Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apologizing: A Sign of Weakness?

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drottin View Post
    I often meet people who look down on the ground, no real Viking looks down into the ground. Keep your chin high, be proud.
    Except if there is something interesting
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Saturday, November 20th, 2010 @ 06:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ancestry
    Ireland/Wales/Germany/Norway
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Writer
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I believe that if you have wronged someone and you feel guilt for it then this is your conscience telling you that you have broken your moral code. If you then go to that person, admit that you have wronged them, show remorse and apologise this is strength of character and a show of honour.

While this view is not completely altruistic I believe that Apologies restore our moral balance when we truly know we were wrong. The refusal of an apology in this case would be an affront to the person wronged but also a dishonour to ourselves.
    I gcás na fola agus ithir na hÉireann

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    West Prussia
    Ancestry
    From the roots of the Mountain.
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Occupation
    Student.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Apologizing in todays society, western society anyway, is a wasted gesture. People want to be asked for their forgiveness but they dont want to give it, they will instead scorn the individual saying things like, "if you were really sorry you would not have done it". Repentance does not go down in western society, all they care about is punishment.

An apology was once an emotional exchange, you would offer your shame and regret, and the other person would offer forgiveness. However apologizing has been turned into a sign of weakness it is viewed as allowing people to act as if they have moral high ground over you, and treat you with disdain.
    Life is a well of delight; but where the rabble also drink, there all fountains are poisoned.

Last Online
    Saturday, November 20th, 2010 @ 06:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtic Germanic
    Ancestry
    Ireland/Wales/Germany/Norway
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Writer
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfablot View Post
    Apologizing in todays society, western society anyway, is a wasted gesture. People want to be asked for their forgiveness but they dont want to give it, they will instead scorn the individual saying things like, "if you were really sorry you would not have done it". Repentance does not go down in western society, all they care about is punishment.

An apology was once an emotional exchange, you would offer your shame and regret, and the other person would offer forgiveness. However apologizing has been turned into a sign of weakness it is viewed as allowing people to act as if they have moral high ground over you, and treat you with disdain.
    You do make a good point there Alfablot. I have many examples of the exact circumstance you are speaking of. I look at it in terms of my honour and I don't allow people to hold the moral high ground over me.

I will apologise once and if the person I am apologising to takes this attitude then I see at as irrelevant. I will know that I have done the honourable thing and my conscience is clear. An apology should really be a two way street in that if you make one the person should be honourable enough to accept it. If If the apology is rejected despite its sincerity that is their problem.

If it is a fickle apology then that is a different issue.
    I gcás na fola agus ithir na hÉireann

Last Online
    Friday, May 13th, 2011 @ 01:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Ireland
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Teacher
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    How do you feel about apologizing and what were you taught about it? Are you one who is hesitant to apologize or not? When and when isn't it appropriate to apologize? How do your religious views or experience with relationships and marriage affect your stance on apologizing?
    I believe in apologizing for something I felt was wrong. I can be very stubborn at times, if I feel in my heart that I am right, then I have no need to apologize for sticking to something I believe in. I shouldn't have to apologize for something that I am not sorry for, because then what is the purpose of an apology if you do not mean it, it is not sincere. I do have my moments where I will apologize just to end an argument, but its a very small argument and probably not even worth the trouble

For example, if my husband and I are arguing over something, and I am dead set that I am right, I will not give in... lol because the majority of the time I am right. However, there have been a few times during our relationship and marriage where I have been wrong, and I knew I was. So I then apologized for it, because in my heart I was truly sorry.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 @ 05:19 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Danish, English and Scottish.
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon, Scot and Dane.
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Texas Texas
    Pan-Aryan Nationalist
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like with many things it kind of depends on the situation

It really depends on the situation.

If I'm in the wrong then I'm more than happy to apologize. My ego isn't so big that I automatically think that I'm never in the wrong or that I don't ever make mistakes. The only thing is that I'm sure not going to grovel, EVER.

If I make a mistake out of anger or if I accidentially hurt someone's feelings when I didn't mean to then I'll sincerely say that I'm sorry and I'll apologize. Maybe I'll try and give a short explanation for why I did or said whatever mistake it is that I did wrong and then that's it.

I expect to talk it out with that friend or family member in a calm rational manner and then for the issue to get squashed and for there to be no ill feelings on either side. Otherwise what's the point? I'm sure not going to apologize in a heartfelt manner if I believe that the person is going keep re-hashing everything in an attempt to get me to feel bad.

So IMO that's where the difference lies.

Apologizing if you're clearly in the wrong is honourable IMO just so long as you conduct yourself accordingly. In fact in most cases it would be a dishonourable action on your part NOT TO apologize if you've done someone in your life wrong (that might actually be against your moral code) and you feel bad about it.

Groveling and apologizing over and over again on the other hand is not honourable and is a total sign of weakness though. Some people apologize so much that it seems like they're saying that they're sorry for their very existence.....forget that.

Last Online
    Friday, August 5th, 2011 @ 03:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfablot View Post
    That wouldn't be an apology, but a demand for forgiveness without giving the other person a choice. Apologizing requires strength exactly because people can choose too reject you.

Consider that there are really bad things that people can do to each other. Let's say someone made you a cripple because he was driving drunk. Are you really obliged to accept an apology no matter what as long as it's honest?

Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 10:04 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotland; Germany
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    Married
    Occupation
    Writer, international
    Politics
    Hard right wing
    Religion
    Christianity is corrupt, Baptist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never Trust the Submissive Who Grovels Out Apologies to Black Supremacists

While a few of us are working to save and extend our civil rights, white cowards are groveling and apologizing to black racists.
    Such people cannot be trusted.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I very much approve of apologies, and I'm not afraid to make it known when one is needed.

For example, an apology is always in order when someone thinks I'm wrong about something.

Last Online
    Monday, May 14th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hordaland Hordaland
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Religion
    Religion of the blood
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If I have done wrong to someone or realized that I was mistaken, I see no problem with apologizing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast