Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Asatru Edda is Here!

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 @ 04:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    United States United States
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Announcement: The Asatru Edda is Here!

PRESS RELEASE

We are very excited to announce the arrival of a new book, which we feel is going to greatly advance the reconstruction of our sacred traditions. It is called “The Asatru Edda”, and it is the very first attempt ever at creating a sacred text for our faith. After 11 years of collecting thousands of notes, reading volumes of material, translating several foreign works, and piecing together every sacred text and epic that is connected to our faith in chronological order, we finally have a body of lore that we can call our own. The Asatru Edda connects our ancient fragments in their original forms like a giant puzzle, while using comparative investigations and logical, methodical research to gill in the gaps whenever necessary. It encompasses

The purpose here is not to create an Asatru “Bible” in the sense of a dogmatic doctrine, but rather to revive our holy storytelling traditions without Christian taint or academic bias. Indeed, it was not the monotheists that we looked to in considering the formulation of our own hierology, it was our Indo-European, Hindu cousins, who have remained true to their ways and untouched by the One od religions even to this day. We can learn from their example and see that if we had not faced the Inquisitions, we would certainly have our own versions of the Vedas, or Bundahesh, or Bhagavad Gita. Now we can begin the journey, now we can pick up where our ancestors left off. Even if a thousand more Eddas are written, each different from the last, now we can begin re-establishing our sacred tales as our own.

Hail the Gods!

The Norroena Society

The book is available for purchase through Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ásatrú-Edda-Sacred-Lore-North/dp/1440131783/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=124178443 8&sr=8-1

Or you can bring the ISBN to any local bookstore in the world who can order it for you:
    # ISBN-10: 1440131783
    # ISBN-13: 978-1440131783

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    I was holding on tightly ever since "The Nature of Asatru", and here it is. That's where my next investment is going.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would like to add on a personal note that I understand that the book is expensive at $37.95. However please understand that the reason the book has been delayed for so long is because we have been in constant back and forth bickering with the publisher on ways to reduce the cost. This is a MASSIVE book. It is 8.5x11 (that's regular printer paper size!) and is near 500 pages. They originally wanted to retail the cost to $44.95 but we were able to decrease the font and spacing and get it down to the current price. Another sacrifice that we had to make was to remove the Index because it alone was over 100 pages. However, this will be released in the coming months in the form of a Study Guide which will also include ways to help people read and understand this text. It will be sold for less than $10 from us directly.

The Introduction is available to read online on our website:

http://www.norroena.org/eddaintro.html

If you have any questions in the meanwhile please send them my way!

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Indeed, looks very interesting!

But since I already own two examples of the Edda, I'd be interested in a more detailed table of contents. I've searched already IUniverse, but the preview only offers the introduction.

Would it be possible to post the table of contents please?
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    But since I already own two examples of the Edda, I'd be interested in a more detailed table of contents.
    See, there comes the catch. From what I understood, it is not to be seen as a "Rehashing of Snorri's Edda" --- the introduction makes that quite clear.

Essentially, it is a keen attempt to re-create our myths as untainted as possible from Christian influence by looking at every little bit of local folklore, writings of a similar nature as the Edda, etc. The use of the word "Edda" is, as I understood, mainly due to it having established itself for that type of thing.

I know that many don't like the attempt to view what we've been given by Snorri as critical, claiming that "we already have enough texts" - but I still recommend everyone to have a look, as I consider it a keen project: But I see it a bit more on par with the Circle of Ostara's "Odinic Mythology Part I & II", as it essentially seeks to cleanse our holy texts from later Christian influence, with the difference that this one will not only analyse that influence, but also to recreate an essentially non-Christian form of our myths.

So, it is less an attempt at a new translation of what we already have - but instead I understand it as an attempt to provide a text for heathens, by heathens, by relying on heathen myths which seeks to represent our lore in a more genuine way than we have experienced thus far.

