Country
    Australia Australia
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sissi View Post
    It looks like our city has dropped down on the list. I've never been to Vancouver, so I can't compare the two cities.

The rest here.
    I've been to Vancouver, and although it's very pretty, it has significant crime and multicultural issues. Anglo-Canadians are a minority there, as "visible minorities" (non-Whites) make up 51% of the population. An odd title for a majority. Living in Melbourne, I find it odd that its position on that list has risen. The quality of life is degrading down here, with more crime and apprehension in the community every year.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 @ 01:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Icy-White
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Australian Capital Territory Australian Capital Territory
    Single adult
    Politics
    Conservatism
    Religion
    God Bless Us
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Probably by the end of the year one can expect similar Viennese as in Hitler's era.
    Just can not get enough of the scene where impoverished Germans from rural Austria will be flocking to this center of 'High-culture'..
    especially how in May both German lands are to open their borders completely to the East block menace!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 03:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanischerAdler View Post
    ...Living in Melbourne, I find it odd that its position on that list has risen. The quality of life is degrading down here, with more crime and apprehension in the community every year.
    Sydney is the same. I was told nearly 10 years ago that on a proportional basis there was significantly more crime in the larger Australian cities than in the larger cities of the US.The quality of life in Australia has been steadily degrading for decades, but in the last 20 years the degradation of the quality of Australian life has unquestionably accelerated.
    Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    So why is Vienna the most liveable city in the world

The Economist Intelligence Unit has recently named Vienna the World’s Most Liveable City for the second year running. But beyond the palaces and Apfelstrudel is the Austrian capital really the perfect city?
    “Grünanlagen” - Green Spaces

The environment is essential to consider when determining the liveability of a city, and in Vienna the drinking water comes direct from the Alps and half of its urban surface areas are are covered with some sort of greenery.

The efficient public transport makes it easy for residents to access plentiful green spaces and rolling woodland at the city limits. Even the Danube River is on the Metro Line, with a stretch of it opening every every summer for swimming if residents need to cool off.

“Raunzen” - To Complain Like a Local

We’d assume that by calling the World’s Most Liveable City home, the Viennese would be among the happiest and friendliest people in the world. Not quite. According to a worldwide survey of emigrants, Vienna is the 65th friendliest city out of 72, with language barrier cited as a particular difficulty of fitting in.

The Viennese are in fact known for being a pessimistic bunch and for “Schmaeh”, a sardonic sense of humour. They also love a good complain, with the local word “raunzen” an essential skill for becoming accustomed to Viennese way of life.

Though it’s not all doom and gloom, as the latest satisfaction survey released by city authorities in June shows that nine out of ten are indeed "happy" or "very happy" to live in Vienna, with the city's cultural life and environment being particularly important to the locals.

“Wien-Bashing” - Vienna Bashing

Unlike in the rest of the country, which is generally more conservative, the left has won every democratic election in Vienna for a century. Therefore in the anticipation of a strong right-wing challenge in the 2020 municipal elections, international praise of Vienna is useful ammunition for the city authorities.

Vienna’s left-wing stance sometimes puts it at odds with the rest of Austria. Sebastian Kurz, Chancellor of the previous right-wing national government, was often accused of “Wien-Bashing”, particularly in respect of the city's social expenditure.

“Einschließigkeit” - Inclusivity

Unlike in many other cities, Vienna focuses on preventing patterns of inequality and gentrification by limiting the cost of living. As a result, the city's crime rate is the lowest it has been for almost 20 years. One resident, Barbara Zburny, told AFP that there were "no ghettos" in the city and that "different cultures mix together well”.

The cost of living is near the European average, with 60% of residents living in a property where the rent is capped. Annual travel cards for public transport now outnumber cars in the city as they cost just one euro per day.
    https://www.thelocal.at/20190906/vie...-most-liveable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Resist For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Geto-Dacian & German (Moldova, Transylvania, Austrian Empire, Mecklenburg)
    Óðins mær
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts
    I was changing planes in Vienna once... I wish I could have visited the city too... I think it's worth it!

The Danube, many green areas... and drinking water coming directly from the Alps? Sounds good!

Now I have one more destination to consider on my travel list!

Austria & Vienna, here I come!
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12