Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have to Be a Particular Religion to Use the Runes?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Do You Have to Be a Particular Religion to Use the Runes?

I believe this is an interesting question.

No. Anyone of any religion can potentially use the runes successfully. However, they are heavily grounded in North European paganism and mythology. Hence any understanding of the runes requires a detailed understanding of these, which may mean people discover that some of the concepts underlying the runes are incompatible with their own belief systems.

One religion strongly linked to the runes is Asatru which keeps fidelity with ancient Norse pagan beliefs and practices. Much recent runic scholarship has been undertaken by those who are Asatru.

http://www.runeschool.org/topics/rs_t_religion.htm

What is your belief? What is your reaction when you see people who are not Heathen, particularly Christians who use the runes in some way?

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    Yes. You have to be in a somewhat relation with the gods (our germanic-gods) in order to practice the craft. Using the runes is a serious responsibility and it's not meant for those who can't understand the runes' close relation with the gods and the culture in which they were summoned. An "outsider" could never understand these things entirely.
    It was Alfather who gained them by sacrificing himself for wisdom. He's not to be confused with Jesus who "took up on himself the sins and pain of all humans in order to redeem all mankind on the Earth".
    Our gods are our own and the wisdom they have gained is also something that concerns us.
    There is no place for foreigners here who usually take the craft up and use it for creating new age hippie movements or radical "aryan-white-fanatic" groups.

What is your belief? What is your reaction when you see people who are not Heathen, particularly Christians who use the runes in some way?
    My belief is that as long as I don't use hieroglyphs, christian symbols, hebrew marks, celtic ogam marks, etc I expect people not to use heathen symbols like the runes.

A christian practicing runecraft is something I would consider as a bad joke.
    :Überschöpfung:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrodnand View Post
    There is no place for foreigners here who usually take it up and use it for creating new age hippie movements or radical "aryan-white-fanatic" groups.
    Such as the National Alliance? Would that be an example of what you mean?

Their logo:

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I don't quite agree with that. Weren't the runes a form of writing, before the Latin alphabet took over? Do you honestly think your ancestors used them exclusively for sacred purposes? I don't think so. The Icelandic alphabet still preserves some runic characters. Is a Christian or Atheist Icelander committing some form of sacrilege if he writes using one of those characters? I'd think not.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Weren't the runes a form of writing, before the Latin alphabet took over?
    It was also a form of writing but used a lot rarely than the Latin alphabet. The Latin alphabet was a form of writing that the church brought with itself when expanding in heathen territories.

Do you honestly think your ancestors used them exclusively for sacred purposes?
    Not exclusively for sacred purposes but also for marking property, marking stones that were raised in the memory of the dead, using them to mark their observations in nature, like Uruz that relates to a breed of European wild ox (also known as the auroch) that has the shape of the rune when looked from the side (the breed unfortunately was extinct in the 16-17th century), Isa that relates to the shape of an icicle, Wunjo that has the shape of a female body from the side. (), or Thurisaz that has the shape of a thorn ,etc.
    So no, the runes were not exclusively used for sacred purposes. But one should always be careful when using them for higher purposes than simple marking.

The Icelandic alphabet still preserves some runic characters.
    I know well about that one and in my opinion it's a sign of melting the runes with the latin alphabet. To me it's rather a sign of importance for Icelanders, that despite the fact that latin alphabet was more and more pierced into their culture they still tried to uphold the runic forms in a way.

Is a Christian or Atheist Icelander committing some form of sacrilege if he writes using one of those characters? I'd think not.
    Sacrilege. That's a bad word for it. It's not about "sacrilege" it's about knowing that things have their own place, where they belong. Such the runes in heathenism, used with a serious purpose. It's more a question of honor than "sacrilege" to me.
    :Überschöpfung:

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 10:55 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna
    I've always considered it disrespectful when people use symbols which dont reflect their belief or conviction.
    Since I'm not religious, I never did a rite, and I wouldnt dare it to just 'try it out', because I respect the runes as something of value and meaning, of belief. And as Hrodnand says, things should be where they belong.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No, the runes pre-date religion. The mysteries may be experienced by those who know how to ask, know how to rede and know how to give. As stated in the Havamol, stanza 145. They may also be the remnant of an ancient language composed mainly of vowels. Such a language may not have served the mundane purpose, that modern language does, to communicate, but was a driving creative force. To speak matter into existence.

No bonds can contain them, no ignorance can dilute them. No force can break them.

Last Online
    Monday, May 11th, 2009 @ 09:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    East Prussia, Saxon England
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Married parent
    Occupation
    hired gun
    Politics
    will to power
    Religion
    Odian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I believe this is an interesting question.
    Religion and Rune-Work can be complimentary but one absolutely does not have to be of any particular religion to successfully work with the Runes.

I think there is a huge amount of misunderstanding and misinformation on the subject in general.

If your native language is a Germanic language and your mind developed within a Germanic society, you can learn, work with, and ultimately Master the Runes.

I think Rune-Work as an institution and craft has progressed substantially more in a real way than the reconstruction of ancient Germanic 'religion'. This is not a slight to anyone. The former is far less subjective than the latter.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 @ 04:36 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavia.
    Country
    State
    California California
    Family
    Looking ;)
    Occupation
    Student and aspiring author
    Politics
    Pro-Monarchy
    Religion
    Open
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Dagna summed everything up pretty nicely. There's nothing about the runes stopping someone who isn't heathen from using them. To use them well you need to understand them and part of that is knowing where they come from. The runes, as I am sure most of you know, were revealed to Odin through grueling self sacrifice and that might make it incompatible with other people's beliefs. Like monotheism.

It'd be like me as an Odinist(or rather on the path to being an Odinist) accepting Jesus as my lord and savior and all that while still worshipping the old gods. Just seems a little mix and match for my taste, but others can do what ever works for them.

I hope that makes sense and isn't too incoherent.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Niedersachsen , gijon
    Subrace
    Nordic amd Ibero-Celtic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    not happy to be divorced
    Occupation
    All ways working
    Politics
    Community Volkisch
    Religion
    Old Religion - European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrodnand View Post
    Yes. You have to be in a somewhat relation with the gods (our germanic-gods) in order to practice the craft. Using the runes is a serious responsibility and it's not meant for those who can't understand the runes' close relation with the gods and the culture in which they were summoned. An "outsider" could never understand these things entirely.
    It was Alfather who gained them by sacrificing himself for wisdom. He's not to be confused with Jesus who "took up on himself the sins and pain of all humans in order to redeem all mankind on the Earth".
    Our gods are our own and the wisdom they have gained is also something that concerns us.
    There is no place for foreigners here who usually take the craft up and use it for creating new age hippie movements or radical "aryan-white-fanatic" groups.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My belief is that as long as I don't use hieroglyphs, christian symbols, hebrew marks, celtic ogam marks, etc I expect people not to use heathen symbols like the runes.

A christian practicing runecraft is something I would consider as a bad joke.

Many things to say, I dont want to bore people here with a very long post so I will make short answers some without too much explanation.

1) Odinism as practiced by many is a religion,but Runa are not only for Odinists. The Norns are the ones that weave fate, and when your time is to die it is Skuld that gives you the death Runa.
    2) They are something for us, Chinese, jews, mediterraenians Turks, all others not Germanic can *not* make any use of Runa. Books by on Runa writen by the "sandy Goldbergs" of the world are ridiculous.
    3) The Runa are sacred
    4) On a secular level the Runes can be used to understand our own psyche,
    as a tool for self analysis and this is good as a very profound belief system is always able to be interpreted on many levels and inteconnect philosophically, logically spiritually and practically with different aspects within itself.
    5) we must approach the Runes with reverence but not fear. Neither Odin nor the Norns like cowards. For men I believe that it is important to not have a fear of dying. we can fear the pain or feel fear in battle but never fear the end of our life. Runa will never help such a man.

"Foolish is he who frets at night,
    And lies awake to worry
    A weary man when morning comes,
    He finds all as bad as before"

The havamal-

When I cast the Runa (made from yew or Ash)
    I Honor Odin the Norna and all the gods-
    (If I am jolly and deep maybe even pet Fenris'
    fur when he is not looking and jump back quickly
    as i like both my hands)
    "Wenn vor uns ein feindliches Heer dann erscheint, Wird Vollgas gegeben Und ran an den Feind!
    Was gilt denn unser Leben
    Für unsres Reiches Heer? (Ja Reiches Heer)
    Für Deutschland zu sterben ist uns höchste Ehr!"

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast