Libertarian
    Religion
    Let's talk...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Germanic Masculine Virtues?

If there's another thread on this already, please someone give me a link.

Is there a distinctively Germanic take on the "masculine virtues"? If so, where could I find this information?

hearthtender
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I like the idea but do not have an answer to your question. I think that men and women may show virtues differently but the virtues have the same base.

Well as far as I am concerned the Nine Noble Virtues are seen as fairly 'Masculine'. I keep having pagans look at me funny for sounding 'manly' when I talk about the virtues.
    Courage: to have courage doesn’t mean to lack fear, it means to act in spite of fear. It is the core virtue of the nine because none of the other eight virtues exist without it.

Truth: to seek and provide truth is to seek and provide reality, to have the wisdom to determine reality from fantasy, then further determine one reality from another.

Honor: is not about reputation or esteem, because people can have the best of reputations and have very little honor - honor is more about worth and integrity as a human being.

Fidelity: to be loyal, to understand why that loyalty exists, and to be reliable and deserving of loyalty one’s self. Fidelity is best when earned, and a curse when gained through demand or deception.

Discipline: self-control, the will and the practice of governing one’s self so that others don’t have to.

Hospitality: does not lock itself indoors, nor does it suffer the hindrance of inconvenience. It is the greatest of the nine virtues because to have it, one must also have the other eight.

Self-Reliance: if you can’t rely on yourself, neither can anyone else.

Industriousness: is the act of doing, of transforming stasis into motion, which is what makes our world go ’round.

Perseverance: purpose, and the will to remember it even when it would be more convenient to do otherwise.
    There are books like Fire in the Belly that are about being a man but not Germanic in focus.

Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Thursday, July 14th, 2016 @ 09:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German/Scottish/Dutch
    Ancestry
    Saxony-Anhalt
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Yes
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Let's talk...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the book ref; I just ordered one! Sam Keen is in a documentary I really like, Flight From Death, and I appreciated his contribution there. I'm looking forward to checking out the book.

The NNV look like a pretty sound list, and I see what you mean about having a masculine bent, but I'm still looking for something more definitively masculine, and in this context, I'm wondering if there's a disctinctively Germanic take on "what it means to be a man".

Looking forward to seeing what Sam has to say about that, though.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, May 11th, 2009 @ 08:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    East Prussia, Saxon England
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Married parent
    Occupation
    hired gun
    Politics
    will to power
    Religion
    Odian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Löwenherz View Post
    If there's another thread on this already, please someone give me a link.

Is there a distinctively German take on the "masculine virtues"? If so, where could I find this information?
    The best place to look is at the actions of 'Germanic Icons'. To some these are the Heathen Gods, to others they include the Teutonic Knights, Fredrick The Great, Rommel...the variety is as expansive as the definition of 'Germanic'. The best you will get is opinion, some better informed than others.

Mine is that 'masculine virtues' boil down mainly to action true to a value system in which the individual holds himself accountable not only to his own progress, but the progress of his family and people. It is about being accountable far beyond his immediate desires, accountable to forebears to meet their example, and accountable to descendants to surpass the example set by forebears. Mainly it is about action.

It is about being a good brother, son, and most importantly, a good father. That means obedience. In terms of Man as distinct from boy: a boy has become a man when he has mastered obedience to his Fathers will to the degree that he has developed his own will and is obedient to that. Today there are too many boys who are fathers and lack the main (maegen) to obey any will, much less actually develop one of their own!