods. To accept falsehood is ignorance and to accept wrongdoing is injustice. The way of the gods is of principle and virtue.

Q: Do the Eddas teach moral lessons?
    A: No, like most ancient holy texts, the Eddas are not to be considered from a moral standpoint. The gods are beyond all duality and cannot do anything unlawful. The Eddas are symbolic and metaphysical.

Q: What are the gods, giants, elves, and dwarves?
    A: The gods are intellectual principles, supra-formal, relating to the Spirit; the giants are psychic, natural, formal, relating to the Soul; the elves and dwarves issue from the giants and are greater and lesser powers of the soul. The gods and giants are related as inner and outer aspects which can be made to work in harmony once ordered by the Spirit.

Q: Is there a creation myth?
    A: Creation is wholly Semitic, implying an event which has already occurred and can only occur once. Semitic religions are limited to the plane of being ignoring anything that is beyond it. Asatru teaches universal manifestation, taking into consideration four planes of existence: the gross or corporeal, subtle, formless, and unmanifested. The world is constantly being created and destroyed, which is recreated by the sacrifice after the manner of the gods or first sacrificers.

Q: What does sacrifice involve?
    A: To sacrifice is to dismember and reassemble the World Tree, which macrocosmically is the cosmos and microcosmically is the individual self. All rites are sacrificial in that they imply a death and rebirth of something. However, where an actual human sacrifice takes place in which the victim physically dies one may see a complete degeneration. In other words, this would only be done to enemies. True sacrifice is an inner mental operation or ritual formula, hence its meaning “to make sacred.” The giants are generally non-sacrificers or sacrifice improperly and are therefore unlawful.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2020 @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Is this your original thought, or is that written by someone else? In that case, please don't forget to cite the Source from which it is derived.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Monday, April 26th, 2010 @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wrote it the other day from scratch for Skadi, but the ideas no man can lay claim to since knowledge is not personal. If I post something written by someone else however I always cite the source.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    The main difference that truly parts Asatru from religion is that it does not prosetylize. The law is quality over quantity. Those who seek the gods find them, those who do not should not. Strength resides in refinement.

It is a mistake to separate humanity from the gods, this is the Semetic way. Of course the gods are beings. All beings are subject to the consequence of their actions. The difference between godhood and humanity is one merely of acceptance. The gods simply do not fear consequence. In the words of Theoderic in LOTR. 'No we can not win. But we will engage them in battle none the less.' Parallel to Odin fighting at Ragnarok, where he will meet his end.

The only sin is in acknowledging failure. Dishonorable, is any action that will bring a consequence that promotes self induced shame.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindefense View Post
    Those who seek the gods find them, those who do not should not.
    I don't think it is as black and white as that. There are those who are as guides.

It is a mistake to separate humanity from the gods
    All the info I have on ancient European traditions says otherwise.

Of course the gods are beings.
    There is no "of course" about it since those who say this don't, won't and can't offer any evidence that would suggest this. Then there is the fact that it is metaphysically incorrect. If the gods are ghosts of dead people then that would place them below the human state and make the celestial spheres a fantasy. People who believe this generally don't believe the gods created the universe or don't believe there is a realm beyond the subtle, which is to say that there is no causal realm nor anything beyond the cosmos. In effect, they strip away all that is godly from the gods in order to humanize them. But this is the Euhemerist error which is ungermanic. See my other post on how the ancients rejected anthropomorphism.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What a joke...........

And you are speaking for whom??
    Who have you studied with?
    How long have you been practicing Asatru, with other Folks.
    What Asatru organization are you a Member of or represent?
    What following do you have, within the Asatru Community?
    Your FAQ is so full of errors, relevant to actual practice, that the whole
    thing has no bearing on the reality of what Asatru is really about.
    It all looks like personal opinions mixed up with some esoteric conjecture.

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 09:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think being NOT an organized religion with dogmata anyone has to follow is an important part of the natural Germanic religion. Some communities practice their faith one way, while others do it another. That's like it always was and (hopefully) always will be.
    "Lever dot as slav."

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimsteinr View Post
    Your FAQ is so full of errors,
    hmmm, errors that no one can refute, errors perceived so only to "atheist" or liberal and often-compromising heathens whose aim is to modernize everything from a profane-scientific standpoint but who know nothing about traditional doctrines which very idea of an esoteric doctrine they oppose wrongly linking such to a "christian origin" or somesuch in support of their own individualism. No, I don't think I am joking one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    See my other post on how the ancients rejected anthropomorphism.
    In addition to this...

One must first understand the Sundoor in order to understand the City of the Gods and their nature. In man the cranial foramen at the top of the skull is the god-aperture which leads to liberation and the supra-individual states, hence above the head and not below. In architecture the sun-disk is the circular roof-plate at the top of the central pillar or World Axis which leads beyond the cosmos. In ancient times, it was common practice to ritually break the top of the skull so as to represent the exit of the spirit. Liberation, of course, could be attained while in life; they are the “perfected ones” or “movers-at-will” who although are still in the world are not of it. The point of this will not be lost as it clearly connects the gods with the supra-human and supernatural not infra-human and natural. The Sundoor is as a Fire that burns everything up thus barring the way to the heavens from the giants.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 @ 03:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavia.
    Country
    State
    California California
    Family
    Looking ;)
    Occupation
    Student and aspiring author
    Politics
    Pro-Monarchy
    Religion
    Open
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    This is a good idea but making an Asatru FAQ only really works from the viewpoint of an organization, to show the beliefs of the organization. You expressing your views on these things is interesting, but no more applicable to my views on then the Mormon articles of faith would be to a Baptist. As other's have asked, by what credentials do you make this, and who do you make it for? A better title for this thread would perhaps have been An Esoteric View on Asatru, or something to that extent.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So far there are two posts about truth belonging to an organization. I don't believe this is so, for if it were it would be cultish. The truth doesn't change from group to group; either one is right or wrong. I've looked into all the main asatru orgs as well as many other heathen/pagan groups and was not impressed in the least with any of them. I don't need a cult or organization to tell me something I already know, especially when we have completely different ideas of what constitutes the tradition in question. When orgs are involved, a lot of times it comes down to making money off its members and selling books. My truth is not for sale nor have I ever asked for money or material reward for anything that I have written or offered as advice.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast