Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Rock & Roll Compatible with Germanic Identity?

Last Online
    Monday, April 26th, 2010 @ 04:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heavy metal wasn't made to dance to, so it should not be judged by this reaction. The headbanging and such was more a product of the band playing live which attempted to get the audience out of their seats.

Rock and metal are totally different, however, they are similar in that they're totally modern in the way that electric instruments manipulate sound in an unnatrual way. In this they are a clean break from folk and blues.

But there is metal and there is metal (the metal I like is derived more from classical music), nor is one expected to like every song a band plays. What I like is a complex and attractive melody, but what makes or breaks the song is the content of the lyrics. For me, art must have a sacred component to it (Sabbath's "National Acrobat" for instance), or else it is not art. What I cannot stand are songs about profane love or activities, which are entirely sentimental though meaningless from a spiritual or intellectual standpoint. Anything that drives the listener to lower and lower forms of life are therefore unhealthy, like what you see in modern dance music which is only about sexual relationships.

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago @ 09:11 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch_Bearer
    My point is, whatever scales genres such as black metal might use to create a misty and dark Germanic atmosphere or what have you, it is still, at its roots, a non-Germanic form of music that is conducive to anarchy. Honestly, would Burzum have been possible without Jimi Hendrix's role in the evolution of metal?
    The answer is definitely YES, it has been possible.
    One big misunderstanding about the early days of black metal is, that it has nothing to do with rock'n'roll. Burzum startet off and defined his sound with synthesizer music, as well as Isengard (both 89). It was unique back then, and it is still unique today, although there have been legions of musicians trying to follow the spirit.
    If you start to ban all un-germanic tools (in this case instruments), you would end banning stone buildings, hammers, knifes. All of them non-germanic inventions? So that would be ridiculous.
    Only because of the use of a non-germanic tool the creation doesnt become non-germanic, if done by a germanic. Beside, who has invented the guitar, and who has invented the electric guitar?
    The system of the guitar as such is about 5000 years old, and most likely occured first in Egypt, one of the first high cultures and most likely founded by indogermanic tribes. So actually the invention itself is at least indogermanic. Once the invention was there it travelled around the tribes, changing, also in dependence on the surroundings, ie the available materials. Today we have zithers, guitars, harps and whatever else, unique instruments to our culture.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The Western swing genre in the 1930s, generally played by white musicians, also shared similarities with rock and roll, and in turn directly influenced rockabilly and rock and roll, as can be heard (for example) on Elvis Presley's rendition of "Jailhouse Rock" (1957).

Going back even further, rock and roll can trace one lineage to the old Five Points, Manhattan district of mid-19th century New York City, the scene of the first fusion of heavily rhythmic African shuffles and sand dances with melody-driven European genres, particularly the Irish jig
    So the invention, the start off, is definitely white and reaches even further back into the first decade of the 20th century. Whatever history came after that, doesnt really matter, because this was a lot of hype. In addition, you can clearly distinguish rock'n'roll played by blacks and whites, black rock'n'roll always carries beats of rhythm'n'blues(hip-hop/rap), while white rock'n'roll does not carry these beats. Look at the Beatles, this clearly has nothing to do with typical black rhythm'n'blues beats.

Moreover, rock n' roll, including heavy metal, has become such a truly cosmopolitan phenomenon that it has played a significant role in paving the way for the culture of globalism.
    Again you are mixing two genres together, which has not that much to do with each other. I would argue that the invention of heavy metal was much more dependend on electric guitars than it was on rock'n'roll. The connection is drawn out of the fact that rock'n'roll was first and due to the bigger becoming audiences of course made use of the electric instruments (not only the guitar) to leave the small pubs and head out for bigger locations. This was dependend on the technique of electricity as such. The better becoming electric guitars offered more possibilities what kind of tones to get out of it.
    Heavy Metal would have been invented even if there was no rock'n'roll before. Of course we had to take into account when looking on the invention of heavy metal, the social and world political situations. Globalism has started before with the first world war, where the entire (western) globe was involved, and even more the second world war, where the globe was extended to Japan. In fact, globalism is even older, the first settlers in america and in general the colonisation business was the start off for globalism.
    While rock'n'roll indeed includes all colors and surely is a trojan horse for globalism, heavy metal was invented for the exact opposite reason. Although it wasnt clearly cut in its early days, there was a heading for serious topics within the music, instead of flower power love songs Black Sabbath picked up the dark and gloomy topics. Hendrix was rock'n'roll, and first of all a guitar acrobat, which inspired people to pick up a guitar themselves, sure, but that doesnt make his music heavy metal.
    Heavy Metal was born out of the feeling of being lost in this globalising world and societies. It was the pain of loosing one's roots that gave birth to this music.

