View Poll Results: How Do You Pronounce "th" in the English Language?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the "s" in "sat".

4 12.12%
  • Like the "z" in "zen".

0 0%
  • Like the "d" in "dam".

7 21.21%
  • Another way. (specify it please!)

22 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Pronounce "th" in the English Language?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

How Do You Pronounce "th" in the English Language?

Based on this post here (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php...3&postcount=16), I'm curious how the foreign speakers of the English language pronounce the "th" in the word "that", for example. I pronounce it like the "s" in "sat", but I've heard peoples pronouncing it differently, like the "z" in "zen" or like the "d" in "dam".

PS. A little funny video on German pronunciation.

German pronunciation video

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siđr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I pronounce it like the "s" in "sat". One of my former English teachers has always criticized that I can´t pronounce the "th" ("tie häitsch"? ) properly. Well whatever, my oral English skills were and are always influenced by my German-Bavarian accent...

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I pronounce them the way they are meant to be pronounced. Pronounced as a ţ when it calls for its harder usage such as "through", "thorough", "heath" and potentially "meth" (though TBH I never use the latter word ) and pronouned as a đ when it calls for its softer usage such as in "that", "bathe", "lather", "rather", "scathe", "Heathen".

I don't really have that strong an accent, usually it's unplaceable though because essentially it has influences from Scotland (duh), England (associated with many English, my stepfather's mother, a former English flatmates etc.), South Africa (inevitably made it into my stepfather's accent)

My accent can also vary on who I talk to, funnily enough, when I'm drunk I speak with less of an accent than if I just tell a story ... and here: You never hear your own accent, so the English have said I bring some Scottish in and the Scots have said I bring some English in.

In some occasions, I supposedly do have a distinctively German note, especially when I have a dry mouth. When I converse with Scots, I always fall into a bit of a Scots-approaching accent, as a result of it being a dry language like German, I bring in some "German accent"; speaking with the English it is oft not as obvious.

However, even then I never have a problem with "th pronounciation". I do bring some "sing-sang" into the language though, that's something from my home dialect which I've not been able to discard, and don't wish to discard either.

PS: One thing I'm absolutely unable to do though is to roll my Rs like many Scots for example do, like grrrrrrreat" ... whenever I try to do that, I sorta roll it at the back of my throat as we do in Tyrol, rather than at the front like the Scots, the Finns or the Swedes do it.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I pronounce them the way they are meant to be pronounced. Pronounced as a ţ when it calls for its harder usage such as "through", "thorough", "heath" and potentially "meth" (though TBH I never use the latter word ) and pronouned as a đ when it calls for its softer usage such as in "that", "bathe", "lather", "rather", "scathe", "Heathen".

I don't really have that strong an accent, usually it's unplaceable though because essentially it has influences from Scotland (duh), England (associated with many English, my stepfather's mother, a former English flatmates etc.), South Africa (inevitably made it into my stepfather's accent)

My accent can also vary on who I talk to, funnily enough, when I'm drunk I speak with less of an accent than if I just tell a story ... and here: You never hear your own accent, so the English have said I bring some Scottish in and the Scots have said I bring some English in.

In some occasions, I supposedly do have a distinctively German note, especially when I have a dry mouth. When I converse with Scots, I always fall into a bit of a Scots-approaching accent, as a result of it being a dry language like German, I bring in some "German accent"; speaking with the English it is oft not as obvious.

However, even then I never have a problem with "th pronounciation". I do bring some "sing-sang" into the language though, that's something from my home dialect which I've not been able to discard, and don't wish to discard either.

PS: One thing I'm absolutely unable to do though is to roll my Rs like many Scots for example do, like grrrrrrreat" ... whenever I try to do that, I sorta roll it at the back of my throat as we do in Tyrol, rather than at the front like the Scots, the Finns or the Swedes do it.
    Uhhh, we don't pronounce the "th" in that like the "th" in meth.
    Say the word "the". You say the "th" in that like you do in the "th" in the.
    I hope that makes sense.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorsdottir View Post
    I hope that makes sense.
    I say the th in meth with a Ţ (or, voiceless th sound, what is that called, voiceless interdental fricative or something) but I obviously don't speak with any sort of Scottish dialect or accent being from Canada. Never heard it said like that before I must admit.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorsdottir View Post
    I hope that makes sense.
    Scottish pecularities. Queen's English essentially has it down as very different sounds. The one in "the" or "breathe" is remarkably soft, the one in "thorough" remarkably hard. The one in "meth" or "bath" is essentially an intermediate form, with leaning towards the harder "th" (Ţ) rather than the softer "th" (đ).

The Scots language (I maintain that it is a language in its own right, making this poll non-applicable to it ) does not know the über-soft transcription. It uses an "intermediate version" for the middle đ and starting Đ and a hard version for the starting and final ţ. I still wouldn't get your point though, as there's still a remarkable difference, which I hear every day regardless.

Within those Germanic languages/dialects that have mainting the đ and ţ
    affrictionate, Scots undoubtedly has the hardest rendering of these. Faroese has the softest rendering thereof, essentially its đ has almost become like the way the "silent h" is used in German.

Unless I misunderstood you and you just talked about "that" ... I never said it was pronounced immediately like "meth", instead the th in "that" sounds like the th in "breathe" and yes, like the th in "the" but, I claimed no different, did I?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    All these native English speakers are skewing the results :p. Unless they're from a particular dialect group such as Newfoundlanders who pronounce Ţ as t and đ as d, I think generally native-English speaking people know how to make the voiced and unvoiced dental fricatives.

One with Nature
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Dacian (Moldavia, Transylvania) & German (Buchenland, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óđins mćr
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    I think I pronounce it the way it should be pronounced. I started to learn English from the age of 8, and my father managed to make me pronounce both versions of "th" correctly. Even my English teacher from the general school pronounced it as "d" or "s", depending on the context, and she used to put me bad marks because I didn't want to pronounce like her. Hehe, my father did a great job

Anyway, I find it difficult to pronounce "ch" in Ich or in Milch, in German... I am not even sure how should I pronounce it... (I started to learn German recently)

Progressive Collectivist
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I voted for "d" but in the end it depends on the word in question, because I dont say "dink" to "think"

This = "dis"
    Thought = "thsout"

However, my pronunciation is not that good anyway, just be glad you dont hear me speaking in English and have just to cope with what I write on the Computer
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Well, Agrippa, I suppose there is a good reason why for the "Greater Bavarian Empire" you are the scholar, Valky is the executioner whilst I am the king and diplomat ... seems like I am after all the only one able to pronounce English correctly...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast