Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Are Cars Really Necessary?

[Note: Split from this thread.]

Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    Driving cars is necessary. Being revealing is not.
    Driving cars is not necessary at all. I do not currently hold a driving licence --- because I have not yet needed one. Wherever I wish to head in this city, I can walk - and wherever I wish to head outwith it, I can usually take the train. Or if I feel really sporty, ride my bike.

That some people drive cars - that is perhaps necessary to get from A to B quicker: Sometimes one may need to take a bus (I often take the bus for longer distances). But if we taught our children that driving buses was reserved to those who are paid for it as a job --- then we'd not ever need to enter a car ourselves. My paternal grandfather had no driving licence until he was 50 - and my grandmother, his wife, never underwent a driving test. Yet, they were mobile people - they just didn't believe they needed a driving licence to get by.

Sure, driving/riding a car is a comfortable - but it is by no means necessary. Where good public transport is available, most long distances can be tackled by using public transport and most short distances can be walked. Bikes can be used for both short and medium distances. Have we forgotten that we have feet given to walk?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think you knew what I meant, Sigurd. Here in America, we are largely dependent on cars. Some sort of motor-vehicle trasportation is usually necessary if you wish to get anywhere. Cars, busses, subways, trains, etc. is something hard to live without nowadays. The same cannot be said for immodest clothing, on the other hand. It's not something anyone is dependent on.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 09:40 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    I think you knew what I meant, Sigurd. Here in America, we are largely dependent on cars. Some sort of motor-vehicle trasportation is usually necessary if you wish to get anywhere. Cars, busses, subways, trains, etc. is something hard to live without nowadays. The same cannot be said for immodest clothing, on the other hand. It's not something anyone is dependent on.
    Cars, busses, subways, trains etc. are all public transport and are thus driven by professionals. If we disused personal cars and told children that all motorised transport was driven by professionals only, then well ... we wouldn't be tempting them to use our personal cars.

Either way - I am not arguing that we should. I like cars and find them convenient. However they remain just that: A convenience, not a necessity. I can't even remember how oft I begged my ex to head into town by car because it didn't involve a 45-minute-walk --- but the fact is that in the long run you realise that any walk which gets you from A to B within an hour or so need not be undertaken by personal motor vehicles. Helps the environment and your physical health, too.

A walk can help you to get your mind off things anyhow, too. I had a fierce argument with my entire family at my grandparents' sometime last summer - I chose to walk the 13km (just over 7 miles) back home. I felt calm, relieved and happier afterwards.

I know it's something that an American could never think of - but perhaps one should consider leaving their car at home more often, especially when you are just heading down to the shops.

Well either way, my intention was not to lead this discussion off-topic --- my intention was to point out that personal cars are really a convenience, not a necessity.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Totally depends on the area, imo.

In most European cities with reliable public transportation, they're anything but necessary. In fact, they're a nuisance.

In other places, on the other hand, I can't imagine how people would do without them, when the distances they have to cover are huge and weather conditions are harsh.

As a golden rule, I believe in making cars as little necessary as possible. Whenever you can avoid taking the car, avoid it.

For smaller distances it is a good idea to walk (people have forgotten how to walk nowadays) and for larger distances public transportation and carpooling are great ideas for financial, social and environmental reasons.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swiss German
    Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Direct democracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    If you live in a metropolis, you'll find it hard to get a parking space and if you do, you run the risk of getting blocked by countless other cars or yelled at for stealing another's parking space. It's a nightmare whenever I travel to one of the European capitals. I usually secure a parking space somewhere and leave my car there until I depart. I rely on public transport during my stay. If you live in a village and you don't have a car, you'll have to rely on busses which come few times a day, so you can't miss them. But either way, you can make it without a car, it's just more difficult.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 @ 03:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch/German
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cars are necessary to those who care about sustaining the phase of civilisation we currently find ourselves in. I don't. I wouldn't care if they disappeared/vanished from the face of the earth along with the past 500 years of technological advancement. But that's just me.

Realistically, however, of course they're necessary. At least where I live, public transport is unreliable, unhealthy and uneconomical. Everywhere of interest is beyond walking distance for suburbanites. Plus, our planet is screwed no matter what we do now anyway.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Hmm, public transport isn't always better and more reliable. I avoid public transport a lot because of the insalubre conditions and because it's always full of Gypsies. It's like a magnet for them and poor peoples. The smell is awful and there's a possibility of catching contagious diseases from it.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimWheat View Post
    I wouldn't care if they disappeared/vanished from the face of the earth along with the past 500 years of technological advancement. But that's just me.
    I hope your wife will think the same when she's told you wished there was no washing machine.

Realistically, however, of course they're necessary At least where I live, public transport is unreliable, unhealthy and uneconomical.
    Realistically they are still a convenience. If there was more government spending on functioning public transport then motor cars would no longer be considered a necessity by anyone.

Plus, our planet is screwed no matter what we do now anyway.
    I fuss with such a defeatist viewpoint. Of course, our planet is slowly dying with every day - that is a fact. Decay is a fact that passes on with every second. However, there is no need to speed it up unnecessarily. Just because I know that come to, I will die, it doesn't mean that I should jump off a towerblock this time tomorrow.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    There is biodiesel and eco-friendly cars these days, and they will probably increase in future.

Buying an Eco-Friendly Car

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    There is biodiesel and eco-friendly cars these days, and they will probably increase in future.

Buying an Eco-Friendly Car
    Kleinvieh macht auch Mist.

Eco-friendly cars are of course a step in the right direction whilst usage of motor vehicles is constantly on the increase - but in the long run, if they are half as dangerous to the environment ... by the time there's twice as many cars as there are now: Even if they are all economically friendly, you'd be at the same level of pollution as we are now. Not to speak of the fact that the rape for Rapeseed Petrol has to grow somewhere, too.

Step into the right direction - but not a full solution. A fuller solution would include both teaching people that cars are not a necessity but a convenience AND making the cars on the market more eco-friendly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast