Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    I was reading a newsarticle about banning foreign foods in Italy...
    It's quite obvious that the food itself is not a denigrating factor on any culture; it is the sheer number of such restaurants and fast food outlets which are springing up in that part of Italy.

I'm no 'food fascist': I'm a keen consumer of kebabs, pizzas and Chinese food. But when a town centre is overwhelmed with such businesses, it takes on a more sinister aspect.
    And that is when it is time to act.

In my own city I have walked into 2 Pakistani corner shops in the last few weeks, to buy a simple loaf of bread and a newspaper, respectively.
    Both times I could only find 'Chleb' (yay, I learnt my first Polish word!) and foreign language newspapers.

Good on the Italians. I wish my municipal "leaders" had half the backbone of theirs'.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 @ 11:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Guessed atm, will fill later
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    European food is ofc the best, though some asian dishes are good too. About banning immigrant food - better to ban immigrants themselves . Food will disappear with them.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanus View Post
    European food is ofc the best, though some asian dishes are good too. About banning immigrant food - better to ban immigrants themselves . Food will disappear with them.
    Hmm, that's true, but banning food could have an indirect affect on the immigrants too. If they aren't able to sell their kebabs their business won't flourish anymore.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hmm, that\'s true, but banning food could have an indirect affect on the immigrants too. If they aren\'t able to sell their kebabs their business won\'t flourish anymore.
    Yep, i see your point. But dont you think that a government pro-European enough to actually ban immigrant food would have enough courage for greater things?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanus View Post
    Yep, i see your point. But dont you think that a government pro-European enough to actually ban immigrant food would have enough courage for greater things?
    I'm not sure. It's easier to ban foreign foods than to ban immigration. Because in the latter case more human rights and equality groups will step in. The example is in the first post. Measures about food preservation are already taken, before something about immigration is done.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I\'m not sure. It\'s easier to ban foreign foods than to ban immigration. Because in the latter case more human rights and equality groups will step in. The example is in the first post. Measures about food preservation are already taken, before something about immigration is done.
    You\'re right. It would be a decent first step.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, May 7th, 2011 @ 09:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Austrian-German
    Ancestry
    Viennese
    Country
    Austria Austria
    State
    Vienna Vienna
    Nationalist-libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Here are some figures about the preferences in Vienna:

Viennas most popular restaurants in the evening are Italian restaurants. 72 percent of the women and 57 percent of the men prefer the Italian cuisine. The second most popular restaurants in Vienna have native cuisine in their menu. Wiener Schnitzel is one of the most popular meals in Austrias capital. On the third rank comes the Asian cuisine.
    [Source]

At least the Wiener Schnitzel can still be found everywhere. But otherwise, it's easier to find an Italian restaurant in Vienna that a decent Viennese one. It was a long time since I've seen one to offer a decently prepared Tafelspitz for example.
    THINK! It's not illegal yet.

Last Online
    Monday, May 29th, 2017 @ 10:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Denmark
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Reason
    Religion
    Science
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I thought it was bad enough down here ... but, oh my, I had no idea just HOW bad it is further up north!
    I guess it's just Nordrhein-Westfalen, in Schleswig-Holstein, traditional food is still the standard. Nearly every little village has at least one "Dorfkrug" with traditional (north-) german food, and in towns of medium size like Kiel or Flensburg, there are of course numerous traditional restaurants. The most common non-german restaurants are probably italian ones (pizzerias). Engish (steak houses) ones are quite common, too, but they're rarely run by "real" englishmen. Of course we have quite a few thai/chinese restaurants, too, but they're clearly a minority (about 1:5 I'd guess) when compared to traditional ones. Apart from that, there are also some danish ones, but with all the respect and friendship to our northern neighbors, I can't quite recommend them unless you want to eat fish and fish alone

Fast food, on the other hand, is predominantly run by immigrants, at least in the bigger cities (about 2:1). On the countryside there's rarely any fast food at all, other than mobile fast food sellers who stand near local supermarkets to sell their stuff. Most of them are germans selling french fries and bratwurst, the rest are turkish or greece immigrants. On the other hand, I don't think fast food is a part of german culture at all, though.

Generally I like both native and foreign food. Still, most of the time I end up in a steak house or traditional german restaurant, simply because I enjoy the good ambiance most of these ones offer.

If you ever have the chance, visit the steak house "Am Kamin" in Eckernförde and order the filet steak in pepper sauce with fried potatoes. I recommend either medium or medium rare. It comes with a mixed salad and a self-baked piece of steakhouse bread, too

Together with a draught Flensburger and about 10% tip you're at 20€ that can hardly be spent better.
    "Lever dot as slav."

Last Online
    Sunday, November 3rd, 2019 @ 07:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Low German & French
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I don't think that foreign foods should be banned. How do we actually establish what is foreign? For example, a banana might be "foreign" in Sweden since it does not grow there. I think once in a while it's nice and interesting to try a different dish, one learns more about a different culture.

Last Online
    Monday, November 19th, 2018 @ 09:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norman
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Normandy Normandy
    Europeanist and regionalist
    Religion
    Honor your ancestors
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually there are theories explaining that "exotic food" (not from European continent) are not suitable for European organism. Theory says shortly that we are not able to digest it correctly and that in some extent this could even be damagable for our health, even toxic sometimes (I heard that about coconut for example).

I didn't find any serious study proving that european organism isn't able to take the nutriments and digest this food for now. Specially when we know that exotic food is not consumed daily in Europe, toxicity only occurs when it becomes a habit and excessive IMO.

BTW benefits of some "exotic" food have been proved lately, even for skin care, I'm thinking about coconut oil for example which is excellent for skin / hair care but also to cook because you can heat it longer and more than the rest of oils who become toxic once hot. It is plenty of interesting nutriments, vitamins. Very interesting to introduce it in our food IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Idis View Post
    I don't think that foreign foods should be banned. How do we actually establish what is foreign? For example, a banana might be "foreign" in Sweden since it does not grow there. I think once in a while it's nice and interesting to try a different dish, one learns more about a different culture.
    To come back to your example about banana, if you forget health impact, the first producer of bananas in Europe is Iceland. This is a great european production, in an european country. Same for tomato, not european originally but produced and developped a lot in many mediterranean countries and very healthy. What about potatoe then ? They are not european neither basically but many traditionnal germanic recipes are using it.

The problem about foreign food IMO is more the cultural fact that extra european migrants tend to impose their food culturally to their host and specially when it comes about religion (requesting to remove pork, requesting for hallal food everywhere etc); this is what they are doing in France for example and the State totally approuve their requests. Now in public school in France for example children won't eat any pork and are eating hallal. Nevermind parents allow that or not, this is the law for everyone to suit the muslims. This is not normal IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12