Pan-Aryan Nationalist
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybright View Post
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"] What are the best safes and locks for a gun? This part is very important to me with a 5 and a 1 year old.
    Ft. Knox, Liberty and Browning all make very well made fire resistant safes.

For something smaller (like a pistol safe that you want to be fairly handy, but to still keep a child from gaining access to it) then Gun Vault pistol safes that pop open when you enter a code or use a key are very good and there are also Biometric Pistol Safes that open by placing your fingerprint on a scanner built into the safe.

Gun Vault Pistol Safe

What kind of home defense weapons do you prefer? Why? What would you recommend to a novice? Pistol, shotgun or rifle? Pistol grip or shoulder stock? Mossberg or Remington?
    For home defense I usually go with a Remington 1100 home defense semi-auto 12 shotgun (it's faster and there's less recoil which means that your follow up shots are faster) and for a pistol I usually go with a Browning High Power.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 18th, 2010 @ 11:49 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scottish, Prussian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, Prussia, Germany
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Engaged
    Politics
    Radical Center
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What kind of home defense weapons do you prefer? Why? What would you recommend to a novice? Pistol, shotgun or rifle? Pistol grip or shoulder stock? Mossberg or Remington?
    A good shotgun with a short barrel and a shoulder stock should do you fine, unless you don't really care for your property, then get an assault rifle.

What are the best safes and locks for a gun? This part is very important to me with a 5 and a 1 year old.
    put the weapon high up, like above a door or something, figure out how high your child's reach is and put it past that, or at least put a trigger-lock on the weapon and keep the weapon unloaded (with the ammunition somewhere where you can get to it, but the kid wouldn't look.)

Do you prefer something else like a nightstick or baseball bat?
    If you're expecting to meet the intruder in a hallway, don't use a baseball bat, it restricts your movements to vertical strikes only (unless you got a huge hallway.) Use something small like a knife or one of those billy clubs the cops used to use.

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 05:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A good shotgun with a short barrel and a shoulder stock should do you fine, unless you don't really care for your property, then get an assault rifle.
    I think a shotgun with buckshot would have more spray damage. There are low penetration defensive rounds for military style rifles. They have the advantage of being more accurate when used with a red dot. This would be good in a situation where you do not want bystanders to get injured.

Most of the the 223 soft points and hollows points are rated for a foot or less of penetration.
    All you ever wanted to know about 223. Links on the left.
    http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/
    223 ballistic gelatin tests
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/223REM.html

This 7.62x39 Glaser has low penetration.
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=75335
    7.62x39 125 GR. JHP
    https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/prod...83efd25770ff44

A 308 110 grain hollow point is rated for 8-10 inches of penetration, which is less than most handgun service rounds.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...sku=00147308R1
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=74491

High quality 223 ammo.
    http://www.black-hills.com/factoryNewR.htm
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=118191

*Best choices for Self Defense Ammunition*
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

There are a lot of knife laws in the US. For example, there is a 2.5" limit in Chicago and Boston. Billy Clubs and Brass Knuckles are illegal in many areas. Some areas even have restrictions on pepper spray. However, many truckers still have tire thumpers.
    http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/
    http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/

Last Online
    Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 @ 06:18 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Celtic
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student & Homesteader
    Politics
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My favorite home defense weapon is a German Shepherd from a good blood line with the proper training.

Also in most cases home invaders do so in the cover of the dark, if the sound of dog or his teeth do not get rid of the problem something else will.

I also would say a 12 gauge shotgun, the acoustics alone in the dark of some one cocking the gun is enough to get rid of most would be criminals.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    When I carry a gun I carry a S&W model 19 with a 2 inch barrel. For home defense I have a 12ga. shotgun pump.
    I noticed someone said a AK-47 in my opinion a very poor rifle round. The AK was developed to be a cheap gun to be made in mass for 3rd world countries and the red army. The 7.62x39 works good in the short action of the AK type.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 10th, 2011 @ 01:19 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The shotgun. It packs the biggest punch and you can hold it steady with two hands, and are unlikely to miss.

I would have a handgun also as backup. Handguns are short barrelled, high recoil, less powerful and more difficult to aim, so it would have to have a lazer sight.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wodenson View Post
    My favorite home defense weapon is a German Shepherd from a good blood line with the proper training.

Also in most cases home invaders do so in the cover of the dark, if the sound of dog or his teeth do not get rid of the problem something else will.
    Here in my state most home invasions/burglaries are in the daytime when the residents are at work. I agree that German Shepard, Akita or other mid-large well trained dog are excellent. I do not like pitt bulls,rottweilers and doberman pincers becaquse too any are unstable. I have heard that the ones bred in the UK and Germany are more balanced. Unfortunately we do not have the space to give one of these animals the space that they need for mental stability.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

A.K.A. Autobahn
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Gaul, England, Austria, Canada
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In addition to weapons and dogs, I believe self-defense training is of vital importance.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, June 20th, 2011 @ 07:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Subrace
    Don't know
    State
    Alaska Alaska
    Family
    Married with Children
    Occupation
    disaster mitigation
    Politics
    I want my country back now
    Religion
    HFR Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Whatever firearm one selects, I recommend a laser dot to be installed by a gun smith to go with it. Night intrusions are too disorienting to rely on front sights in the dark, especially when the only person in the scenario with their "night eyes" working is the invader. Another good choice is a high-power trigger operated spotlight and pistol combo.

I prefer rounds with low penetration for indoor/close up use. Anything out in the yard will cause me to reach for a long gun and skip the pistols all together. Pistols are of limited use.

If someone is only going to own one firearm, I say let it be a 12-gauge shotgun, with full stock.

Always take it to the range until perfectly familiar with it. It is way easier to miss with a shot gun than folks let on. The shot pattern is usually a little smaller than your hand at home defense conflict range... plenty of room to miss. A lot of people act like you cant miss with a shotgun, but if you add darkness, confusion, fear, and inexperience I can almost promise you a miss every time.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 9th, 2019 @ 12:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    UK, DE
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think there is a single best choice for all persons. I know there are good arguments for the high-capacity, semiautomatic carbine but legalities, social situations and economic considerations may push one toward the shotgun or pistol.

More questions must be asked: how many and which members of the household might be forced to use it? Are there humans living above, below and directly to the side of you past thin walls? Is there a trend of multiple-criminal assaults or intrusions in your area? Are they high and wrapped in armor? How much are you willing to spend, time- and money-wise? Are you willing to pull that trigger on someone?

The following suggestions assume the buyer lives in place where such weapons are legal...

If you prefer a carbine, I recommend AR types and the humble M1 Carbine, with the Ruger Mini-14 as a runner-up. These are reliable and light in weight (and recoil). Exercise caution: there are many inferior AR and M1C copies out there. Naturally, the best examples will be costly.

For shotguns, the 870 by Remington is the most encountered and loved pump-action, but be sure to gloss over the not so glossy, newer Express models and scour the used racks for an 870 Wingmaster or Police model. These have a better build quality and you'll be proud to own one. If you want a semiautomatic, I recommend the Benelli M1 Super 90. It's recoil-operated action is more reliable and less maitenance intensive than most gas-operated shotguns, and the M1s are less expensive and just as effective as the newer Benelli M2s and M4s. If you have the money and would like the absolute best, go for the M3 Convertible. It's the shotgun the SPAS-12 wishes it were.

For handguns, stick to semiautomatics, unless you love revolvers, in which case it's best to pick a Ruger double action, as they are the most durable. For semiautomatics, GLOCK is king when all things are considered, but all HKs, older SIGs, and most Brownings and Berettas, in whatever flavor and size suits you, are acceptable.

In general I think people will be happier and begin their shooting careers on a less stressful and much less expensive note if they stick to the most common calibers (12-gauge, 20-gauge, 5.56mm, 7.62x39, .308, 9mmx19, .45 ACP, .38 Special, .357, .22 LR).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast