Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freja_se View Post
    The bit about the third reich seems utter nonsense to me, probably since Germanics don't mean Germans, so Germans/tyskar is the word used when you discuss the third reich.
    I wonder if you confuse my post with someone elses or think that I defend the erroneous statements made (that tyskar can mean germaner which is just ridicilous). About the Third Reich and Hitler, Germanic is used in the context of the "Germanic race", den germanska rasen, in history classes dealing with WW2.

That is interesting. What about "Tyskar", the word for Germans? Does it have the same connotations? Could the negative connotations of "Germansk" be the reason Snowman mentioned "Tyskar" as a widely used word?
    No, Tyskar does not have any general nazi connotations apart from perhaps in some mentally deranged leftists who think of Hitler whenever Germany or Germans is brought up for discussion. Tysk/Tyskar is simply a nationality in Swedish.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 03:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrioten View Post

No, Tyskar does not have any general nazi connotations apart from perhaps in some mentally deranged leftists who think of Hitler whenever Germany or Germans is brought up for discussion. Tysk/Tyskar is simply a nationality in Swedish.
    Yes, more so than germaner, which you suggested had such connotations. Uneducated people might confuse germaner with tyskar, so it could explain it.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 03:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yes, more so than germaner, which you suggested had such connotations.
    Then we obviously have rather different experiences on this matter.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Then we obviously have rather different experiences on this matter.
    Apparently.

In what way would the word "germaner"/germanics be appropriate and used when you discuss the third reich? I'm curious. It doesn't mean tyskar/Germans.

Germaner/Germanics is often used when you discuss ancient Germanic tribes and Germanic languages. I have never seen any negative connotation to it, just as I haven't seen any negative connotations to Germanics, but to Germans, yes, you sometimes see it.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I have also found it interesting because Hitler did not speak of a Germanic race, but of a German race. When he spoke of people other than Germans, as of a collective, he used phrases like "the Aryan race".

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 03:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In what way would the word "germaner"/germanics be appropriate and used when you discuss the third reich? I'm curious. It doesn't mean tyskar/Germans.
    I'm thinking to myself how to explain this so that you will understand. In school you learn about world war 2, Hitler, the holocaust, and some about the nazi/racist ideology of Hitler. The term aryan is often used within this education, we are talking about school here, but "den germanska rasen", the germanic race, is also used interchangably because it was a term used back then to denote the racial group that Germans and other Germanic people belonged to according to some racial classification systems at that time.

I can't make it any more simple than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    I have also found it interesting because Hitler did not speak of a Germanic race, but of a German race. When he spoke of people other than Germans, as of a collective, he used phrases like "the Aryan race".
    I wont vouch for the quality of the education I recieved in the Swedish public school system, after all I was told that the Germans made soap and lampshades from Jews.

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I don't understand how someone can confuse Germanic with German outside English. The words for them are obviously very different, not like in English.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 04:23 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Halland Halland
    Mechanic
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm sorry but that is not correct. Tyskar means Germans, and only Germans. The Swedish word for Germanics is "GERMANER".

So, no, "tyskar" does not work fine, and I have never in my life seen the word tyskar refer to anything other than Germans, only.

Germanic languages is called "Germanska språk" in Swedish.

The German language is called "tyska språket" in Swedish.

If you want to refer to Scandinavians you would say "skandinaver" or sometimes "nordbor" in Swedish. The adjectives are "skandinavisk" and "nordisk". Scandinavia, or the Nordic countries, is sometimes referred to as "norden".
    Thank you. But I already know all that.

I tryed answer to Dagna questions. I paste it again

"Which term is most commonly used in Scandinavia to refer to Germanics as a whole? I know of the existence of words like "nordisk" but I am curious if there is another which includes people like the Germans, English or Dutch."

The correct word is "Germaner". Although I and other use the word "tyskar" when we want to simplify things in an conversation. Because the language and all the people is originated from german tribes looong back in time. Dagna asked for alternative to "Germaner" and I just gave one.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'm thinking to myself how to explain this so that you will understand. In school you learn about world war 2, Hitler, the holocaust, and some about the nazi/racist ideology of Hitler. The term aryan is often used within this education, we are talking about school here, but "den germanska rasen", the germanic race, is also used interchangably because it was a term used back then to denote the racial group that Germans and other Germanic people belonged to according to some racial classification systems at that time.

I can't make it any more simple than that.

I wont vouch for the quality of the education I recieved in the Swedish public school system, after all I was told that the Germans made soap and lampshades from Jews.
    The term Aryan/arisk is used, but not germansk/Germanic, since it has no link to the Nazis. They didn't speak of Germanics/germaner, they spoke of the Germans and of the Aryan race, and the German people.

I think this is simply a case of not realizing that the word "germaner"/Germanics doesn't mean tyskar/Germans. lol

It seems a few Swedes don't know the difference.

The word germaner/Germanics has never had any racially loaded meaning in Swedish, and I have never heard the term "Germanic/germanska race used in school , but instead the term ariska/Aryan race. The word Aryan was very important and the one used, so there you would have a case since it indeed has negative "third reich" connotations.

Germaner:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaner

Aryan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Although I and other use the word "tyskar" when we want to simplify things in an conversation. Because the language and all the people is originated from german tribes looong back in time.
    Do you believe in some form of Paleolithic Continuity Theory or do you posit a proto-Germanic Urheimat in Germany within a wider Indo-Europeanisation process?

The expansion of the Germanic tribes is usually imagined in a North-South direction like this:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast