Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post 'The Races of Europe' corrections

I've been converting excerpts of Coon's The Races of Europe from the SNPA for a website I'm making, but the SNPA's online version of the book appears to be far from perfect. I've made my way to 'The Baltic-Speaking Peoples', and here are two of the strangest things I encountered in that chapter:

In facial dimensions, the living Letts are again East Baltic, with broad foreheads (110 mm.), moderately broad bizygomatic diameters (137140 mm.), and broad jaws (ca. 110 mm.).
    Among the Lithuanians themselves there are two linguistic divisions; the Jmouds or Samogitians, who number nearly half a trillion and live in the western part of the Kaunas district, near the East Prussian border, and the Lithuanians proper, who number more than three millions.
    I am assuming the 'trillion' should be 'million', but could someone help me out with the bizygomatic diameters? All those willing to help can count on my eternal gratitude and some rep points

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Re: 'The Races of Europe' corrections

Chapter 'The British Isles - Résumé of skeletal history':

Beginning with the Pleistocene, we recall that the earliest known sapiens men, Swanscombe and Galley Hill, were excavated from English soil, as was the still problematical Piltdown. During the last interglacial, and the time of the final maximum ice, available portions of Great Britain were inhabited by men similar to the Upper Palaeolithic population in France, while in the post-glacial Mesolithic period, hunting and fishing peoples of central European origin invaded Scotland, and furnished to Ireland its earliest human inhabitants. This Mesolithic population is represented by the MacArthur's Cave skeleton, which resembles the Brünn-Pr
    Brünn-Pr?

Same chapter:

At the same time that the saxons were pressing the Picts on the eastern Scottish coasts, the Irish Goidels were invading Scotland from the east [SNPA correcton: west], and the two groups, the Germans and Kelts, squeezed the Picts between the two jaws of a pair of pincers. The Picts lost their language, whatever it may have been, and their ethnic identity, and at the same time Scotland assumed her traditional segregation into east and west, highlands and lowlands, Gaelic and Saxon speech.

The westward penetration of the Anglo-Saxons farther into the south isolated the shrinking area of Kymric speech into three disconnected centers; Strathclyde in the north, Wales in the middle, and Cornwall in the south. Of these three Strathclyde was the first to lose its Keltic speech, while that of Cornwall survived into the last century, and Welsh still remains. Soon after the Saxons had established themselves in England and Scotland, they were hampered by fresh invasions from Scandinavia, of Danes and Norwegians, who took over the most strongly Saxon sections of eastern England and Scotland. The Northmen sailed around the north of Scotland, settled the Orkneys, and also left colonies in the Hebrides and other western Scottish isles, and in many parts of Ireland. Dublin itself and its neighborhood were long Danish [SNPA correction: Norwegian] territory. Along the western coast of Ireland, in many places where Gaelic speech has persisted longest, as on the Aran Isles, there may be seen a strong Scandinavian cast in the racial appearance of the population. The Norman invasions brought to the British Isles a further Scandinavian increment, somewhat mixed by its continental sojourn, and along with it adventurers from many parts of Europe. These Normans were not numerous enough, however, to affect any but the uppermost social levels of the nation.
    Are these corrections valid, or should I leave them out on my own site?
    Last edited by Siegfried; Wednesday, May 12th, 2004 at 07:04 PM.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 12:24 PM
    Subrace
    Arya/Paleoeuropeidal (norda) :D
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Fairness
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried Augustus
    Predmosti, I'm sure.
    "slavic" languages are absolutely arteficial (Read "slawenlegende"). The "glagolica", invented by a bunch of monks, is nothing but an ancient esperanto, creating new words, definitions and alphabet out of regional slangs.

The craddle of European Civilization comes from the North. All blond people originate from the north. So if you see a blond-blue eyed Slovene, Russian, Czech, Polak ect., you can be 100% sure that his ancient ancestors originated from "Germanics" (Germanic = Nordic).
    "slovenja" was the settelment of the Langobards = Germanics/Teutons. "Poland" of the Goths and East-Vandals ect. ect. What do "slavs" tell us about their origin?
    Some silly story that they originate from some swamps in the east and popped out of no where into history.

So you see my dear "Gorostan" [=Triglav], you are in reality a "Germanic" indoctrinated with panslav propaganda and historic fantasy stories. ~Dr. Brandt, former TNP and Skadi member

Last Online
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Triglav
    Predmosti, I'm sure.
    Thank you very much. I have apparently given out too much rep in the last 24 hours (again), but I owe you a few

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Siegfried--I would guess that 'millions' sounds a bit more reasonable than 'trillions'.

I have a copy of TRoE at home--so, I can check on the bizygomatic diameters then and get back to you later--that is, if no one else has chimed in with the correction by then.

The 'Brunn-Pr' must surely have been intended to be 'Brunn-Predmost'. Premost is an anthropological/archeological site in Moravia.

http://www.visualsunlimited.com/brow.../vu311356.html

http://www.mentone-educational.com.a...gy/b_somso/s04

Irish Goidels inveading Scotland from the west sounds more logical than from the east.

I'm not sure about the Dublin question--whether it was under Norse or Dane occupation...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Allenson; Thursday, May 13th, 2004 at 12:45 AM.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triglav
    Predmosti, I'm sure.
    I see Triglav weighed in while I was fact checking on the Predmost(i) situation.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 16th, 2011 @ 10:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I've corrected the quotes below, with notations:

"In facial dimensions, the living Letts are again East Baltic, with broad foreheads (110 mm.), moderately broad bizygomatic diameters (137-140 mm.), and broad jaws (ca. 110 mm.)." pg. 363

Just needed a hyphen for the bizygomatic diameters (it is a range, I suppose.)

"Among the Lithuanians themselves there are two linguistic divisions; the Jmouds or Samogitians, who number nearly half a million and live in the western part of the Kaunas district, near the East Prussian border, and the Lithuanians proper, who number more than three millions." pg. 365, ibid.

You were right, it should be a million.

"Beginning with the Pleistocene, we recall that the earliest known sapiens men, Swanscombe and Galley Hill, were excavated from English soil, as was the still problematical Piltdown. During the last interglacial, and the time of the final maximum ice, available portions of Great Britain were inhabited by men similar to the Upper Palaeolithic population in France, while in the post-glacial Mesolithic period, hunting and fishing peoples of central European origin invaded Scotland, and furnished to Ireland its earliest human inhabitants. This Mesolithic population is represented by the MacArthur's Cave skeleton, which resembles the Brünn-Predmost group of late Pleistocene central Europe, and by others of doubtful age in both Scotland and Ireland, which belong essentially to the same type."

The r in Predmost has a sort of v shaped mark above it.

"At the same time that the saxons were pressing the Picts on the eastern Scottish coasts, the Irish Goidels were invading Scotland from the east [SNPA correcton: west], and the two groups, the Germans and Kelts, squeezed the Picts between the two jaws of a pair of pincers. The Picts lost their language, whatever it may have been, and their ethnic identity, and at the same time Scotland assumed her traditional segregation into east and west, highlands and lowlands, Gaelic and Saxon speech." pg. 372

He does say east. I think SNPA was right in their correction.

"The westward penetration of the Anglo-Saxons farther into the south isolated the shrinking area of Kymric speech into three disconnected centers; Strathclyde in the north, Wales in the middle, and Cornwall in the south. Of these three Strathclyde was the first to lose its Keltic speech, while that of Cornwall survived into the last century, and Welsh still remains. Soon after the Saxons had established themselves in England and Scotland, they were hampered by fresh invasions from Scandinavia, of Danes and Norwegians, who took over the most strongly Saxon sections of eastern England and Scotland. The Northmen sailed around the north of Scotland, settled the Orkneys, and also left colonies in the Hebrides and other western Scottish isles, and in many parts of Ireland. Dublin itself and its neighborhood were long Danish [SNPA correction: Norwegian] territory. Along the western coast of Ireland, in many places where Gaelic speech has persisted longest, as on the Aran Isles, there may be seen a strong Scandinavian cast in the racial appearance of the population. The Norman invasions brought to the British Isles a further Scandinavian increment, somewhat mixed by its continental sojourn, and along with it adventurers from many parts of Europe. These Normans were not numerous enough, however, to affect any but the uppermost social levels of the nation."

SNPA jumped the gun on this one, I think. See "ALFRED P SMYTHE
    Warlords and Holy Men: Scotland AD 80 - 1000
    Edinburgh University Press, 1995 " - which is largely concerned with Scotland, but does also have information on Viking Dublin.

That is just my own view. Weight the evidence, and see what you think fits the best.

Last Online
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the help everyone.