Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Sports Do You Follow As a Spectator?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Which Sports Do You Follow As a Spectator?

Pretty self-explanatory.

Myself, I follow as a spectator various sports. I usually go to the football matches of my team whenever I can, and sometimes the odd game of the national squad. I've seen a few rugby internationals, but with no allegiances, just like the sport. Much superior to American Football too.

In winter, I watch most skiing competitions, though I prefer Alpine Skiing and Ski Jumping over Cross-Country Skiing. Snowboarding I am not too keen on, dunno - as a now hobby and former youth skiier (well till I was about 12 ) skiing interests me more than snowboarding.

I sometimes watch cycling, though usually only the Tour de France. I am also a bit of a motorsports afficionado and follow Formula One quite actively - in neither of these I have a set favourite or an allegiance to a particular squad, I just follow them in general.

Add to that the televised Curling World Championships, the odd Snooker Tournament, and last but not least: Swimming World Championships, European Championships and Olympic tournament.

Athletics has never interested me that much, perhaps since apart from long jump and shot put (what a combination ) I never particularly over-performed in any. The same goes for cricket, I still don't get the knack of that sport, nor the obsession with it. Perhaps I'm still not British enough after 7 years here?

I used to try my hand at martial arts and might restart soon again, but the international tournaments have never interested me. Perhaps I view that too much of a personal sport?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Interesting question. I usually follow the whole season of cross-country ski and biathlon, sometimes ski jumping too. Football I follow only if there's Germany, Austria, or a Scandinavian team playing.
    Curling is also very interesting and I watch it most of the time.

Now I'm waiting for the Ice Hockey World Championship to begin. I'm curious how it will progress.

In case someone is interested here's the schedule: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/200/IHM200000_08_3_0.pdf

or here: http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...tatistics.html
    :Überschöpfung:

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrodnand View Post
    and biathlon
    Oh my, how could I forget about mentioning Biathlon! Yes, I watch that one too and consider it well superior to cross-country skiing, C-C I oft consider boring but biathlon is quite exciting to watch because you're either a good Marksman or a good Skier and this makes for an interesting development of the race.

Ice Hockey I sometimes used to watch, but now that my local team has voluntarily chosen to be relegated for financial reasons, my interest might be more marginal. I don't know, there's something about the sport which is interesting, but something else that sort of makes my interest marginal, can't say what it is.

I've just also pondered about tennis, where I noticed that my interest used to be quite developed and I used to watch it oftentimes - but with most Austrian, and indeed German players playing absolutely sub-standard; and most of my favourite players having long retired, I no longer follow it as actively.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    There´re nearly no sports I follow during summer on a regular basis. Sure, when there´re large and important events like Olympic games I watch them regularly, but none of the normal ones. I´ve some interest for Tennis, though. That counts both for Men´s and Women´s Tennis.

In winter I love to watch Alpine Skiing. I´m a skier myself and so I´ve a natural interest regading the professionals. My favourite profi-skiers are Hermann Meier (his endurance is impressive ), Bruno Kernen, Felix Neureuther, Ted Ligety (best looking alpine skier! ), Maria Riesch, Fränzi Aufdenblatten, Lara Gut, Kathy Hölzl and Lindsey Vonn.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    I´ve some interest for Tennis, though. That counts both for Men´s and Women´s Tennis.
    Though it's still a shame that Austrian and German tennis players are no longer up to the playing standard we used to have. No Thomas Muster, no Michael Stich, no Boris Becker ... no Steffi Graf either.

I recently re-watched that excellent Austria vs. US Davis Cup match in the early 1990s between Thomas Muster and Michael Chang. One of the best clay-surface and base-line players of all times (Muster) vs. one of the best smash-players of all time (Chang). Great game.

Despite his nebulous origins and apparent personal credences, I also always enjoyed watching Andre Agassi play because I felt his playing style was quite colourful.

I still like the sport, I sort of have to because I used to play tennis myself (but I had an unreliable coach who was always late, and I finally quit when he told me that my back-hand was highly effective but not a "clean technique" ) ... but I just can't come to terms with the playing styles of the current sports greats either.

I´m a skier myself and so I´ve a natural interest regading the professionals.
    Have you ever raced too?

Hermann Meier (his endurance is impressive )
    I found his Giant Slalom World Championship race where he took the Gold most impressive. You should think that with legs broken and grown-back in such an odd shape you'd have difficulties walking, let alone win a major race in a technical discipline. He's an excellent role-model for perseverance: Sticks and stones can break my bones - but why should I care, I'm not dead yet!

Lara Gut
    It's a shame that her mother's from the wrong side of the Röstigraben . She's damn pretty, otherwise definitely my type of girl. I'd probably stalk her and propose to her till she either accepted or put a bullet through my head for being such a nuisance.

Hel, you should have known there was a reason why I didn't post her in the "Best Looking Germanic Women" thread. Aaargh, those dreamy blue eyes and that cute smile. But will alas have to remain a "look, but don't touch" for being a bit of a "forbidden fruit" .

Photographer: "Please, for the photo, kiss your medal."
    Lara Gut: "Forget it, I only kiss men."

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Though it's still a shame that Austrian and German tennis players are no longer up to the playing standard we used to have. No Thomas Muster, no Michael Stich, no Boris Becker ... no Steffi Graf either.
    You´re right but I´ve hope that Sabine Lisicki has the potential to enter the Top 10! Only recently she has won her first WTA championship in Charleston, beating Venus Williams in two clear sets! And don´t forget about Anna-Lena Grönefeld.
    Austria has some other good players who just happened to have bad luck recently, like Sybille Bammer and Jürgen Melzer.

Have you ever raced too?
    I was in a local ski club when I was very young, it´s an automatic thing when your father is a former ski instructor, Bergführer at the DAV and a voluntary member of the Bergwacht in our Bavarian forest.
    When I watch ski races in winter then sometimes I discover myself thinking about "what could have been if..." because, in fact, I love skiing and prefer winter over summer. On the other hand I think I live a little bit too far away from the Alpes to shuttle back and forth on a daily basis (120 km to the Alpes, 120 km back. Makes 240 km a day. ) for training. Furthermore, family is very important to me and I think I couldn´t get along with the fact that you´re away from home at least half the year when you´re a skiing professional.

Whatever, it´s far too late now anyway. You must be a part of the racing business right from the cradle to have a chance.
    I found his Giant Slalom World Championship race where he took the Gold most impressive. You should think that with legs broken and grown-back in such an odd shape you'd have difficulties walking, let alone win a major race in a technical discipline.
    True, but what impressed me even more was his double victory at the Olympic games 1998. He had such a severe accident the one day...and only few days later he wins the championship!

Here´s his accident from back then, it´s hard to watch even nowadays:

Maier Crash

The other thing I like on Hermann Maier is his rural kind of behaviour, he´s extremely down to earth and a "echta Saubua" if you know what I mean.

It's a shame that her mother's from the wrong side of the Röstigraben . She's damn pretty, otherwise definitely my type of girl. I'd probably stalk her and propose to her till she either accepted or put a bullet through my head for being such a nuisance.
    I knew that you appreciate Lara Gut! You like her for the looks and I like her for her very good performances in this early age. The only thing I dislike on her is that she loves listening to HipHop and RnB...

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Monday, May 2nd, 2011 @ 03:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Franco-Norman/Anglo Canadian
    Ancestry
    Normandy; North-West England
    Subrace
    Borreby-DaloFaelid/AngloSaxon
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ice hockey of course, be it watching my son play his winger position in his recreational league or watching NHL hockey (playoffs are on right now) or watching the World games.

Winter Olympics over and above Summer Olympics. I'm especially looking forward to the 2010 Winter Games.

Watching crazy Canucks barreling down ski hills or negotiating moghuls or doing their aerial performances is also fun to watch.

In the Spring-Summer, I like to watch my son play ball in his fastball league.

I also enjoy watching Canadian football.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Austria has some other good players who just happened to have bad luck recently, like Sybille Bammer and Jürgen Melzer.
    Sybille Bammer also has a good bit of respect from me: She and Lindsay Davenport are the only mothers in world-class professional tennis (Paraguayian Rossana de los Rios is the third, but she is not particularly well known) that are still active. She often leaves out tournaments in order to spend more time with her daughter, because she consider family important. Her daughter is also often a spectator for her matches when she is not at school.

Jürgen Melzer --- oh my, it's the same old story. He definitely has the potential to be a Top-10 player, but it's always that mental weakness that bugs him down. Last year at the US Open he was playing against World #4 Andy Murray who later reached the final ... he was 7-6 6-4 6-6 (5-4) up, i.e. two points away from winning in 3 straight sets - but lost that tie break and still ended up losing 7-6 6-4 6-7 1-6 6-3. That is symptomatic for him, there's been so key many matches against world-class players where he was one/two sentences up and just a few points away from winning. Just again the other weak in the Davis Cup match against Germany.

If Melzer can work on himself and get a little stronger mentally, then he's definitely able to break the Top-10. The same goes for Sybille Bammer, she's definitely on par if not better than Barbara Schett and Barbara Paulus who reached #7 and #11 respectively. But obviously, since she likes to spend a lot of time with her daughter and thus oft misses tournaments, she might not climb beyond #15 (#19 is her top ranking), but that's then for a good and well-justified reason.

I doubt either of the two will ever reach the grandeur of Thomas Muster, our only ever #1 (6 weeks in 1996) and only ever Grand Slam Singles winner (Julian Knowle - though 1/4 Indian and 1/4 Italian, but an Austrian national - won the U.S. Open Doubles in 2007 with Swede Simon Aspelin) when he won the 1995 French Open. But they have higher potential than their current rankings, that for sure.

Tamira Paszek also has a higher potential than her current mid-70 ranking ... but then again I don't really consider her Austrian: Her mother is Chilean and her father is ethnically-Indian Tanzanian-born

When I watch ski races in winter then sometimes I discover myself thinking about "what could have been if..."
    I sometimes think that one as well. I perhaps didn't have the potential of a Hermann Maier or so, but I had a few Top-3 results in my grandparents' village as a kid, once I came very close to winning but messed up the second run.

The coach mainly criticised my "too elegant, too slow" approach to skiing, and later criticised my refusal to change to carving skis. Then I outgrew conventional skiing-boot size and went to Scotland for school, and that was my "skiing career" done for and over.

BTW, I still haven't skied on carving skis. I much prefer the long old skis and consider the carved skis a desecration of my beloved sport. In the long run, I'll have to change, as I'll have to teach my children how to ski, but so far I've not seen the need to change to carving-skis.

I sometimes also ponder what could have been if I'd pursued cross-country skiing more actively instead: My archery at school was remarkably accurate (entering school annals for being the first in school history to pierce the fly of an arrow ), so perhaps I could have tried my hands at biathlon?

Whatever, it´s far too late now anyway. You must be a part of the racing business right from the cradle to have a chance.
    Hermann Maier is also so famous because he was never part of the "racing business". He was a normal stonemason who loved to ski - due to a disease in his youth he'd never been considered. However, he took several local titles by margins of 3 or 4 seconds, so when there was a Giant Slalom in his home village of Flachau, he was a fore-runner.

His stopped time would have been the 12th-fastest had he been regularly competing and the ÖSV realised that this man had potential. They called him up to their squad and he debuted in the World Cup 26th in late 1996 at Hinterstoder. He then broke his wrist in the Chamonix downhill in early 1997. He surprised all when he took a 2nd place at the first Garmisch Super-G in late Jan/early Feb 1997, and repeated a similar feat when the next day, he won the second Garmisch Super-G.

It was too late to nominate him for the dismal 1997 World Championships (the only gold was Renate Götschl's Combined gold when she somehow managed to get such a good downhill done that she squeezed Seizinger [+0.04] and Gerg [+0.08] into 2nd and 3rd; Fritz Strobl only came 4th in downhill after he led by over a second halfway through the course!) --- but the next season, he started to dominate.

If he hadn't had his motorcycle accident in 2001, perhaps he would have dominated the sport for a while. Winning the World Cup again in 2004 was no mean feat, but most of his victories date back to pre-2001. If he hadn't been hit by that car, he'd probably long have overtaken Ingemar Stenmark's 86 victories. That score is now left to Benni Raich (once he learns to not straddle a gate in slalom, that is. ) or Aksel Lund Svindal to beat.

Either way, he was 24 when he made his World Cup debut. Considering this, he is also remarkable, as most make their debute in their late teens and already fall out of racing form in their early 20s when they've had dozens of injuries.

True, but what impressed me even more was his double victory at the Olympic games 1998. He had such a severe accident the one day...and only few days later he wins the championship!
    My dad and I got up at 2.00 AM to watch the Olympic downhill, I vividly remember that. We were all shocked when Hermann Maier crashed because we all thought he was dead! Seconds later he got up and smiled. But to be honest, had he not been in such an excellent form, he would not have survived that fall.

The other thing I like on Hermann Maier is his rural kind of behaviour, he´s extremely down to earth and a "echta Saubua" if you know what I mean.
    Yea, the rural mentality I quite liked, too. He was a little arrogant back in his most successful days, but he was always funny.

I knew that you appreciate Lara Gut! You like her for the looks and I like her for her very good performances in this early age.
    I actually like her for the performances too, but her good looks are definitely a bonus. You know that "Leader's Board" before which they have to stand whilst they are leading the reace? Yea, it's kind of good to see that there'll be another pretty lassie standing there on a regular basis even when Lindsey Vonn retires.

Because I also like less pretty skiers, you know, such as Kathrin Zettel. When I watch skiing, I may be an unimprovable man, but I'm still first and foremost a skiing fan.

The only thing I dislike on her is that she loves listening to HipHop and RnB...
    Oh my, let's hope Johan Vonlanthen and Johan Djourou spoken for already then.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Sybille Bammer also has a good bit of respect from me: She and Lindsay Davenport are the only mothers in world-class professional tennis (Paraguayian Rossana de los Rios is the third, but she is not particularly well known) that are still active. She often leaves out tournaments in order to spend more time with her daughter, because she consider family important. Her daughter is also often a spectator for her matches when she is not at school.

Jürgen Melzer .....
    Well okay, I give up! You´ve clearly more wisdom and know far more details regarding the professional Tennis circle than me. Do you watch the tournaments on Eurosport regularly? I just watch the Grand Slams from time to time and when my favourites play in smaller tourneys. I´ve seen the victory spree of Sabine Lisicki last week, beginning with the quarter finals.

I sometimes think that one as well. I perhaps didn't have the potential of a Hermann Maier or so, but I had a few Top-3 results in my grandparents' village as a kid, once I came very close to winning but messed up the second run.
    "Und jetscht kummt "Sigurd" (Realname einsetzen *g*), und liabe Zuschauer an den Geräten, mia frong uns wea de wuidere Frisur und den herberen Musikgeschmack vom ÖSV-Team hod: Da "Sigurd" oda da Rainer Schönfelder...!? Oba wuascht, etz miasma schaua ob des Materiaaaal vo unsere Buam guad ziagt!"
    The coach mainly criticised my "too elegant, too slow" approach to skiing, and later criticised my refusal to change to carving skis.
    Too elegant? You´re not going to an opera when you´re starting in the "Heisl". *fg*

BTW, I still haven't skied on carving skis. I much prefer the long old skis and consider the carved skis a desecration of my beloved sport. In the long run, I'll have to change, as I'll have to teach my children how to ski, but so far I've not seen the need to change to carving-skis.
    Great, my father would definately like you! He shares the same opinion on carving skis and always rails against the "neumodisches Klump"... He states that carving skis are not fast enough and that a "real" ski must be a long one while most carving skis are just too short. He´s the total hardliner when it comes to Skiing. I wonder why he isn´t skiing in the telemark-style.

Anyway, we both agree on the fact that Snowboarders are annoying and god-damn "Pistnhocker".

Interesting story about Hermann Maier, I didn´t know about how he entered the profi business. Until now I´ve thought he went the same way as most of the other profis, from the junior-team upwards and so on.

My dad and I got up at 2.00 AM to watch the Olympic downhill, I vividly remember that. We were all shocked when Hermann Maier crashed because we all thought he was dead! Seconds later he got up and smiled. But to be honest, had he not been in such an excellent form, he would not have survived that fall.
    We saw the accident the next day when the race was sent "re-live". I can remind me that my father told my mother that "jetz hats ihn zerbröselt wie damals Ulrike Mayer auf der Kandahar in Garmisch!".

Yea, the rural mentality I quite liked, too. He was a little arrogant back in his most successful days, but he was always funny.
    I think most men who´re successful are a little but arrogant but I guess people like Bode Miller or Michael Walchhofer surpass Maier about worlds.

I actually like her for the performances too, but her good looks are definitely a bonus. You know that "Leader's Board" before which they have to stand whilst they are leading the reace? Yea, it's kind of good to see that there'll be another pretty lassie standing there on a regular basis even when Lindsey Vonn retires.
    Oh well, of course I understand...*fg* Am I right with the assumption that you cross your fingers for Tina Maze, too?? http://www.tinamaze.com/

Because I also like less pretty skiers, you know, such as Kathrin Zettel. When I watch skiing, I may be an unimprovable man, but I'm still first and foremost a skiing fan.
    Another old quotation of my father regarding former Ski champion Katja Seizinger: "Wie ko oana mit so an greislichn Gsicht so guad Schifoan?"

Oh my, let's hope Johan Vonlanthen and Johan Djourou spoken for already then.
    I don´t get the point here, sorry.

Last Online
    14 Hours Ago @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I'm still very much into the PRIMITIVE pastime known as American football.
    I prefer college rank over pro because the competitive level that you find at the college level is never more at its purest. At least half the players work their asses off because they want the opportunity of fame and big bucks that the pro-level offers. Even non-starters make princely sums and enjoy a certain amount of celebrity.
    On the other hand, half of the players are out there simply because they love the game, knowing full well they won't make it to the pro-level and consider themselves honored to have made it this far and play with honor.
    I have grown weary of the whiny brats that populate the ranks of professional sports. There is the taint of too much money being made for me to take it serious or to cheer on any of the players. (I used to be a huge Dallas Cowboys fan)
    College sports are where its at.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast