Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Which Sports Do You Follow As a Spectator?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 05:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Alright, we have three rounds of the Four Hills Tournament competed now. Garmisch-Partenkirchen was affected by strong and variable wind conditions, which meant that the result looked a little different than anticipated. It was competed in one round only.

The Austrians were all ill-favoured by the wind, the result reflects this, the new wind-factor rule and gate-factor rule (Larinto tore his cruciate ligament after a 140,5m fall). Kofler narrowly averted a fall at over 4 m/s side-wind, finishing 50th and last, essentially ruining all chances of defending his title successfully. This was the worst result for Austria in any competition in over four years.

1. Simon Ammann (SUI) 142,1 Pts. (131,0m)
    2. Pawel Karelin (RUS) 138,3 (132,5)
    3. Adam Malysz (POL) 138,0 (132,0)
    4. Anders Jacobsen (NOR) 134,7 (127,5)
    5. Janne Ahonen (FIN) 133,2 (134,0)
    6. Anssi Koivuranta (FIN) 133,0 (134,0)
    7. Martin Schmitt (GER) 131,9 (134,5)
    8. Kamil Stoch (POL) 127,3 (131,5)
    9. Bjørn Einar Romøren (NOR) 127,0 (129,5)
    10. Martin Koch (AUT) 126,1 (123,0)
    14. Thomas Morgenstern (AUT) 125,6 (124,0)

Nonetheless, Morgenstern retained his lead, and yesterday's round at the Bergisel Hill in Innsbruck demonstrated once more why he is currently considered the best jumper in the world (give or take Gregor Schilerenzauer finding his form earlier or later). Malysz --- second most successful in the sport with 38 victories and 4 overall victories (Nykänen 46 victories/4 overall) --- is still waiting almost four years for victory, achieving 13 podiums in the meantime; 9 of which have been in the last 16 competitions.

1. Thomas Morgenstern (AUT) 266,5Pts (129,5m/126,5m)
    2. Adam Malysz (POL) 257,5 (128,0/123,0)
    3. Tom Hilde (NOR) 255,2 (127,5/122,0)
    4. Simon Ammann (SUI) 252,7 (128,0/122,0)
    5. Matti Hautamäki (FIN) 249,7 (125,0/123,5)
    6. Manuel Fettner (AUT) 248,0 (126,0/120,0)
    7. Andreas Kofler (AUT) 243,6 (125,0/119,5)
    8. Michael Uhrmann (GER) 242,4 (121,5/126,5)
    9. Wolfang Loitzl (AUT) 241,8 (123,0/121,5)
    10. Pascal Bdomer (GER) 241,0 (122,5/120,0)

Which means that only a fall or a huge-scale mess-up can prevent Thomas Morgenstern from winning the 4 Hills for the first time in his career; Simon Ammann would then have to start a 14th attempt next year to win the only thing he hasn't yet won in his career:

1. Thomas Morgenstern (AUT) 681,7
    2. Simon Ammann (SUI) 654,4
    3. Adam Malysz (POL) 638,8
    4. Matti Hautamäki (FIN) 638,4
    5. Manuel Fettner (AUT) 623,1
    6. Tom Hilde (NOR) 616,3
    7. Martin Koch (AUT) 616,1
    8. Wolfgang Loitzl (AUT) 610,8
    9. Michael Uhrmann (GER) 593,2
    10. Anders Jacobsen (NOR) 592,3

Now comes the final hill, in Bischofshofen; which is coincidentally one of Morgenstern's favourite hills as well (he won on that hill last year). Since it is a hill also well suited to those with ski-flying qualities, I also expect Hautamäki, Jacobsen and Koch to perform strongly on that hill. Essentially, it's Morgenstern ahead of Ammann ahead of several jumpers fighting for 3rd place in the final 4-Hills ranking. Unless something unexpected happens (which could very well be, Morgenstern and/or Ammann could get eliminated in the knock-out stage) --- like in 2000/1 when Malysz won with a record gap of 104 points due to second-placed Noriaki Kasai (JPN), 31 points behind, getting eliminated first round.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, May 6th, 2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Germany & Norway
    Subrace
    Faordiby
    State
    Orange Free State Orange Free State
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Cognitive Dissident
    Politics
    Verwoerdian
    Religion
    Heretic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
    The team sport I most follow is the Celestial Game, the Game of the Gods: rugby football. I follow both the innovative, modern 7-a-side variety at the international level and international rugby, the regular 15-a-side sort, both of which are the Heavenly Game, the Game They Play in Heaven.
    I agree, where else can a Germanic do this to an ethnic...

Although the word "Commando" was wrongly used to describe all Boer soldiers, a commando was a unit formed from a particular district. None of the units was organized in regular companies, battalions or squadrons. The Boer commandos were individualists who were difficult to control, resented formal discipline or orders, and earned a British jibe that"every Boer was his own general".

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    I've been following the Snooker WM in Sheffield the last 2 weeks, what a Championship, what a Final!

John Higgins wins the generation duel against Judd Trump in a breathtaking game with 32 of 35 frames played, with incredible and amazing snooker from both. What a pleasure to watch

Judd Trump is only 21 years old, won in April the China Open and now fought through against many experienced players, and the other young player in the Semi Finals Ding Junhui, who kicked out Mark Selby with a 13:10 before.

Congrats!
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    State
    Kent Kent
    Occupation
    Student
    Religion
    Anglican
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Although I follow soccer, tennis and cricket, I find rugby the most entertaining/emotionally draining sport to watch ... just don't mention the 2007 World Cup Final

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    I've been following the Snooker WM in Sheffield the last 2 weeks, what a Championship, what a Final!
    Ah yes, I've been following it on and off as well, was a few interesting matches to say the least. I also found it curious that Williams and Higgins met in the SF already, but then again that's because Robertson as the title holder was seeded first.

Didn't get to watch all of the final, just the opening frames yesterday; today I was at Uni for most of the day, with being too happy to see the forum up and running properly again after I finished and forgetting about the showdown.

Did any of the two get a higher break than 138, or is that pot being split between Mark King and Ding Junhui now?

Judd Trump is only 21 years old, won in April the China Open and now fought through against many experienced players, and the other young player in the Semi Finals Ding Junhui, who kicked out Mark Selby with a 13:10 before.
    Yes, quite astonishing, his run to the finals. He is definitely the up-and-coming star of the sport; very young but very skilled, I like the fact that he doesn't shy back from playing offensively, which is quite a pleasure to watch.

It sounds like a real upset though. I mean, when was the last time that an unseeded player managed to not only reach the finals but to defeat the title holder (Robertson, 1st round) AND the respective runner-up (Dott, Quarters IIRC?) in the process?

Still glad to hear Higgins took another title, it was anything but clear after his suspension that he'd return in the same strength but he did. He has been so consistently strong for over a decade, and in any case his tactical play is brilliant for the lack of a better term.

(What I find curious though is how they calculate their World Rankings. Higgins went into the tournament ranked #1 and won it. But is instead being replaced by Williams as World #1 - the guy he defeated in the semi-final. Someone explain that one to me please. )
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    with being too happy to see the forum up and running properly again
    Couldnt get onto the forum yesterday at all, tried all over the day, but not once the page even loaded.

Did any of the two get a higher break than 138, or is that pot being split between Mark King and Ding Junhui now?
    There was one frame where Trump had the chance for a 143, but failed unfortunately.

Yes, quite astonishing, his run to the finals. He is definitely the up-and-coming star of the sport; very young but very skilled, I like the fact that he doesn't shy back from playing offensively, which is quite a pleasure to watch.
    Indeed, he really tries to examine the limits of physics and often enough manages those magic balls.

It sounds like a real upset though. I mean, when was the last time that an unseeded player managed to not only reach the finals but to defeat the title holder (Robertson, 1st round) AND the respective runner-up (Dott, Quarters IIRC?) in the process?
    Not really sure, but I think Mark Selby did something similar at the beginning of his career. It's certainly a rare thing though.

(What I find curious though is how they calculate their World Rankings. Higgins went into the tournament ranked #1 and won it. But is instead being replaced by Williams as World #1 - the guy he defeated in the semi-final. Someone explain that one to me please. )
    This is due to a series that Higgins missed. The season started already last year, and obviously the 10.000 points now from his title werent enough to equal this out. But I really must look into that anyway, they have changed a lot in the regulations which had some weird effects on the rankings. Dont really look through there either right now
    Ein Leben ist nichts, deine Sprosse sind alles
    Aller Sturm nimmt nichts, weil dein Wurzelgriff zu stark ist
    und endet meine Frist, weiss ich dass du noch da bist
    Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature

Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I'm not a fan of sports really, but I can enjoy some sports sometimes. I like to watch "tough" sports, as heavy weight boxing and certain motorsports. Sometimes I even watch ice hockey, especially now when it's world championship and all. 2006 was "our" year in ice hockey and sadly I don't think we'll ever be that good again.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    The German team has a good run at the current world´s championchip in Icehockey. They´ve won the first match against favourite Russia with 2:0 and then beat the strong host Slovakia with 4:3. And in the last match of the preliminaries they could beat Slovenia with 3:2 after penalty. They have a good change to advance to the quarter-final.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Grand Member
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Ice Hockey would be a great sport if you could just see where the puck was

I find I can only follow the game based on the reactions of the players, rather than seeing what's actually happening for myself.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet View Post
    There was one frame where Trump had the chance for a 143, but failed unfortunately.
    A shame, then again they say: Any type of really high break is always a bit of a fluke. I remember that in the game against Trump in the Quarters, Dott had the chance for a 147 (which is obviously the maximum break under normal circumstances, the maximum at all possible being 155 [snookered on all 15 reds + 1 black + 15 reds + 15 blacks + all colours]).

Not really sure, but I think Mark Selby did something similar at the beginning of his career. It's certainly a rare thing though.
    How could I forget? It's not like his own run to the final was long ago, just four years (Though Selby only knocked out one previous year finalist, though a very memorable game against Ebdon with 5 [!] centuries from Selby). :

This is due to a series that Higgins missed. The season started already last year, and obviously the 10.000 points now from his title werent enough to equal this out.
    Ah, I think I might have figured it out. He loses his points from the 2009 title and gains exactly the same points he loses, whilst Williams got knocked out 1st round in the 2009 edition of the tournament and gains much more.

Reminds me a little of last year's Women's Tennis: Kim Clijsters defended her US Open Title (which is obviously a Grand Slam!) but instead of rising in the World Rankings dropped from #3 to #5.

BTW, the nice thing about snooker is that it's still a remarkably white sport. There's always been a few notable Asians (there's Ding and Fu now, and there used to be Wattana) but the only Negro I can recall ever playing a WC match is Rory McLeod.

Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    The German team has a good run at the current world´s championchip in Icehockey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Svea View Post
    Sometimes I even watch ice hockey, especially now when it's world championship and all. 2006 was "our" year in ice hockey and sadly I don't think we'll ever be that good again.
    Oh, and Austria is pretty bad again. We're in the relegation round yet again after the 0-5 defeat to Norway, having lost all three games (also against the US and Sweden). I hope we manage to avoid relegation, since 2005 we've constantly gone up and down (2005: relegation, 2006: promotion, 2007: relegation, 2008: promotion, 2009: relegation, 2010: promotion, 2011: ???)

Then again, our top three players, all three considered leading players of their clubs in the NHL, weren't able to help us this year (Nödl is still competing in the play-offs and Vanek resp. Grabner didn't get permission from their clubs. )

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast