Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I can't get it to open. Is this where we debate the logic of this philosophy? I already mentioned I think it's a false philosophy. There is an objective truth and might does not effect this. If I say 2+2=4 and you say it equals 5 and you beat me up that doesn't make you right. Nor does an aggressive, bullying behavior always lead to success. You can consider an ape to be more "mighty" than a human being. It certainly is stronger and more aggressive. Why don't apes rule the world? Or lions? Because there are rules that make society stronger. Civilized ethics. Planning, intelligence etc.

At the same time of course I believe in being strong, in being assertive, competing etc. which is a teaching of our ancestors via heathenry, but also it says in the havamal for instance "be careful being overly bold at council for you will find someone as bold as you" or something. In the Sagas men who would abuse their power and bully too much were often put down for the group's sake. There was a limit to might even though it was cultivated as a virtue.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by Rainman: There is an objective truth and might does not effect this. If I say 2+2=4 and you say it equals 5 and you beat me up that doesn't make you right. Nor does an aggressive, bullying behavior always lead to success. You can consider an ape to be more "mighty" than a human being. It certainly is stronger and more aggressive. Why don't apes rule the world? Or lions? Because there are rules that make society stronger. Civilized ethics. Planning, intelligence etc.
    Might is not always defined by brute strength alone. This book can not be reduced to your simple analogy. There is much more to it. I encourage you to read it if you have not. It is bound to shake you up a little. For me it was a call to the brave and the defiant. To a mighty people, who were once intelligent and cunning to cast away the convenient life of safety. To reject the notion of inherent freedom and constitutional rights. What are they but deceptions? It is a call to a return of traditional bravery and daring. To individual responsibility and courage.

You get the idea.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 06:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I read it a while back. I agree with most of it but there were certain points that I felt were probably not healthy. I don't remember the exact wording because it has been a while. I also know a lot of people take this philosophy in the wrong way. The term itself suggests an indifference toward objective morals. I see it as a good work for criticizing the old Christian ideals but perhaps the pendulum swung a little too far in the opposite direction.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 5th, 2012 @ 01:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Rugian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Widowed
    Politics
    Tradition
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I remember reading it some years ago, but I never quite got if he writer was pulling my leg or being honest. It IS an interesting subject though.

Last Online
    Monday, March 30th, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Norwegian
    Ancestry
    England (N. Yorkshire/Norfolk), Norway (Rogaland), Germany (Niedersachsen)
    Subrace
    Nordid/Trønder
    Country
    England England
    State
    Mercia Mercia
    Married
    Occupation
    Museum worker
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Might has significantly changed... now even the weakest person can kill the strongest with the pull of a trigger.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't believe that. Having experienced a lot of fights and violence- there is a lot of luck in conflict. Anybody could bash you in the head from behind when you are off guard. Guns haven't significantly changed that factor. If we both have guns surely the one who is more skilled at using it has an edge. And with armies the one who has the best tactics will probably win whenever the weapons are comparable.

I do think that in the modern age intelligence is more of a factor in winning battles than in the past where brute strength was more significant. Though in all ages I guess intelligence was very important. Self dicipline and all those other civilized traits.

I think the argument of the book has to be realized in this context: It was taking a survival of the fittest Darwinist approach as a philosophy of life in contrast to Christian ethics of compassion and a morality "right" based on Christianity and Gods commands. I think he was on to something for his time but we have better refined the philosophy in modern times.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Posted by Rainman: I think the argument of the book has to be realized in this context: It was taking a survival of the fittest Darwinist approach as a philosophy of life in contrast to Christian ethics of compassion and a morality "right" based on Christianity and Gods commands. I think he was on to something for his time but we have better refined the philosophy in modern times.
    I disagree. There is no time more ripe for this book than now. There are two types of man, the man who runs and hides from conflict and the man who meets it head on. This 'philosophy' says honor the latter even in defeat, for the former is a disgrace. Valfader does not fill his hall with the living only the dead who fell may dine there. Those who prove that they are of the latter type. The type that defined the proto-Eruopean peoples. The Cimmerians, the Sarmations, the Scythians, and the Norsemen. They did not sit around content and amused by games and feasting. They did not fear the void they cut through it. The harsh truth of Nature did not subside because of Man. It cares little for man's posterity. While the greatness of our Civilizations may reach into the heavens or crumble into the sea, there are Laws that never change.

At the moment modern man always sees his way as better, it defines progress to him. Yet when the age has passed and his descendants look back, they can clearly see how wrong he was.

Last Online
    Monday, March 30th, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Norwegian
    Ancestry
    England (N. Yorkshire/Norfolk), Norway (Rogaland), Germany (Niedersachsen)
    Subrace
    Nordid/Trønder
    Country
    England England
    State
    Mercia Mercia
    Married
    Occupation
    Museum worker
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I don't believe that. Having experienced a lot of fights and violence- there is a lot of luck in conflict. Anybody could bash you in the head from behind when you are off guard. Guns haven't significantly changed that factor. If we both have guns surely the one who is more skilled at using it has an edge. And with armies the one who has the best tactics will probably win whenever the weapons are comparable.

I do think that in the modern age intelligence is more of a factor in winning battles than in the past where brute strength was more significant. Though in all ages I guess intelligence was very important. Self dicipline and all those other civilized traits.

I think the argument of the book has to be realized in this context: It was taking a survival of the fittest Darwinist approach as a philosophy of life in contrast to Christian ethics of compassion and a morality "right" based on Christianity and Gods commands. I think he was on to something for his time but we have better refined the philosophy in modern times.

A very valid argument and I'd have to agree with you. Intelligence did play a keen role along with strength in the past. Though the firearm has changed the rules a bit.. it has not changed them completely. But a weaker man has a better chance surely. In the past... give a weak man an axe and he has not much chance. Now, give a weak man a gun and his chance has increased drastically.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I disagree. Success is best. Take whatever route leads to success. Sometimes this involves avoiding conflict. For example I suppose some of the heroic blood still pulses in my veins because as a child I never ran from conflict. I never felt any fear either. When people threatened me and expected me to back down I stood up to them. This led to me getting beat down by people twice my age, twice as big as me and in large groups against just 1. I think my bravery would work if I were part of a tribe or nation of people like me. But I've always been unlike most others around me and usually alone. Our culture does not reward bravery. If I was alive in Viking times all the women would want me, the men would respect me and I would gain great riches for my actions. Yet in modern times all you will get is in trouble with the law and broken bones. People today (mostly non-Aryans) do not fight honorably. Is jumping someone 3 on 1 for no real reason accomplishing anything? I learned thus to avoid fighting people because nothing is ever gained from it. Even if I win a fight I have nothing exept the satisfaction. I haven't gained any wealth or respect. Life can't really be boiled down to such a simple equation as you put it in or ragnar does.

Sometimes you fight with your fists sometimes with your mind. It doesn't always pay to be aggressive. So I agree to the extent- yeah have a backbone, yes stand up for yourself, yes don't be afraid of conflict, but at the same time learn restraint when there is nothing to gain from conflict. Or even be aggressive in other ways. Channel that energy into a college degree or making yourself more powerful/wealthy in this world. That thug on the street can threaten you with his fists, but you can control his job or have power over him in a much more sophisticated and intelligent way. Many of these little weakling unathletic Jews are the most aggressive people on the planet but they don't do it through physical confrontation but through being sneaky and business and all that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast