Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
    What I would like to know is why would a wife and mother wear such revealing attire in public as many do these days. Are they deliberately trolling for men to commit adultery with, or are they just feeling as if they aren't receiving enough attention at home?

An ex-fiancee dressed this way while we were together. She had two small children from a former marriage, but insisted on wearing tight shorts, and a halter top while out and about. And she was a babe that attracted a lot of male attention, which never really bothered me at the time. But her father once asked me why she ran around dressed that way. To which I honestly didn't have an answer for... And still don't.

Frankly, I think a married women should dress more modestly, regardless of how attractive they are.
    Hmm, I've heard from some other women that they like to dress "sexy" to impress their boyfriends or because they want their boyfriends to be proud of them. Some women think guys like to show them off like trophies or say, "look, that's my girl over there". Other women have said they do it for the challenge, i.e. to remind the guy they're with they are still attractive and can turn heads.

In my view, provocative dressing can cause a lot of issues and unneeded social situations. Besides, a woman can be sexy without revealing too much...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    I'm posting an article which I think speaks truth about modesty and beauty. It's from a Christian website but I think it holds generally true.

For those men who truly love what God loves, a holy (set-apart) woman is the greatest beauty. For a godly man, a godly and modest woman far outshines the immodest women who have bought into the lies of the world.

I’m not just saying this to make you feel better, it’s really true! I’m a guy, I should know! Even though at public school and college I saw and interacted with plenty of girls who would have been considered beautiful by the world’s standards, I never found myself attracted to any of them because their immodesty revealed their hearts. They were not interested in the things of God.

A modestly dressed woman emanates this almost tangible aura of dignity.

She commands respect without uttering a word or lifting a finger. It’s almost intimidating. Of course, this whole façade crumbles if she acts in a selfish and immodest manner, yet I still find this air modesty produces very strange, and I don’t know if this is the case for all guys. It might just be this way for me because I’ve become so used to being around immodestly dressed women, modesty seems more alien to me personally.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT IS TRUE? ALL THOSE WOMEN IN MAGAZINES, BILLBOARDS, TV COMMERCIALS: UGLY. THEY’RE SO UGLY!

And I’m sorry if I’m being too harsh. I know those models, and everyday girls who dress immodestly, are people too, but the way they present themselves is ugly. But how can I say that?

It’s no secret that men are drawn toward “hot” immodestly dressed women, but even among non-Christian men, there is a difference between being drawn by lust and being drawn by beauty. Men, unilaterally, tend to respect women more who dress modestly.

I know many girls dress immodestly to try and draw the love of a man, but something I wish women could understand is that when they attract a guy because of immodesty, they aren’t getting what they want. When a girl attracts a guy with immodest dress, the feelings she is stirring up in him are lustful, not admiration or respect, and nothing that even resembles love. Guys who are attracted in that way are attracted because they see an object they can use for selfish pleasure.

This is why, men who love the things of God, will actually be repulsed by immodestly dressed women. That is not to say they will not still experience temptation to give into their flesh, but the temptation they are fighting is lust, not attraction. As a guy I knew once perfectly summed up, “Something that is immodest is something that is designed to arouse lust within me. Attractiveness is a far more mysterious quality, a mixture of spirituality, personality and physical beauty.”

Modesty is putting the importance of others above yourself.

Modesty really is beautiful, and not so much the clothing, though that can be nice too, but it is the splendor of godly character. True modesty is putting the importance of others above yourself. This modesty of heart will bleed through to the surface, influencing a person’s actions and dress. Modesty must be worn inside out (1 Peter 5: 5-6).

Modesty also allows us to forsake our insecurities because we’re too focused on willing the good of others to be concerned about our own egos. Girls who are modest can drop the burden of trying to bring attention to themselves and attract a guy, because the right kind of guys won’t be interested in girls trying to pursue them anyway, either with immodest dress or immodest actions (although I understand how not being the one to pursue presents challenges of its own!).

Modesty is freeing, it is empowering, and it is infinitely more valuable and beautiful than the world’s definition of what makes an attractive woman or man. This is because modesty is tied so closely with love. Living and dressing modestly is one way we love our neighbor and honor God. There is no shame, there is no angst, just a peace in Christ and a will to see others enriched through Christ in us.
    The source: http://alovelycalling.com/2015/07/10...st-from-a-guy/

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    8/16 English, 1/16 Scott. English, 3/16 Irish English, 4/16 Irish
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nationalist / Eclectic
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Swede View Post
    Meaning?
    The photo reminded me of a well known Christmas song, Let It Snow:

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Man it doesn't show signs of stoppin'
    And I brought some corn for poppin'
    The lights are turned way down low

When we finally kiss good-night
    How I'll hate going out in the storm
    But if you really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm

And the fire is slowly dying
    And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing
    But as long as you love me so
    Let it snow, let it snow, and snow

I think a woman with long hair and red lipstick looks very nice in winter clothes like those.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aelfgar For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 12:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfgar View Post
    The photo reminded me of a well known Christmas song, Let It Snow:

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go

Man it doesn't show signs of stoppin'
    And I brought some corn for poppin'
    The lights are turned way down low

When we finally kiss good-night
    How I'll hate going out in the storm
    But if you really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm

And the fire is slowly dying
    And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing
    But as long as you love me so
    Let it snow, let it snow, and snow

I think a woman with long hair and red lipstick looks very nice in winter clothes like those.

Oh, I have't heard that song.

Nice to see that some men can also value women who ''covers'' hers body traditional clothes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Married
    Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Tradition
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    To be honest, I don't find revealing clothes to be sexy. Showing too much skin is actually a turn off, as it leaves little to the imagination. A bare shoulder or arm is more elegant than a camel toe or seeing the color of someone's underwear.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleyer For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    It seems that modest dress is having a comeback into mainstream fashions. One if the result of more religious women - Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. - shopping for fashionable clothes, others call it "the Kate Middleton effect":

The Duchess of Cambridge, with her long-sleeve wedding dress, ballet flats, and monarch-approved hemlines, is "the gold standard" of modesty, says Debbie Shatzkes, an Orthodox Jewish 29-year-old who lives on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and has a fashion blog called The Oak. Shatzkes also likes Maggie Gyllenhaal (who is "always showing up in these boho outfits but she's covered up"), Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dresses, and Elie Saab gowns. (Although Mayim Bialik, who is an Orthodox Jew, has spoken about the difficulty of finding awards show dresses that don't have plunging necklines, as well as designers willing to supply them.)

It's a recurring sentiment from women who aim to dress modestly that they want to project a kind of grown-up beauty along the lines of Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, or Jackie O. As Jae Curtis, a Utah-based Mormon and blogger at No More Mom Jeans explains, "Women want to cover up without feeling frumpy. When I get dressed in the morning, I'm not like 'Oh, I need to cover my shoulders.'"

It just happens: She keeps her shoulders covered, makes sure dresses and skirts hit the knee or below, and avoids low-cut shirts. "I actually think that modest dressing is something that naturally occurs when you have kids and get a little older. I'm 30—I'm no longer in a place where showing a lot of skin is a priority to me. I want to look classic, clean, and stylish, so I naturally gravitate toward clothes that help me accomplish that image."
    The source: https://www.racked.com/2015/1/13/756...ssing-modestly

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314