Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Christina: A Medieval Life

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25663487423005

(1 hour long)

I watched this last year, an excellent documentary on the life of a single mother in medievel england in the time of famine, the plague, black death etc.

I watched this on TV last year and it really made me appreciate just how tough our ancesters were more, and how 'miraculous' it is to be descended from people with 'nasty, brutish and short' lives who had to battle tough conditions since time began until we reached the lazy stage we are at today

fuller description:
    Historian Michael Wood delves through medieval court records to follow the fortunes of a village in Hertfordshire and, more particularly, the family of peasant Christina Cok. The 14th century was a perilous time in British history, shot through with famine, plague and war. It was a time of climate change, virulent cattle diseases and, above all, the Black Death. But it was also the time when modern mentalities were shaped, not just by the rulers but increasingly by the common people. It was the beginning of the end of serfdom, the growth of individual freedom and the start of a capitalist market economy. Michael chooses an everyday story of a medieval country family through which to illustrate the bigger picture of how the character and destiny of ordinary British people was being shaped. It is history told not from the top of society but from the bottom - and especially through the eyes of the forgotten Michael brings to life the story of a 14th-century extended family: peasant Christina Cok, her father Hugh, estranged husband William, and her children John and Alice. Michael shows us that though their lives might at first seem quite alien, you only have to scratch below the surface to find uncanny connections with modern-day Britons. In them, you can see our beginnings as a nation of shopkeepers and the roots of the British love affair with beer and football. Perhaps more importantly is the triumph of that sturdy and cussed streak of individualism that has been a characteristic of 'Britishness' down the centuries.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renwein For This Useful Post:

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renwein View Post
    I watched this on TV last year and it really made me appreciate just how tough our ancesters were more, and how 'miraculous' it is to be descended from people with 'nasty, brutish and short' lives who had to battle tough conditions since time began until we reached the lazy stage we are at today
    Do you really have to go back to the 1300s for that? My Gran's biography is a good enough analogy for me!

Odd that they selected such modern Normanised names, though. I've seen tenant lists from the period that show Old English names, in corrupted diminuitives, surviving in the lowest classes then.