Having said all that, I don't think I'll ever be able to stop listening to metal, but I also think that the Germanic world as a whole would be much better off without it.

What do y'all think?
    I think, this question becomes boring over time. There are several threads already dealing with black metal, actually prooving that especially black metal is a germanic music.
    Yes, there are musicians playing something like black metal, who are not germanic. There is Impiety from Singapure and another band, both singing about Northern Darkness, there are 'muslim nazi black metal' bands misusing germanic runes to justify their claim to 'be black metal', there is an havaiianian band playing folk black metal, guess what, calling their music viking black metal. There is this half-black guy in Blasphemy.
    EXCEPTIONS from the rule, that actually only serve to proof the rule.

The birth of black metal, as a genre (not the word) was done by Quorthorn of Bathory when he started to include indigenious swedish/northern folk elements into his (even back then 86/87 already darker and more epic than anyone else's) death metal. This lined out the thematical direction. Black Metal is not satanic, black metal is northern folk. That people from around the world claim black metal would be satanic is simply because they misunderstood the message. This misunderstanding though is for any non-germanic black metaller essential to include himself into this scene. The 'satanic' message actually was for heathenism, for the old norse culture, for the forgotten past, and thus against the church, which has destroyed all that. The media turned it into the satanistic message for Satan, which worked partly because the swedish and norwegian youngsters made a big fun out of the usage of the 'satanic image'.
    For that you need to understand that the swedish and norwegian language and society 20 years back was easy to shock with sayings like 'for faen' (for the devil), a common curse. Well, actually it was not common, because with that you could cause elder people a heart attack. It is such a strong curse that this almost never was used. Even 'herregud' (Herr Gott / master lord) was so strong that you got strange glances for it and a deep breathing in from people around you. This is because the languages enfold around the religious language, in other countries curses are taken from 'fecal' or animal related words. That's the only secret behind the 'satanic' image.

Now this genre had exactly the purpose to shock. Not with cheap tricks, but only the cheap tricks made their sensational ways out of scandinavia. The media made it to a satanic genre, actually it was from the very early roots based in the old norse folk tradition and was race based (aryan) and was for it, while satanism is an oxymoron, as it wants to contradict the christian belief while using its element, the devil. This is a media influenced misunderstanding, which was unfortunately followed by some of the originators, using foremost the image of satanism.

You can count the real satanists, that is those believing in an actual theistic entity 'Satan' with one hand. That is Infernus of Gorgoroth, that was Euronymous, and the guys of Mayhem. End of list. When you investigate about the rest, or better talk to them, you will find that Satan is just an image (a symbol for anti-christian with its revelation promise) for them, the very most still using this image (those become ever less and less) follow the philosophical path with the central 'self-made god'. And this idea is the summing up of the idea of the pure aryan race, reaching through perfectionism the ultimate state of a god-like human, bodily and psycholigical, thus making the reveletion by an external creature superfluous.

Then black metal is much more related music-wise to classical music than to rock'n'roll, even heavy metal as such is more far away from black metal than is classical music. Death Metal was born out of punk, again an english music style born in the slums of the industrialised big cities, cutting off the roots of the people in their culture and leaving them to the powers that push them around at will rather than offering a home for them. This pain that results from this rootless life was the birth for heavy metal and death metal and punk alike. A protest culture against the societies. Black Metal was another step, instead of being against all and everything, it was made for our lost culture. Of course this also included to be against some things, but this was not the motivation anymore. The motivation was a way back to the roots, our roots, to our spirituality.

I really would appreciate if people finally start to distinguish the tool from the artwork. Shall we stop building stone houses just because the egypts built pyramites of stone? Or stop using electricity, also invented by egypts some 5000 years ago? That would be likewise ridiculous. The art is what matters, and there are clear cut borders between rock'n'roll' and heavy metal, as well as there is a clear cut border between heavy metal and black metal. And again, just because there are some who steal the idea first doesnt make them black metal (beside that 98% of all black metal bands are germanic) and second, the remaining 2% are the exception from the rule. The only thing all these styles have in common are the instruments.
    Even the connections between the different styles, that for example death metal was born out of punk, cant lead to the conclusion that it would be the same, or that the motivation is the same. The protest of punk was against any government, death metal was on a very political basis (which would be denied today by the most, repeating without thinking the pc mantra 'metal is not political') social criticism, and surely not out of the same motivation, it was first of all born out of the aftermath of WWII and Vietnam which caused the world order to collapse, changing everyone's life. Although the music itself 'glorifies' in a way the war attributes, in its essence it is against it. Unlike punk though death metal is not against governments as such.
    Black Metal falls out of all these social constructs in its entirety. The conscious or sometimes even unconscious injection of the nine noble virtues, the remembrance of them and the try to follow them, to live by them, the idea of 'kronet til konge' and so on gave black metal a whole other direction. What got out of scandinavia was the word 'true', perverted and misunderstood and reduced to the sound, which was mainly defined by Darkthrone. That was not what the people meant by being true. They wanted to be 'true to one's self', to be unique, to express their emotions and most of all the pain the dying world had caused in their souls. That is what black metal is about, the pain, the suffering, the darkness that is left by all the empty trash around you, that is sold to you as the values of modern societies. To sum that up, I point to my signature:

"Black metal is an expression of man's collective immune system, vomiting the degenerated ideologies and religions that have caused him spiritual sickness" (CC)
    And with man Casi meant only germanics. It is not even a 'white' music, black metal that deserves the name comes from Scandinavia and Germany and some, very few, American bands. In addition there are even fewer bands from Netherlands, Australia, England and some more exceptions from the general rule from here and there, mainly somewhere around Germany and Scandinavia.
    Even England doesnt have a mention worth black metal scene, the celtic influence obviously is more compatible with death metal and gothic than with black metal, England is more the ground for Doom metal. Black metal widely is even dependend on the location of germanics. Some few french bands dont change that, some few east european bands dont change that. The epi-center is Scandinavia and Germany. How could one argue that it would not be a germanic music? It is the most germanic music you can get.
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Just how is Rock & Roll defined? It seems to have become a very inclusive term that embraces many genres of music. And it has evolved over time. Would the recordings of Elvis Presley (aka the "King of Rock") even be included as rock if recorded today?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Æmeric For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago @ 07:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Thank you all for your responses.

I figured it might be a somewhat touchy subject, but in the context of our struggle to preserve Germanic culture, I think there is some relevance to it. But I'm not paranoid about it or anything.

I started thinking about the subject during my travels to Europe. It might sound silly, but when I went to Germany for instance, I really wanted to see guys wearing lederhosen and girls in dirndl, dancing to traditional folk tunes or listening to classical music. I was hoping it would be a completely different place than America, but aside from the language and historical landmarks it wasn't all that different. Especially amongst younger people, I could see a lot of the same kind of cliques and fashions that we have over here that revolve around the different genres of pop/rock/etc.

Whatever the origins of rock and metal and their various sub-genres, I think that music would be a lot different in Europe today had Germany won the war. But we can't turn back the clocks so....

Velvet -

What you wrote made sense. I wasn't really aware of all the history behind black metal, but your signature sums it all up well: "Black metal is an expression of man's collective immune system, vomiting the degenerated ideologies and religions that have caused him spiritual sickness" (CC)

Your post was quite informative. Danke

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ward For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch_Bearer View Post
    I started thinking about the subject during my travels to Europe. It might sound silly, but when I went to Germany for instance, I really wanted to see guys wearing lederhosen and girls in dirndl, dancing to traditional folk tunes or listening to classical music. I was hoping it would be a completely different place than America, but aside from the language and historical landmarks it wasn't all that different. Especially amongst younger people, I could see a lot of the same kind of cliques and fashions that we have over here that revolve around the different genres of pop/rock/etc.
    Then you have a warped and inaccurate view of Germany, unfortunately widespread among Americans. Lederhosen and Dirndl are Bavarian/Southern folk wear, not all Germans wear them. If you expect Germans to look like the stereotypical image Americans have been fed, then you'll be disappointed. Times have changed and so did customs. It also depends where you go. If you go to a rural community you might encounter folk dress there still, but it doesn't make sense to expect to encounter it in cities.

As for classical music, tried the Opera?

There are regions in Germany where the folk costume doesn't exist at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Then you have a warped and inaccurate view of Germany, unfortunately widespread among Americans. Lederhosen and Dirndl are Bavarian/Southern folk wear, not all Germans wear them. If you expect Germans to look like the stereotypical image Americans have been fed, then you'll be disappointed. Times have changed and so did customs. It also depends where you go. If you go to a rural community you might encounter folk dress there still, but it doesn't make sense to expect to encounter it in cities

I know the costumes I was referring to are Bavarian, I was just using them as an example. However, I did have a sort of romanticized view that everything would be kind of quaint and much different than in America.

What can I say, I was young and had never been there before? Live and learn I suppose.

Last Online
    Friday, December 28th, 2018 @ 07:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think it's a good question in many ways, really.

Nowadays after 50 years of 'popular culture' (which itself happened with the advent of RnR...) people will be pretty used to it and defend it, but in the 50's a lot of americans didn't like the 'jungle music' their kids were starting to play. 'Rock around the clock' caused a riot at its first showing and general wild behaviour... hmm... kids playing negro music started to behave like negros? & can we really claim rock hasn't had a part in eroding (more like completely destroying!) previous, conservative cultural norms? the answer to that is no...
    I remember Patrick Moore ('distinguished older gent') saying he couldnt' tell the difference between punk, rock, whatever, it all sounded like noise to him. Imagine trying to rope such old-school people into these silly genre discussions common amoungst teenage scensters

it's always funny to me that bands like Landser (who are jailed for being nazis) wrote songs called "panzer rock n' roll" ? wouldn't rock have been 'entarte kunst'? i think so... also, skrewdriver sings exactly like negro RnB singers of the 50's and 60's, the skinhead scene itself has ethnic influences and the trashy music is closer to black rock than, say, metal. Actually I consider music like Iron Maiden to be more suitable for people who are nationalistic than skrewdriver, because, though it's not explicitly nationalist, it has a more european. sound, and they sing about european myths/british poems/war history/great figures etc. In a style that is unmistakably european (also look at the images of bands at that time, they dressed in medieval clothes etc. When metal got influenced by rap in the 90's, the image got more degenerate and so did the words...)

I think that 'banning' any outside influence just for being 'impure', particularly in music, is not really practicable. After a period in which British & American artists tried their earnest to imitate blacks (it's really pitiful listning to Clapton et all doing their hardest to sound black), europeans turned the influence into something unique to them, metal seems particularly germanic, its no conicidence metal developed down folkish paths and lots of nationalist types listen to it (most of them don't know they're nationalists yet, i'd say the same is true for the bands - if saxon, iron maiden etc. had grown up in the right environment, i'm quite sure they would have been ). Don't forget, the western classical tradition descended slowly from greek theories, with instruments and possible melodic and structural influences from the near east, arabia etc. and over time gradually developed. Also think of Wagner, who 'borrowed' Italian opera (itself a style that was supposed to be a copy of ancient greek) to make music which I don't think anyone could call anything other than uber-germanic

More 'degrading' IMO would be the pop-culture of music that has been generated over the last 50 years, with people (teenagers...) making music music the cornerstone of their identity. In the past songs would have been generated locally, involved community participation etc. But since technology, this is replaced by iPods, and 'professional' commercial markets, etc. People who 'rebel' against this are often even worse in their 'loyalty' to genres, as my dad told me (after I told him about some of the arguments 'metallers' have about 'true metal' etc), 'there is more snobbery in popular music then there ever was in so called 'elite' music). Also, music itself is somewhat dionysian, performers are degenerates (not a modern phenomenon but made worse by mass media and the 'black influence' from rock in the past (much more so) rap today), 'Love Music Hate Racism' is a big thing here, I think Plato was on to something when he said children should be trained in Music and Wrestling, because too much music made them 'liberal faggots' and too much wrestling made them 'bullying neocons' (Ok, I borrowed some modern terms there ), but a measure of both would teach them how to be 'harmonius' but also aggresive when need be. Today's music is 99% 'leftist'... & kids have more loyalty to their favored style then to their people.

as a (non germanic) example, I like latin american music, sadly due to globalism and the technology of music, 'rap' is common amongst all the 3rd world now (I actually like some non-rap african styles as well), instead of tuneful musics expressing the cultural soul of their people, you get is angry rapping with 0 musical value, wonderful american export that was . Again, I have some music teaching books from school from the 60's, which are full of folk tunes, classical pieces etc. and demand thorough working out to do, wheras music education now is nonexistant and completely influenced by 'urban' styles, (dance, rap, rock) (also, modern 'urban' culture is heavily black influenced, and utterly without merit and degenerate), the old, 'folk' connection to the past (pre 50's) is rapidly vanishing (when i was at school we sang stuff like 'johnny lost his marbles' 'it was sad when the great ship went down' 'lets all go down the strand' etc - these are very 'english' sounding songs - nowadays people probably only know what tunes are in the international pop industry, etc.

I guess this is similar to what you mean by loss of culutre and national dress (everyone wearing nike instead). Yes, I do think rock had a role here, in being part of a 'new counterculture' that helped bury the old ways (remember as rock caught on here, so did the 68's and so on...) but the main thing is globalisation and americanisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauke Haien
    I do think that Germany should put every piece of American culture to the torch that is distinctly recognisable as such, regardless of merit and regardless of whether it is White or Negro in origin, but I doubt that most folk rock/folk metal or, more generally, German-language rock would fall under that category
    point being that if Germany had put american culture to the torch, folk rock/metal etc. would hever have been able to evolve...

Classical music is Greek and Romano-Christian ... Still, German composers have performed well in this foreign genre
    now I have to ask - which genres are not foreign ?

Quote Originally Posted by velvet
    If you start to ban all un-germanic tools (in this case instruments), you would end banning stone buildings, hammers, knifes. All of them non-germanic inventions? So that would be ridiculous.
    I agree violins, lutes, etc. all have their origins outside northern europe and ultimately outside europe. But they have been used to express the native soul and the instruments themselves have been modified by us. The electric guitar is one example of this.

So the invention, the start off, is definitely white and reaches even further back into the first decade of the 20th century. Whatever history came after that, doesnt really matter, because this was a lot of hype. In addition, you can clearly distinguish rock'n'roll played by blacks and whites, black rock'n'roll always carries beats of rhythm'n'blues(hip-hop/rap), while white rock'n'roll does not carry these beats. Look at the Beatles, this clearly has nothing to do with typical black rhythm'n'blues beats.
    sorry, where did you get that wiki from? I don't think rock, jazz is '100% black' music since it only was spawned in a european cultural context, but, no doubt they were mostly black at inception (and blacks deserted them as whites took over - I find this sociologically fascinating. They made progressively worse styles and now we have rap, which apparently not a sufficient number of whites can take over )).

also I cannot agree about the Beatles, if you told McCartney he had nothing to do with black RnB he would be shocked (since he said himself he imitated them)(he would probably also call you a racist), certainly for their first albums, their later albums are an example of the 'europeanising' I mentioned above, they moved away from the black roots and injected english folk and a more euro approach. But to say they had no black sound is completely incorrect, also, remember their experiments with 'india', John Lennon's 'imagine' (the anthem of 'one world'...) and all the usual crap...

I would argue that the invention of heavy metal was much more dependend on electric guitars than it was on rock'n'roll. The connection is drawn out of the fact that rock'n'roll was first and due to the bigger becoming audiences of course made use of the electric instruments (not only the guitar) to leave the small pubs and head out for bigger locations. This was dependend on the technique of electricity as such. The better becoming electric guitars offered more possibilities what kind of tones to get out of it.
    I disagree, rock'n'roll and electric guitars were at least equally neccesary for HM. In fact rock too only happened because of electricity... HM is a (Germanic ) outgrowth of those developments...
    ...its not just that rock was 'first', there is a clear stylistic development from one to the other,all the britrock bands were influenced by blues and american RnR / RnB, even straight ripping off songs (eg, led zepplin), widespread use of blues intervals, scales etc.

Heavy Metal would have been invented even if there was no rock'n'roll before. Of course we had to take into account when looking on the invention of heavy metal, the social and world political situations.
    This is impossible to prove either way, but I cannot agree less. For instance 'dance' by motorhead, a very chuck berry, rock 'n' roll riff (they consider themselves influenced by Little richard, chuck berry etc, Lemmy said they were a 'rock and roll' band, not a metal one), then it's only a short step to the 'most used metal riff' as heard in Iron maiden '2 minutes to midnight', accept 'flash rocking man', venom & saxon songs, etc. All these bands who were first called 'heavy metal' took their influence and sound from rock before them. It was a slow process to get 'black metal', maybe (i get the impression?) you listen to this mostly and don't notice the obvious influence in 'heavy metal', also for black metal I would say, where would they think to use heavy distortion of not HM before? even if the idea had occured independantly, they would have trouble finding the neccisary equiptment, which itself was popularised due to rock and HM. Distortion and Power Chords were popularised by Link Wray, a (part amerindian, who married a danish girl) rock and roll player in the 50's. Tying in to my earlier comments, his song was banned for being to 'delinquent' by the then-conservative american culture...

I really would appreciate if people finally start to distinguish the tool from the artwork. Shall we stop building stone houses just because the egypts built pyramites of stone? Or stop using electricity, also invented by egypts some 5000 years ago? That would be likewise ridiculous. The art is what matters, and there are clear cut borders between rock'n'roll' and heavy metal, as well as there is a clear cut border between heavy metal and black metal
    I agree with the first bit. Musical devices etc. have spread far and wide always, viz. seeing a comment in a radio interview 'I was suprised they used this scale in ancient india, same as europeans did, I wonder how it got there' frank zappa (whispers) - 'Sailors'! what matters is what the people express with it, I think some developments from rock (MetaL) do express european/germanic 'soul', others express negro soul... (like 'the libertines', pete doherty's shitty band).
    However, there is not a clear cut border between HM and RnR, that is complete BS. Again i suspect you are listening more to BM or Power Metal, (who came after HM was originally formed, and so had less of the rock/blues sound) and not thinking of the evolution of the style through time

Finally(!), I would like to say that IMO metal & other 'folkish' euro-styles that came out of england (industrial, synth pop somewhat?) are no longer possible IMO because modern urban culture is completely 'hip-hop' and too multicultural for there to be an english identity to form any 'new' styles with a distinctly english or european charachter. We are finished... sorry

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renwein For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Good points, Renwein.

I suppose the only thing I could add is that the blast-beats and double-bass action or what have you that are commonly found in black metal originated with bands like Slayer, DRI, Napalm Death, etc, which are also outside the sphere of Scandinavia/Germany.

So indeed, black metalers should at least tip their hats to these foreign influences.

And that it's a shame the English influence in music is dying out as you say. They certainly did bring a unique flavor and a lot of innovation to music.

Last Online
    43 Minutes Ago @ 09:11 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renwein
    Again i suspect you are listening more to BM or Power Metal, (who came after HM was originally formed, and so had less of the rock/blues sound) and not thinking of the evolution of the style through time

Finally(!), I would like to say that IMO metal & other 'folkish' euro-styles that came out of england (industrial, synth pop somewhat?) are no longer possible IMO because modern urban culture is completely 'hip-hop' and too multicultural for there to be an english identity to form any 'new' styles with a distinctly english or european charachter. We are finished... sorry
    Well, I agree that my history was not at all complete, with your most demurs you're more or less right, but one thing I want to correct nonetheless. Black Metal grew not out of heavy metal directly. There have been some steps inbetween. There was thrash metal, death metal (by the way an english development), the splitting of death metal in the american death metal and the european death metal. Extreme punk and the very extreme swedish death metal developed parallel. Somewhere in the silence and again lot of it in England there developed dark wave (around 78/79) and dark ambient (an influence one should not underestimate for black metal). Also in England extreme doom (death doom and all the really dark variants) developed, out of the combination of dark wave/ambient and death metal. To limit the roots of black metal to 'common heavy metal' would be the same like saying that our chancellor developed directly out of the middle age land lords. That is BS

Anyway, to answer your question about my music listening customs, in my player rotates only black metal in all its variants from folk bm over industrial/doom bm to suicide/depressive bm, sometimes death/funeral/folk doom, roots music (like Wardruna, Othala).
    No power metal, no death metal (except from Amon Amarth and Unanimated), no rock'n'roll, NO POP!
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    Black Metal grew not out of heavy metal directly. There have been some steps inbetween. There was thrash metal, death metal (by the way an english development),
    Actually, the American band "Death" is said to be the father of death metal.

Whatever the case, thrash is simply a variant of heavy metal that developed once again in Britain and the U.S. Honestly, I don't understand why you seem to want to distance black metal from its obvious heavy metal roots?

Nevertheless, I do think the black metal that has come out of Germany/Scandinavia has a unique sound that one could describe as an expression of the Germanic soul from an otherwise rather alien form of music. Your quote makes sense from that point of view.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast