Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Council Disregard Objections of 3,000 Residents to Traveller Site As They Are Racist

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts

Thumbs Down Council Disregard Objections of 3,000 Residents to Traveller Site As They Are Racist

When residents were asked to provide feedback on council plans to build traveller camps on their doorstep they dutifully responded.

More than 3,000 homeowners filled in forms outlining their views, many raising concerns over a possible increase in noise, traffic, rubbish and a detrimental effect on property prices.

However, such objections were not appreciated by Mid-Bedfordshire District Council, which partially or fully rejected nearly nine in ten of the replies for including comments 'of a racist nature'.

Weeks after asking for residents' views earlier this year, the council posted an article on its website entitled 'Racist Comments Not Welcome'.

It claimed the council's 'duty of community leadership' meant it had to crack down on the use of racial stereotypes, and revealed that while 400 responses would be considered, 3,100 were in some way racist and would be rejected.

The council even sent letters to objectors telling them their views had been deemed offensive and would not be taken account of.

Retired company secretary Lucy Clarke from Stotfold - one of the six small towns and villages mooted as sites for the 25 traveller families - was astounded to receive her letter.

Mrs Clarke, a grandmother of three, said: 'As far as I am aware I objected to the camp for entirely reasonable grounds. And yet I then get this letter from the council.

'They even accused me of incitement to racial hatred. It's ridiculous - like putting me on a par with Abu Hamza.'

She added: 'I am not racist, but I am concerned about what one of these camps could do to our town.'

Even the local town council could not avoid falling foul of the censors.

Brian Collier, chairman of Stotfold council said: 'We wrote a detailed response in which we summarised locals' concerns.

'There is another gipsy site not far from here that has a well-known crime problem.

'As part of our response we echoed people's worries that the same may happen here.

'We were totally shocked when we then received a letter from the district council saying that was racist. There are lots of people here who have had the same treatment.'

The district council's attitude has been criticised by local campaigners, politicians and civil liberties groups.

Tory communities spokesman Eric Pickles said yesterday: 'I hope that they write a letter of apology to everyone they have accused of being racist. Otherwise, people simply aren't going to feel able to object to these camps without the fear of being branded racist.'

When contacted by the Daily Mail, a spokesman for Mid-Bedfordshire council admitted that it had been 'somewhat overzealous'.

He said: 'We were worried that many of the letters contained racist slurs and objectionable comments that we felt could not be published under current race relations legislation.

'We had no intention of offending those who took the time to respond to the consultation and certainly were not trying to label residents as racist.

'Only a small proportion (around 5 per cent) of the comments were actually discounted in their entirety. The remainder were taken into consideration, either in whole or in part.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-racist.html

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brnn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    However, such objections were not appreciated by Mid-Bedfordshire District Council, which partially or fully rejected nearly nine in ten of the replies for including comments 'of a racist nature'.
    To play the Devil's advocate, you do have to wonder what they wrote exactly.

The amazing thing about racists, is that they are unaware often times that they are actually being racist.
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Oh please, enough political correctness.

Oh, by the way:

It is not racist to state that gypsy camps frequently cause an increase in crime and mess - it is a statement of fact

Gypsies and crime go hand in hand.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brnn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Source: The Daily Mail.

Excuse me foreigner, but when it comes to my country and things which concern my country, you have a limited perception at best.

Out of yourself or I, who do you think understands the psyche of an irate English person composing a letter?

Last Online
    Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 @ 03:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch/German
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The English have always hated Gypsies, and even expelled them from the country on pain of death once upon a time.

I really don't see the relevance of whether their reasons for not wanting to live near Gypsies were racial or not. In a democracy, the government doesn't dictate to the people. If the people doesn't want something, then they have spoken and analysis of their intentions is entirely unneeded.

I imagine the content of most of those letters followed the argument that no one wants their property to be devalued, or to have their children molested or be exposed to a greater number of hideously unattractive people than is absolutely necessary, and of course, their argument would be sound.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brnn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimWheat View Post
    The English have always hated Gypsies, and even expelled them from the country on pain of death once upon a time.
    Not exactly correct. The English Middle-class has always hated the Gypsies.

I imagine the content of most of those letters followed the argument that no one wants their property to be devalued...
    Speculation. One which the Daily Mail will no doubt stir.

From my time served working with my local council, I can assure you that private letters and forms from constituents are very racy in more ways than one.

Most authors are very selective and overly dramatic with their factual opinions, one which has to be witnessed to be believed.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch/German
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    Not exactly correct. The English Middle-class has always hated the Gypsies.
    I know many working class English people who hate Gypsies and consider them to be human filth. What the 16th century English lower classes thought of Gypsies I can't say, but the fact remains that Gypsies were expelled from the realm, presumably because they were disliked.

Speculation. One which the Daily Mail will no doubt stir.

From my time served working with my local council, I can assure you that private letters and forms from constituents are very racy in more ways than one.

Most authors are very selective and overly dramatic with their factual opinions, one which has to be witnessed to be believed.
    Not really relevant. If the majority of a population -- and 3000 may or may not be the majority in this case -- desire for something to be done, then in a democracy, no matter if the people express themselves by dressing up as chickens, wearing Chuck Norris masks and break dancing, the council must concede to their will.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brnn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I know many working class English people who hate Gypsies and consider them to be human filth.
    Every common rule has one to buck it.

What the 16th century English lower classes thought of Gypsies I can't say, but the fact remains that Gypsies were expelled from the realm, presumably because they were disliked.
    That's the English for you.

If it's not the Gypsies then it's the Jews, if it's not the Jews then it was the Flemish, if it weren't the Flemish then it was the Irish...etc, etc..,You get the point.

Not really relevant. If the majority of a population -- and 3000 may or may not be the majority in this case -- desire for something to be done, then in a democracy, no matter if the people express themselves by dressing up as chickens, wearing Chuck Norris masks and break dancing, the council must concede to their will.

Very relevant, actually.

Don't let the words and discomfort of the supposed majority fool you into thinking the course of action demanded is the correct avenue to proceed down.
    As your example clearly demonstrated; often times the majority will demand the absolute absurd, devoid of any real intelligence and common sense.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Dutch/German
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Single adult
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    Every common rule has one to buck it.
    Yes, I get that you love Gypsies. But your point was that English people share your love, which, in general, they don't.

it's not the Gypsies then it's the Jews, if it's not the Jews then it was the Flemish, if it weren't the Flemish then it was the Irish...etc, etc..,You get the point.
    Sadly, they don't act on their natural contempt for lesser peoples.

Very relevant, actually.

Don't let the words and discomfort of the supposed majority fool you into thinking the course of action demanded is the correct avenue to proceed down.
    Not at all relevant, actually. The 'correct' avenue is whatever a person or group of persons deem to be correct. A second person or group of persons may disagree and formulate their own approach to the 'correct' avenue, but this will have little to no persuasive power over the first group. In a democracy, the 'correct avenue' is defined as the will of the majority. If members of the government dislike the principles of democracy, they are free to resign from their democratically elected posts or positions to which they were appointed within a democratic system.

As your example clearly demonstrated; often times the majority will demand the absolute absurd, devoid of any real intelligence and common sense.
    Then the government should announce that it despises the underpinning philosophy of democracy and renounce its rule of the land or declare authoritarian leadership.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brnn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yes, I get that you love Gypsies.
    Where did you get that idea?

But your point was that English people share your love, which, in general, they don't.
    I never said that. I said the middle classes hate the Gypsies the most and the English on a whole do not bother themselves about them.

Sadly, they don't act on their natural contempt for lesser peoples.
    Which is a good thing as the state the Germanic people are in, I dare say we would be plucked and ready for the ovens.

Not at all relevant, actually. .
    Your opinion. I believe it to be very relevant. Experience has taught me that.

In a democracy, the 'correct avenue' is defined as the will of the majority. If members of the government dislike the principles of democracy, they are free to resign from their democratically elected posts or positions to which they were appointed within a democratic system.
    They could, but that would be fruitless and counter-productive to local council business.

Then the government should announce that it despises the underpinning philosophy of democracy and capitulate its rule of the land or declare authoritarian rule.
    Yes, it should.

We will then be rid of inanely trivial matters concerning the middle classes and the prices of their homes and other unfounded and sensational nonsense.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast