United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePercent View Post
    These things are all true, but in a home defense situation long-distance isn't usually a big issue, and it is a lot easier to hit and stop a target with a shotgun than it is with a rifle at close ranges, not to mention over-penetration as I mentioned earlier. Most rifle rounds will go right through concrete; they won't even be slightly slowed down by drywall. I certainly wouldn't want to risk shooting a family member through a wall in my home while I am trying to protect us. The size and weight are significant drawbacks admittedly, but it is possible to get a shorter barrel and polycarbonate stocks that really reduce the overall weight. Another big advantage to a shotgun is price, for less than $300 you can usually buy a brand new Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 while your average carbine like a Mini-14 will easily cost twice that if not three times. If someone is looking for a "just-in-case" weapon and isn't looking to spend a whole lot of time becoming a marksman I think that a shotgun is easily the best choice.
    While indeed the most likely fights will be very close (and swift, so much so that having time to ready a long gun that is not within arms reach is perhaps not probable) a carbine with ghostring/aperture sights will give our hero more precision up close, which is quite important for obvious reasons.

A good used Ruger or M1 carbine (or lever-action pistol-magnum) can be had for less than $500. Besides their low costs, these models I've recommended have metallic sights that are low-mounted (not high over the barrel) making up-close accuracy easier than with an AR-15 or Kalaschnikow-Schmeisser.

If a novice is not willing to spend much time practicing, I'd say the heavy-recoiling, sightless, manually-loading cannon that launches 5 or 9 projectiles with one trigger pull should be near the bottom of the list of recommendations. While people have their intangible preferences, it's been my experience that newcomers especially if they are small, are not effective with the shotgun. Recently, all it took was one round from a heavy, relatively light-recoiling gas-operated semiautomatic 12-gauge to scare one young lady enough to refuse the second shot. She did fine, up close, with the GLOCK 9mm, however.

Last Online
    Sunday, June 26th, 2011 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Germanic
    Ancestry
    Mostly Germanic
    Conservative
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The best home defense firearm in my opinion, is something along the lines of a Mossberg 500.

MidgardPatriot
    For £26, a Cold Steel Bushman knife is designed to be made into a thrusting spear. It would be reassuring to have if ever there was a riot outside.

'In Anglo-Saxon burial grounds, the spear is by far the most common type of weapon unearthed. It is a weapon that can make an untrained man fairly dangerous very quickly. It keeps your enemy at a fair distance, and most importantly cheap to make. It was the traditional weapon that Woden used and remained the weapon par excellence among the Germanic peoples even during the tenth and eleventh centuries.'
    http://www.regia.org/spear.htm

Last Online
    Monday, March 12th, 2012 @ 04:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Sweden, Norway, England
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Married
    Occupation
    Commercial Banker
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For versatility, nothing beats a 12 Gauge. However, I differ on the idea of a pump preferring a semi-auto. This comes from training multiple novices who mastered the semi-auto quicker and were able to retain the operational knowledge over time. If you are concerned about over penetration, use number 7 1/2 bird shot which is still extemely lethal at close range.

If a handgun is your choice, a Glock is an outstanding choice. For best reliability, use FMJ ammo rather than hollow points - a 9mm Glock shooting FMJ ammo is very effective. If you feel you need more power, go with a 40 SW or 45 ACP but stick with FMJ ammo.

My petite wife uses a Glock 40 SW with FMJ and feels totally confident.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:04 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    hanseatic
    Ancestry
    West-Prussia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Engaged
    Occupation
    selling paper
    Politics
    patriotic
    Religion
    there is but one
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hello home-defendants and beginners!

Being a european gunmaker I'd recommend a handgun with a socially relevant caliber.
    This means .38 Spec+ for revolvers and 9mm Parabellum/Luger+ for pistols in power to grant the effect that burglars of your home must not be dealt with docters afterwards but with parsons .
    My favorite recommendation would be .357 Rem for six-shooters and .45 ACP with pistols. After 40 years of hunting I have experienced that a slow and heavy bullet has more instant killing capacity in comparison to light bullets at high speeds.
    The alpha and omega in handgun rounds is the choice of the projectile at proper velocity:
    I'd recommend a heavy and soft bullet-construction like Federal Hydra Shok, Glaser safety-slug, THV, if available. No small caliber and pipsqueak things like .25 Br. or .32 ACP or the works.

European houses usually are made from brick- / concrete walls and thus are not penetrable with shotguns and rifles of standard calibers below 12Ga. / .308 Win.

Shotguns for homedefence are useless unless you own a palace.

Best regards from good ol' Germany,

Pless
    "Ein Volk, das keine Waffen trägt, wird Ketten tragen!"
    (A populace not carrying arms will carry chains)

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with the slow and heavy bullet assertion, especially if the intruder is negroid (and thereby particularly dangerous and unreasonable.) The .45ACP is an impressive looking slug, but too slow, and disperses its energy over a wider area than smaller calibers. The 9mm, by virtue of its light slug, has too little energy to reliably penetrate the negro skull. I listened to one negro talking about the scar on his forehead and saying it was a 9mm that bounced off! Stories also abound about .45 bullets that hit someone more like a club than a projectile, failing to penetrate the skull, or not penetrating deeply enough into the body to cause sufficient damage to render the threat inert.

The minimal caliber one should use to defend against aggressive, thick-headed targets is the .40 S&W. This has a larger slug than the 9mm and is delivered at a comparable speed, providing more energy on the target in a smaller space than the .45ACP. Better yet is the 10mm... same caliber as the .40, but with a longer casing holding more powder for a semi-magnum effect. The 10mm delivers as much energy as a .357 magnum, with a larger diameter slug. And while the .357 is mostly limited to use in revolvers, the 10mm is readily available in double-stacked autos like the Glock 20, which will give you 15+1 shots in case you should need them.

Another essential for a home defense gun is night sights. You know your home better than the burglar does, so your advantage is in the darkness... if you can aim properly. The night sights let you do that.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:04 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    hanseatic
    Ancestry
    West-Prussia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Engaged
    Occupation
    selling paper
    Politics
    patriotic
    Religion
    there is but one
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hello double Corvus Corax !

I do not know what wonder-types of maximally pigmented exotes are populating your place in Texas, where according to your license-plates everything is bigger & better.
    Over here the nigger-foreheads are of the same matter than the whities ones: bone. Same structure, same thickness, same specific weight. Full stop.

The 9mm Parabellum round (123 gr./ 8 Gr.; 360 m/sec) is able to penetrate a steel-helmet of German make (1,6mm thick with a tensile strength of 1600 N/mm²) at a range of 800 yds, a performance it was designed for in 1898.

Even 3 of your mentioned wonder-men in a row cannot stop the projectiles FMC - trajectory.

For hunting I own a canadian-made Para-Ordnance Mod. 10/45 for "coup de grâce" purpose. The 230 gr. hardballer delivers a punch of 550 Joules at point-blank-range which is enough for even the biggest Elk in Europe.
    The weapon is the smallest sub-compact auto .45er I know.

I do fully agree with you that a night-sight should be attached to a handgun and I'd suggest the installation of "True-Glow" sights.

Best regards from good ol' Germany,

Pless
    "Ein Volk, das keine Waffen trägt, wird Ketten tragen!"
    (A populace not carrying arms will carry chains)

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    I still stand by the shotgun. If you are worried about the swing get a shorter model with pistol grip and 18" barrel. I have also been a hunter for all my life and hunt grouse in very thick cover, way more thick than my house and I use side by side with 26" barrels and have no problem nailing these fast birds, than again I practice a lot. For home defense I prefer a pump 12 ga instead of my 20 ga bird gun.

Personally for a handgun I carry a S&W .357 md# 19 with a 2 1/4 " barrel. Since I carry this almost everywhere I could use it for home defence as I put it in the night stand drawer at night.

The most import thing to owning any home defence weapon is practice,practice and practice.

Also keep in mind a armed society is a polite socilety.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345