And for even attempting something of that scope, where you have to analyse the fundamentals of our mythology and our faith to understand which is Christian influence and which is not --- even for that, if for some nothing more, it should be worth a look. The author's previous work, "The Nature of Asatru" and its excellent outlook convince me that it will be authored sincerely and not just "for the fun of it", either. I expect many insights which I have myself only grasped in part but haven't yet quite come together by original thought.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here is the Table of Contents. I can assure you that nothing you own is similar to this. This is a compilation of every text that is considered sacred to our faith, organized in chronological order and rid of the Christian taints in the copies available now. As much as we don't want to compare it to a book such as the Bible because of the dogmatic aspects of that book, comparatively speaking in a sacred text sense they are similar being that they are fluid chronologically and are composed of all of the books sacred to Asatru/Odinist believers. I hope that helps to clear it up a bit. This is a completely new concept that, understandably, many will need some time to get used to.

Table of Contents

Introduction............................ ........................................ ........................... 1
    About The Ásatru Edda.................................... ........................................ . 8

The Úr Aldr

I. Ginnungagap............................. ........................... 12
    II. Yggdrasill.............................. .............................. 12
    III. Auđhumla................................ .......................... 14
    IV. Jörmungrund............................. ......................... 15
    V. Óđinn................................... ........ 16
    VI. Rúnar................................... ......... 22
    VII. Iđavöllr................................ .... 24
    VIII. Grotti.................................. ........................... 24
    IX. Ymir.................................... .................. 26
    X. Álfar................................... .................... 27
    XI. Ljósálfar............................... ................ 30
    XII. Ásgarđr................................. ...... 33
    XIII. Vanaheimr............................... .......... 35
    XIV. Dísir................................... ............................. 37
    XV. Ţursar.................................. ........... 38

The Gullaldr

XVI. Ćsir.................................... ................ 43
    XVII. Ívaldi.................................. ..................... 48
    XVIII. Hnossir................................. ................. 49
    XIX. Askr ok Embla................................... ............ 50
    XX. Heimdallr............................... ................ 55
    XXI. Jarl.................................... ..................... 66

The Silfr Aldr

XXII. Gullveig................................ ........................................ .................................. 70
    XXIII. Jörmungandr............................. ........................................ ............................. 77
    XXIV. Hel..................................... ........................................ .................................... 77
    XXV. Valhöll................................. ........................................ ................................... 87
    XXVI. Niflhel................................. ........................................ .................................. 92
    XXVII. Ýdalr................................... ........................................ ................................. 97
    XXVIII. Mjöđvitnir.............................. ........................................ ............................. 99
    XXIX. Konr.................................... ........................................ .................................. 101
    XXX. Útgarđaloki............................. ........................................ ................................ 103
    XXXI. Egill................................... ........................................ .................................... 111
    XXXII. Geirröđr................................ ........................................ ................................ 114
    XXXIII. Ţrymr................................... ........................................ ............................... 118
    XXXIV. Sleipnir................................ ........................................ ............................... 121
    XXXV. Sif..................................... ........................................ ................................... 123
    XXXVI. Hrungnir................................ ........................................ ............................. 125
    XXXVII. Byrgir.................................. ........................................ .............................. 128
    XXXVIII. Sunna................................... ........................................ ............................ 133
    XXXIX. Vartari................................. ........................................ ............................... 135
    XL. Niflungar............................... ........................................ ........... 137

The Koppar Aldr

XLI. Iđunn................................... ............................... 142
    XLII. Leikn................................... ........................................ .... 142
    XLIII. Gróa.................................... .................................... 144
    XLIV. Fimbulvetr I....................................... ..................... 149
    XLV. Hrafnagaldr............................. ....................... 154
    XLVI. Óđáinsakr............................... ......................... 156
    XLVII. Folkwanderung........................... .................... 158
    XLVIII. Ullr.................................... ............... 161
    IL. Völundr................................. ........................ 161
    L. Höđr.................................... ................................ 162
    LI. Nanna................................... ......................... 164
    LIII. Hildr................................... ................. 167
    LIII. Baldr................................... ................. 172
    LIV. Sinmara................................. ............ 184
    LV. Skađi................................... ........ 189
    LVI. Hringhorni.............................. ............................... 192
    LVII. Váli.................................... ........................................ ............................ 194
    LVIII. Vafţrúđnir.............................. ........................................ ...................... 198
    LIX. Gróugaldr............................... ........................................ ......................... 202
    LX. Svarinshaugr............................ ........................................ ........................ 206
    LXI. Óđr..................................... ........................................ ........................... 214
    LXII. Menglöđum............................... ........................................ ............................. 216
    LXIII. Gambanteinn............................. ........................................ ............................. 227
    LXIV. Fjölsviđr............................... ........................................ .................................. 232
    LXV. Breiđablik.............................. ........................................ .................................. 237
    LXVI. Alvís................................... ........................................ .................................... 239
    LXVII. Gerđr................................... ........................................ ................................. 242
    LXVIII. Fenrir.................................. ........................................ ................................. 250
    LXIX. Folkvíg................................. ........................................ .................................. 251
    LXX. Haddingr................................ ........................................ ................................. 262
    LXXI. Guđormr................................. ........................................ ................................ 273
    LXXII. Húnvíg.................................. ........................................ ................................ 279
    LXXIII. Ásmundr................................. ........................................ ............................ 281
    LXXIV. Singasteinn............................. ........................................ ............................. 287

The Járn Aldr

LXXV. Gleipnir................................ ........................................ ................................. 290
    LXXVI. Hymir................................... ........................................ ............................... 291
    LXXVII. Hárbarđr................................ ........................................ ............................ 296
    LXXVIII. Loki.................................... ........................................ .............................. 300
    LXXIX. Eggţér.................................. ........................................ ............................... 308
    LXXX. Hár..................................... ........................................ ................................... 308

The Úlfr Aldr

LXXI. Fimbulvetr II...................................... ........................................ ...... 320
    LXXXII. Ragnarökr............................... ........................................ ........................... 320
    LXXXIII. Gimlé................................... ........................................ ............................ 323

Last Online
    Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 @ 06:18 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Celtic
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student & Homesteader
    Politics
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This looks like a very promising read, I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of this Edda. Do you expect to sale out or do you have a good stock of coppies?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's being sold through Amazon and through all major bookstores. They will keep printing them as long as it continues to sell! We were very fortunate to receive good feedback from The Nature of Asatru. It has sold thousands of copies and continues to reach new people every day.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't say that's the first. Admittedly self published but I already made an earlier attempt (although constantly being edited and reformed). Will get around to reading this book as well though.

What is this book about? Myth? Philosophy? Tradition? Looks mostly about myth. If so that is really good, I was hoping somebody would make a coherent mythology and hopefully one that had certain moral lessons and meaning behind it (much like much of Grimm's folk tales). Hopefully also written by someone who is knowledgeable about other Aryan myths and can fill in the gaps. nordic myth as handed down is pretty contradictory, incoherent and too much in need of being shortened

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    Here is the Table of Contents. I can assure you that nothing you own is similar to this. This is a compilation of every text that is considered sacred to our faith, organized in chronological order and rid of the Christian taints in the copies available now. As much as we don't want to compare it to a book such as the Bible because of the dogmatic aspects of that book, comparatively speaking in a sacred text sense they are similar being that they are fluid chronologically and are composed of all of the books sacred to Asatru/Odinist believers. I hope that helps to clear it up a bit. This is a completely new concept that, understandably, many will need some time to get used to.
    Thanks for posting the table of contents!

I see it was my fault to mix the word Edda with Snorri's Edda, your book seems to be exactly what I was searching for. There have been so many splitters of the lore that I never really could decide to buy a book because the most books were collections of the author's taste, so buying two books one always ended up with several versions of the same, only adding one or two new stories to the collection already there, very frustrating...and then the partly terrible translation, a real nuisance (Sigurd, you know about the 'tummelnden Pferde' I guess, haha)

Seems you have solved that problem finally for me, book is almost ordered already
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast