Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Sports Do You Follow As a Spectator?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlodovech View Post
    It's going somewhat better with Austria's national football squad compared to a decade ago,
    Well, yes - a decade ago was a shock. After a convincing qualifier that took us to France '98 and an unlucky elimination in the Group Stages there we lost 9-0 to Spain and 5-0 to Israel in the Euro 2000 qualifiers.

I have to say I perhaps over-criticised the game on Wednesday. The new coach, Dietmar Constantini is trying something new with a whole bunch of youngsters, and it's actually been reasonably refreshing to watch the team of late --- but some parts of the game against France were dismal, there's still some work to be done.

Nonetheless I'm confident that in the long run we'll be a common sight in international tournaments again. At the latest World Cup 2014, perhaps already Euro 2012. --- though the latter all depends on whether Slovenia makes it to the World Cup, it's quite a big difference whether we're drawn from Pot 3 or Pot 4.

and the four Austrian clubs in the Europa League never cease to amaze me, not a single Austrian team was eliminated in the preliminary knockout stage.
    Yes, I'm quite delighted with this. Whilst they're all not the team I support, they are collecting valuable points for the UEFA-5-year-coefficient; which is especially important since the succesful 2004/05 is out of the coefficient now, where Austria Vienna made it to the UEFA Cup Quarterfinals and GAK to the UEFA Cup Third Round (before narrowly losing to later finalist Middlesbrough; after only narrowly being eliminated from CL qualification by later champions Liverpool, a 1-0 at Anfield was not enough).

Rapid Wien - Hamburger SV 3-0 ( What happened over there )
    Celtic - Rapid Wien 1-1 (I Bet Celtic didn't expect this!)
    Don't forget, the had to eliminate Aston Villa to even get there. (1-0 at home, 1-2 away --- qualified via away goals)

But then again, Hamburg seems to have problems against Austrian teams this year. The team I support, Wacker Innsbruck - currently a second-flight team - won 1-0 in a test game prior to the season, Hamburg actually played with their best squad.

Sturm Graz - Dinamo Bucuresti 0-1
    Galatasaray - Sturm Graz 1-1
    I think they have much more potential than that and might end up reaching the next round actually. The loss against Dinamo Bucarest was very unlucky.

Lazio Roma - FC Salzburg 1-2 (!!!)
    FC Salzburg - Villarreal 2-0 (!!! LOL, Salzburg actually defeated a Spanish top team )
    The funny thing is that in the game against Lazio, they were 1-0 down with ten minutes to go and still turned it around.

My opinion about Red Bull Salzburg isn't the best, they basically bought many foreign players and have about three times the funds of the next richest club, and are actually owned by Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz ... but Hel.

Much of their success is obviously due to having the probably best Austrian striker ATM, Marc Janko - who scored 39 goals last season in 34 games (he missed the other two) and after 10 games of the new season already has 8 goals again. Last year he only narrowly missed out on the Golden Boot.

Athletic Bilbao - Austria Wien 3-0
    Austria Wien - Nacional Funchal 1-1
    I don't think they are going to get far ---- too many Negro strikers, so to say.

Also, Ernst Happel, Austria's best footballer ever, is a living legend in Bruges, he's regarded as the best coach Club Bruges has seen.
    He's a living legend everywhere. He coached us to two national titles and I believe it was also him who coached us to an UEFA Cup Semi-Final, but I may be mistaken there.

Now however, my side is in a somewhat worse situation. Wacker Innsbruck, ten-times Austrian champion (71, 72, 73, 75, 77, 89, 90, 00, 01, 02) is currently spending their second year in a row in Second-flight; we narrowly missed out on immediate promotion by coming second last year.

This year, the table is looking alright at this stage, even though we're just third after a third of the season:

Tabelle ADEG Erste Liga

1. SC Austria Lustenau 11 8 0 3 17:12 24
    2. Cashpoint SCR Altach 11 7 2 2 24:12 23
    3. FC Wacker Innsbruck 11 7 1 3 23:8 22
    4. FC PAX Gratkorn 11 5 4 2 21:14 19
    5. SKNV St. Pölten 11 5 3 3 12:14 18
    6. FC Trenkwalder Admira 11 5 2 4 16:8 17
    7. FC Lustenau 1907 11 4 3 4 15:11 15
    8. TSV Hartberg 11 4 2 5 9:22 14
    9. Red Bull Juniors Salzburg* 11 3 2 6 23:21 11
    10. Fernwärme Vienna 1894 11 2 2 7 15:21 8
    11. Austria Wien Amateure* 11 2 2 7 10:22 8
    12. FC Mohren Dornbirn 1913 11 1 3 7 8:28 6

*= Amateur teams of Top-flight clubs, which will be automatically relegated to the third flight (Regionalliga) as the league is seeing a reduction to 10 teams next year.

(and yes, the Second highest flight is called "First League", LOL!)

... we had a few good games, notable was a 5:0 home win against current table leader Austria Lustenau, and of course the 7:0 home win against Dornbirn. Though potentially the best game of the season was the away game against FC Lustenau, where we could have won much higher than the 1:0 it ended as.

This year is quite funny though, as there are four teams from Vorarlberg in the league --- the two Lustenau clubs were already there last year, but Altach was relegated from top-flight and Dornbirn narrowly beat Wattens and Anif to promotion in Regionalliga West.

This year is also curious, as with the promotion of First Vienna FC 1894, you now have three teams who together have 25 titles to call their own: Wacker Innsbruck 10, Admira 9, Vienna 6 --- this is more than the total of all other clubs minus Rapid Vienna (32 + 1 "All-German" 1941) and Austria Vienna (23) [Salzburg 5, Wiener Sportclub 3, Sturm Graz 2, Linzer ASK 1, Grazer AK (GAK) 1, VÖEST Linz 1, Wiener AC 1, Wiener AF 1, Favoritner AC 1, Hakoah Wien 1 = 17].

I hope we'll manage promotion this year, it's unbefitting that the third most successful club of all times (10 league wins, 7 cup wins, 1 ECI Quarterfinal, 1 ECIII Semifinal, 2 Mitropa-Cup wins) within Austria should be in the second league. Just not on , you know.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, March 30th, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I watch football and also other sports depending if there is any special events like the Olympics or something going on.

But it is often with mixed feelings I watch for example football. Sure, it is exciting and good entertainment, but at the same time I think it is saddening because I always don't see the reason why I watch super-rich stars running around kicking a ball around (yeah I know I sound like a sports-hater ).

Alot of people seem to give sports more meaning than it really has in my opinion, and only a few decades ago it wasn't all like it is now, not all the money in it and that. If we lived in a good society I wouldn't mind it that much how much people cared of sports, but nowadays I think people should be able to see what is really valuable and what is less. And sports is nowhere near as meaningful as making our countries decent again.

I think that football would be much more fun to watch if Chelsea players actually came mostly from Chelsea or London, because sports is about competition between tribes, nations ,peoples etc. To see 11 men proudly representing their community or city would make it much more pleasant to watch. And at the Olympics we would have people doing all the sports partly for induvidual glory but the world would also see what lands on earth have the greatest athletes (in this case a nation should only have people from their own folk, otherwise I don't see the meaning with having nations in the olympics att all, might as well only have induviduals.)

So I'm absoluteley no sports-hater, I think is good to participate in and also great to watch, but I'm less and less able to feel real passion nowadays.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Too many.........I'm retired

In Fall I follow American Football, both College and Professional, most weekends.

In Summer I love to watch the NASCAR auto races. I also like to watch
    the PBR, Professional Bull Riding. I like all kinds of American Rodeo Sports, both men & women. I frequently watch the Pro-Golf Tour some weekends,too.

Incidently, I watch Mixed Martial Arts, Ultimate Fighters. And, I watch the Tennis Matches, if they happen to be on TV.
    I don't follow any sports slavishly, though

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Being a fervent follower of both Men's and Women's skiing, I of course watched today's Women's Giant Slalom in Marburg/Drau after the completion of the Men's Lauberhorn Downhill in Wengen. The men weren't that great today, best Austrian was Klaus Kröll who came in 9th.

But the women's giant slalom was a great demonstration of which Germanic tribe has the best skiers. The Swedish contribution to the podium aside, reading the result list reads a bit like "Bajuvarian championships", look at the Top-10 :

1. Kathrin Zettel AUT 2:36,22
    2. Maria Riesch GER 2:36,45
    3. Anja Pärson SWE 2:36,70
    4. Kathrin Hölzl GER 2:37,08
    5. Andrea Fischbacher AUT 2:37,13
    6. Ramona Siebenhofer AUT 2:37,26
    7. Michaela Kirchgasser AUT 2:37,34
    8. Viktoria Rebensburg GER 2:37,57
    9. Lena Dürr GER 2:37,68
    10. Manuela Mölgg ITA 2:37,78

Notice that Mölgg in Pos. 10 is of course from South Tyrol.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Oh my, this week is almost full of excellent sporting news. First of all has to come of course that my football club, FC Wacker Innsbruck, ten times Austrian champion is back in top flight now. Happened last Friday.

Exciting game, though we couldn't afford to join the 3,500-fan trail to Pasching (where the game took place against Red Bull Juniors/FC Red Bull Salzburg II since they are changing from artificial lawn to natural lawn), but we went into a pub which broadcasted this, and were loudly supporting until the bitter end.

Before the last game the situation was like this: Wacker Innsbruck 66/+39, Admira 64/+42, Altach 63/+32; i.e. three teams still able to theoretically clinch the title and thus be promoted.

For a long time, it looked like it wasn't going to be done this year. Admira, better on goal difference but two points behind was winning 4-0 against Hartberg whilst we were still tied at 0-0.

Then came the triumphant return of Marcel Schreter, our best goalscorer, with season goals 16 and 17 in 77th and 85th minute for a late but good 2-0 win. (Goal #15 was the decisive goal the previous week in the 1-0 against Hartberg [Where we all stormed the lawn, you can see me pretty clearly in the newspaper! ]).

Kind of appropriate since he is the only remaining player from the Regional League squad of 2002-03, sticking with us through all the ups and downs and relegation after 2007-08. If his staying around after relegation was the stuff legends are made of, then these important goals are the stuff gods are made of!

Either way, we celebrated a lot, well into the night. This is the final standings of the table:

1. FC Wacker Innsbruck 33 - 21/6/6 - 67:26 (+41) - 69
    2. FC Admira Wacker Mödling 33 - 20/7/6 - 68:22 (+46) - 67
    3. SC Rheindorf Altach 33 - 20/6/7 - 60:27 (+33) - 66
    4. SKNV St. Pölten 33 - 14/9/10 - 44:42 (+2) - 51
    5. SC Austria Lustenau 33 - 15/5/13 - 43:46 (-3) - 50
    6. FC Red Bull Salzburg II 33 - 13/5/15 - 58:49 (+9) - 44*
    7. FC Gratkorn 33 - 11/10/12 - 57:51 (+6) - 43
    8. FC Lustenau 07 33 - 12/5/16 - 42:52 (-10) - 41
    9. TSV Hartberg 33 - 11/5/17 - 36:68 (-32) - 38
    10. FK Austria Wien II 33 - 9/8/16 - 42:57 (-15) - 35*
    11. First Vienna FC 1894 33 - 8/6/19 - 37:57 (-20) - 30**
    12. FC Dornbirn 1913 33 - 6/4/23 - 24:81 (-57) - 22*

*Relegated. The Second Teams are relegated through league reforn & reduction to 10 clubs.
    ** Escaped play-offs due to Top Flight relegated side SK Austria Kärnten not receiving a licence. As such, the play-off against SV Grödig (Regional League West winners) is off with both teams playing in this division next year. Final place taken by play-off winner between the RL East & Middle winners.

Doubly delightful promotion since the second-placed and third-placed teams had by far the better funding and more experienced players. But we made it all up with a lot of heart, courage and tactics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second happy news is that after long last it seems like Jürgen Melzer, seeded 22th and #27 of the world is finally up to his potential. Yesterday, in a five-set game of stunning tennis, he beat third-seed world #3 Novak Djokovic from Serbia and is now in Semi-Finals of the French Open.

He is the first Austrian male to reach a Grand Slam quarter-final since Stefan Koubek in 2002 (Sybille Bammer reached a quarter final at the 2008 US Open in the female event), and the first Austrian to reach a semi-final since Thomas Muster in 1998.

He is now paired against Rafael Nadal, world #2 and second-seed, who is perhaps the best clay player in the contemporary game. But Hel, he is already guaranteed a rise to an all-time hime of World #19; everything else is a bonus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The less happy sporting event of the past week was the crash between Red Bull Racing teammates Sebastian Vettel (ya hear, Vettel as my favourite driver is racing for an Austrian team! ) and Mark Webber, then tied for the World Championship lead when battling for lead in the race, in the Turkish Grand Prix. Vettel had to retire whilst Webber was able to save at least 3rd place with a new front wing. Those idiots!

Last Online
    6 Minutes Ago @ 07:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,367 Posts
    Has the Austrian football league only just finished then, Sigurd? This is surprising because most of the other European leagues finished several week ago!

I'm also a big football fan and am listening to Germany 3 Bosnia 1 right now on the German radio

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    Has the Austrian football league only just finished then, Sigurd? This is surprising because most of the other European leagues finished several week ago!
    No, the top league, Bundesliga (Federal League) finished on May 10 already. But the second highest league, Erste Liga (First League ) only finished last Friday, May 28. The regional leagues are still running.

So arguably, this is the club's fifteenth title (#1 in second highest league in 1964, 1981, 2004, 2010; #1 in third highest league in 2003 [licence withdrawn due to debt after top-league championship 2002]) --- but all it means is tougher work next year against over-funded clubs.

I am curious what the latest signing, 5-times Slovenian international and member of the 30-men-World-Cup-squad (but notthe 23-men one) can do as a striker. We weren't able to keep U-21 internation Fabian Koch, but thus far it looks like most of our other strong players can be kept for the top-flight season, including goalkeeper Pascal Grünwald (not a Jew ) who was voted strongest goalkeeper of the second league.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    For any Austrian, it is of utmost importance to follow not just Alpine Skiing, but also Ski Jumping, a sport that has much tradition in our country. And this sport's most traditional event is the annual Four Hills Tournament, held within little over a week on fundamentally different hills in Southern FRG and Austria. Competed 59 times since 1953, it's record winner is Janne Ahonen (5 times), who was also part of the only tie for win (2005/6 tied with Jakub Janda). The so-called "Grand Slam", winning all four hills in one year, was only achieved by German Sven Hannawald in 2001/2.

What makes it particularly interesting is that it his competed in a knock-out format with 25 winners + 5 "lucky losers" competing the second round (or 6 lucky losers like yesterday, as Janne Ahonen and Jakub Janda were tied for the #5 LL spot). Since points are accumulated together, one bad jump can already ruin all the chances. This happened to World Cup #4 Ville Larinto, who was knocked out yesterday under difficult wind conditions, just one day after winning the qualification (that seeds for the duels)

This year's dates are: Oberstdorf (29.12), Garmisch-Partenkirchen (1.1.), Innsbruck (3.1.), Bischofshofen (6.1.) --- the dates for GAP and B'hofen are always fixed, Oberstdorf is sometimes competed on the 30th, Innsbruck sometimes on the 4th.

Either way, Austria is two times title-holder in this: Wolfgang Loitzl was victorious in 2008/09 and Andreas Kofler was victorious in 2009/10. And this year's favourite is yet another Austrian: World Cup leader Thomas Morgenstern (triple Olympic champion too) is expected to win, especially after his convincing victory at the opening round in Oberstdorf yesterday. Sven Hannawald, in 2002 so far the only to win on all four hills during one tournament, excepts his historic feat might be repeated by a Thomas Morgenstern on top of his form.

Either way, here's yesterday's result. Five in the Top 9 for Austria, after the first jump it was four in the top four actually. Manuel Fettner also achieved his very first podium in World Cup.

Results Oberstdorf K120/HS137 (Top 15). Austrian competitors in bold, other Germanic competitors in italics:

1. Thomas Morgenstern (AUT) 289,6Pts. (131,5m/138,0m)
    2. Matti Hautmäki (FIN) 273,1 (125,0/137,5)
    3. Manuel Fettner (AUT) 264,0 (130,0/131,5)
    4. Simon Ammann (SUI) 259,6 (123,0/134,0)
    5. Andreas Kofler (AUT) 259,0 (128,5/126,0)
    6. Severin Freund (GER) 258,7 (127,0/130,5)
    7. Martin Koch (AUT) 254,1 (124,0/132,5)
    8. Michael Neumayer (GER) 254,0 (127,0/128,5)
    9. Wolfgang Loitzl (AUT) 248,8 (127,5/124,5)
    10. Tom Hilde (NOR ) 246,6 (120,5/128,5)
    11. Adam Malysz (POL) 243,3 (115,0/131,5)
    12. Peter Prevc (SLO) 234,3 (126,5/118,0)
    13. Richard Freitag (GER) 232,5 (119,5/122,0)
    14. Robert Kranjec (SLO) 231,1 (122,0/120,5)
    15. Daiki Ito (JAP) 230,8 (123,5/120,5)

Of the six favourites entering the tournament, only Morgenstern and Hautamäki performed as expected. Kofler had a bad second jump and is already 30,6 points behind; Ammann had a bad first jump and is 25,6 points behind. Malysz had a very dismal first round and is already 46,3 points behind; Larinto is out of competition with being eliminated in first round.

Now on to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It could already look very different there.

Mein Glaube ist die Liebe zu meinem Volk. Juthunge's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Minutes Ago @ 07:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid-CM
    Religion of the Blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Mostly football, especially the Bundesliga, although the club I'm cheering for isn't really in the best shape at the moment. The Germans in here might know which it is.

Apart from that handball and skiing I'd say.
    And the day they sold us out, Our hearts grew cold
    'Cause we were never asked, No brother, we were told!
    What do they know of Europe, Who only Europe know?

Ancient DNA: List of All Studies analyzing DNA of Ancient Tribes and Ethnicities(post-2010)

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Mostly football, especially the Bundesliga, although the club I'm cheering for isn't really in the best shape at the moment. The Germans in here might know which it is.
    So are you a VfB Stuttgart fan then, I presume? If so, then their issue obviously isn't the goal-scoring, but the conceiving too many goals. They have the quality, no idea why it's not working out this year. However, couple of years ago they also had a fairly dismal autumn season, so I wouldn't be worried; they're not going to end up relegated.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast