Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233

Thread: How Germanic Is the US/Are Americans?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrkvidr View Post
    Well.. one needs to take into account the American. Both of my parents and myself are from Europe and very much European in character. I, therefore, am descended from Europeans and participate in our Germanic culture though I also feel myself to be an American, however newly arrived.
    Aren't you American? Then why are you having England's flag in your profile?
    If you edit your profile, you'll see this:

Country

Please select the country in which you currently reside.

Last Online
    Monday, March 30th, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Norwegian
    Ancestry
    England (N. Yorkshire/Norfolk), Norway (Rogaland), Germany (Niedersachsen)
    Subrace
    Nordid/Trønder
    Country
    England England
    State
    Mercia Mercia
    Married
    Occupation
    Museum worker
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Aren't you American? Then why are you having England's flag in your profile?
    If you edit your profile, you'll see this:
    English born but living in the United States. I read it as country meaning origin and location meaning current.. well.. location. I will certainly change it if anyone is offended

Last Online
    Thursday, December 30th, 2010 @ 03:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    British, Anglo, Viking
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Trainer
    Politics
    conservative, freedom-loving
    Religion
    nominal protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    I am an 11th generation American, but I feel that genetically I am English. I am a dedicated genealogist and historian and have done a great lot of research on my ancestors. The early ones in the 1600's were all English, and they married english spouses. On down to the present time, they were all English marrying English. We had one interloper from Ireland, but that is all. Even my mother was of English ancestry. Once in awhile we will have a strange addition with auburn hair and freckles. That is from the Irish ancestor.
    Where I live the biggest percent of the population is of German descent and a few Irish. But most of them just came over in the 1800's, and have intermarried a lot. That is there way of keeping their farms in the family. Not a bad idea.
    Hey Arundel, I know a fair bit about surnames and family history in England - if you'd like any help or advice please ask. Of course us 'English English' tend to sub-divide ourselves - I for example am almost wholly 'Yorkshire' for at least five generations!

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm curious because I've seen many introductions by American members, and I rarely found a case where their ancestry was fully Germanic. I saw Italian, French, Irish, Polish and other ethnicities into the pile.
    I'm probably one of the most mixed people in the Midwest, and if it wasn't for my 1630's English ancestors, I would be just like the rest of the descendants of predominately 19th century German and Scandinavian settlers.

Is this a case with most Americans, or is it just a coincidence that Skadi gets the most mixed ones?
    I'm sure most people who visit this website are from larger cities (since they have larger population it is only logical to assume), and as you probably know, cities are the first and often last stop for immigrants when they enter your nation.

Also something I have noticed, is that most 'white pride' and 'neo-nazis' tend to be very mixed. (This does not mean all of them are.) Russia has the largest number of neo-nazis, I believe. (Not that Skadi or its all of its members are neo-nazi or white pride, but it seems a decent people who get involved in 'preservation' have at least some background in those things.)

Or is it the case that Americans list every known part of their ancestry, even if it's as small as 1 %, as someone else said?
    A lot of times it's based on family stories and odd assumptions, I'm sure you've heard about how every American likes to claim they have Cherokee and Irish in them. Very rarely can people prove this, or even provide documentation to prove their largest ancestral group.

The 'America is the melting pot' and 'America is a nation of immigrants' mentality has been really driven into the population. (still even now, although the new thing is a 'salad bowl' not a melting pot. ) Basically meaning, the more 'immigrant' nationalities you have, the more superior and 'American' you are.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 1st, 2011 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    Germany (1/4), Norway (1/4), Scotland (1/8), ? (3/8)
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservitive
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is interesting how in the past the U.S. has been pushed as "the great melting pot" when then it was more of a "salad bowl." There were the Germans, Italians, Irish, etc... Of course, there were the homogenized whites but they were isolated with a nativist standing.

Now the U.S. is a melting pot concerning Whites. It does not matter if you have moved from Norway to the U.S.; you fall into the White category.

Considering all the races, the U.S. is more a platter with several different foods on it. There are the Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Muslims, Native Americans, and the Whites. I say platter and not salad because in a salad everything has similarities that tie each piece together; everything is a vegetable: carrots, lettuce, cabbage, all different but vegetables all the same. You could argue that the tie in the U.S. is that we are all humans. However, the tie that is pushed is that we are (mostly) all "Americans"* as if the land itself is our greatest commonality, the platter the food sits on.

Coming back to the thread, how Germanic are Americans really? For the homogenized whites not much, their Germanic heritage is as valuable to them as the ink and paper it is written on. There are those who take pride in their heritage, identify with it, and choose to stand outside the great “‘White’ American Melting Pot.” The U.S. Citizens on this forum are proof of that.

*Saying “America[n(s)]” is irritating to me. It seemingly implies that the entire continent of North America and South America are included in the United States; as if any person who lives in the Americas can come freely and gallivant around the U.S. documented or not. Pet peeve thought I would throw it out there.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233