Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Donations to Skadi: Questions, Concerns, Etc.

Senior Administrator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Yes, the "anti-war" stuff was a pretext due to some security reasons, but since it got people confused, we removed it. The money donated by users will only end up in Skadi hands and will be used exclusively for forum-related hosting and management.

P.S. Since 2010 is over we compiled the statistics for donations received in the last 2 years. On average, Skadi receives about 800 USD/year in the form of donations. This helps cover a little less than a quarter of the server costs. So every contribution counts, no matter whether it's 10 or 100 USD, no matter if it's recurring or a one-time donation. Thanks once again to those who financially support us.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Freethinker
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 05:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Married
    Politics
    Reason, Freedom, Justice
    Religion
    Truth, Greatness, Beauty
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Donations Accepted Again (PayPal, Cash, CC, Bitcoin)

Donations to contribute to server and bandwidth charges are accepted again from now on.

You can donate by PayPal, credit card, in cash or by bitcoin. As a thanks, we will add some additional features to your Skadi Forum account:

https://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=28234

Please also note that we will move to another server tomorrow, Monday, April 4th.

https://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=151805
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

Senior Administrator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    A small reminder when it comes to donations: those who make a donation with an e-mail address that differs from the one used on Skadi are encouraged to either make a note with their username, or send us a message via the "contact us" form (or contact an administrator) with the transaction ID after they've completed their donation. This is necessary to link the donation and funding member privileges with your forum account.

Any and all contributions to help us cover the server costs is appreciated. Currently, our monthly costs for the hosting amount to cca. 150 USD.

Thank you.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British/German/French
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    National Folk Faith ;)
    Politics
    Ethno-Nationalist
    Religion
    Pagan/Christian/UU
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I sent in $100US on Jan 21, 2020. I originally sent in 10, and then 25 as documented below ... so in total I've given 135 US during my time on Skadi. I give 360 a year to Stormfront, and a lot to other organizations. I try to do my part. Unlike Stormront, you don't seem to have a way of further recognizing one's donations; except, I notice certain people have the 5 circles beneath their username colored differently. Is it the case that the more you give, the more your circles get colored?

January 21, 2020
    DreamHost, LLC
    $100.00 USD
    Payment

Paid with$1.27 PayPal Balance$134.18 MasterCard Credit Card x-XXXX
    You'll see "PAYPAL *DREAMHOST" on your card statement.Exchange rate$135.45 CAD = $100.00 USD1 CAD = 0.7383 USD
    Category:Online services
    Transaction ID7PW24566W2939542M

Seller infoDreamHost, LLC
    support@dreamhost.com

Web Hosting Donation
    $100.00 USD
    Item #donation_17814

Total
    $100.00 USD

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:08 PM Skadi Forum <forums@skadi.net> wrote:
    Hi there, and thank you for your donation! Unfortunately, this e-mail address does not match any users in our system. Would you thus be so kind as to let us know your username, so that we can ascribe the donation correctly?

Kind regards,
    Skadi Staff

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 6:13 PM <xxx> wrote:
    There was a fee of $1.55 taken out, but the remaining $23.45 was
    applied to your account (#399928)!

This was for your "Skadi Forum" site.

Now you could email them a thank-you or something!

Super!
    --
    billing@dreamhost.com
    The Happy DreamHost Donations Team
    "We Host Your Dreams"
    We need a reservation system for our people and our own ethnic-nationalist faith, where we'll have sermons about our people and nations, real history, science, philosophy, etc., in addition to our older religions. Throw in some open bar nights, comedy club hours, music and dance, etc., and it'll be a cracker barrel of good times lol.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Smithwick For This Useful Post:

Secure a future for Germanic children
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts
    When you donate to Skadi, your username becomes red and you have the usertitle which acknowledged you as "Friend of Germanics/Skadi Funding Member", along with some benefits which normal members don't have (invisible mode, animated avatars, custom usertitle, negative reputation, larger postbox, etc). I don't know if the circles are related to the amount of the donation but I wouldn't think so. The donation thread explains that Skadi isn't a capitalist enterprise and the amount which every person donates isn't made public:

Skadi is not a capitalist enterprise and we want to acknowledge everyone who was willing to show at least some support. We do this, because we are proud of you that you cared enough to do a few mouse clicks or to walk to the post office.

Nobody will ever know if you sent USD 10.00 or USD 100.00. Whether you donated only once or whether you make regular donations. There are wealthy people and there are not-so-wealthy people and we'd like to thank them all.
    https://forums.skadi.net/threads/282...ing-Membership!

It sort of makes sense because people have different incomes and hence different possibilities.

P.S. I'm not sure it's a good idea to post your transaction details publicly, someone could use abuse details?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bärin For This Useful Post:

Freethinker
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 05:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Married
    Politics
    Reason, Freedom, Justice
    Religion
    Truth, Greatness, Beauty
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Smithwick View Post
    I sent in $100US on Jan 21, 2020. I originally sent in 10, and then 25 as documented below ... so in total I've given 135 US during my time on Skadi. I give 360 a year to Stormfront, and a lot to other organizations. I try to do my part. Unlike Stormront, you don't seem to have a way of further recognizing one's donations; except, I notice certain people have the 5 circles beneath their username colored differently. Is it the case that the more you give, the more your circles get colored?
    Thank you, Sir. Much appreciated.

There are benefits for Funding Members. You can read about them here:

https://forums.skadi.net/threads/282...ing-Membership!

But I think I know what you mean. Currently, everyone who has donated $5.00 or more once in his life, keeps the Funding Member title and privileges forever. We simply wanted to acknowledge members who support us.

This has meanwhile lead to the rather strange situation, though, that there are tons of members with funding titles, but almost all haven't contributed anything in the last year or two (or much longer). Some have made a small one-time donation five, ten or more than 15 years ago. In the last years, we have paid 85 - 90 % of the server costs ourselves, and it's actually getting a bit expensive with time.

Due to the many members with active funding titles, new members might also abstain from giving donations, thinking erroneously there are tons of people contributing already.

We should probably change the criteria and give the funding title and privileges to everyone who has donated $5 or $10 at least once in the last year. And maybe have a Senior Funding Member title for people who donate $100 or more per year?

What would your suggestion be? How is Stormfront doing it?
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Thorburn For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    We should probably change the criteria and give the funding title and privileges to everyone who has donated $5 or $10 at least once in the last year. And maybe have a Senior Funding Member title for people who donate $100 or more per year?
    Sounds good IMO. Or maybe differentiate between active and inactive funding members, the first who get all the funding member benefits and the latter who only keep their funding member and friend of Germanics title, for example. Maybe give them different color usernames as well?

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Senior Administrator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Thank you for your donation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smithwick View Post
    Unlike Stormront, you don't seem to have a way of further recognizing one's donations; except, I notice certain people have the 5 circles beneath their username colored differently. Is it the case that the more you give, the more your circles get colored?
    Those spheres are indicators of user rank. All funding members are represented through a red sphere, regardless of the amount they donated. The brown spheres on the other hand are indicators of post count. See here for details.

We don't currently reveal the amount of each individual's donations to the public. There are pros and cons when it comes to this. Among the cons I could envision people feeling discouraged to contribute one-time, smaller donations because they felt they couldn't match others or didn't want to be the bottom of the list. Since we neither wish to discourage such contributions nor do we judge people according to the size of their wallets, we've so far left it up to each individual user whether they wished to divulge the amount of their donation. On the other hand, publishing the total of our monthly revenues from donations (e.g. in the form of a donation bar, like Apricity does, for example) is something we'd like to arrange in future, as it would offer some transparency and give members an idea how far along we are in covering our hosting bills. This might include a list of monthly donors and perhaps we can come up with a way to allow funding members the option to share their donation once it has been completed (if they so wish to).

Skadi used to bestow awards on its top financial contributors at some point in the past, something that we might be able to re-introduce in future if we find a compatible, functioning award modification (and should there be enough demand, of course). Another idea would be to differentiate between current and former donors, like Nachtengel suggested, either through different colors or by making the active ones bold. Ideally, we'd still like to acknowledge everyone who has ever donated in some form, although our funding policy might have to be updated sometime in future for the reasons Thorburn mentioned.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Germanique extraordinaire
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    It would be nice to see some sort of confirmation from Skadi that the donation went through. Either through some automated process by PM, or some other means. Seeing as the money goes through two different parties (in my case: PayPal and DreamHost) before hopefully reaching its goal, it kind of gives the feeling of just throwing the money in the right direction, but not really knowing what happened to it. If it actually landed where you wanted it to.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Angelfolc
    Ancestry
    Angles, Frisians, Saxons
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Y-DNA
    Y
    mtDNA
    X
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Hannover Hannover
    Yorkist
    Occupation
    Once More Unto the Breach
    Politics
    Welf
    Religion
    ex-U.C. of England & Ireland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    I just paid $10.00 with my tax refund. I would pay more if my wife agreed, but didn't even discuss this here. As my friend told me: "It's easier to beg forgiveness than permission" and I've done that all too often enough. :/

(EDIT: She was fine with it, but I didn't push my luck about more, just pointed out her donations without asking me in the past.)

I accidentally forgot to instruct DreamHost to credit the account number at first, so contacted the billing department and made sure that they are to do just that. Could someone please confirm that it's been received? I requested that DH confirm, but haven't had any reply yet.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast