Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Donations to Skadi: Questions, Concerns, Etc.

Senior Administrator
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Thank you for your donation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smithwick View Post
    Unlike Stormront, you don't seem to have a way of further recognizing one's donations; except, I notice certain people have the 5 circles beneath their username colored differently. Is it the case that the more you give, the more your circles get colored?
    Those spheres are indicators of user rank. All funding members are represented through a red sphere, regardless of the amount they donated. The brown spheres on the other hand are indicators of post count. See here for details.

We don't currently reveal the amount of each individual's donations to the public. There are pros and cons when it comes to this. Among the cons I could envision people feeling discouraged to contribute one-time, smaller donations because they felt they couldn't match others or didn't want to be the bottom of the list. Since we neither wish to discourage such contributions nor do we judge people according to the size of their wallets, we've so far left it up to each individual user whether they wished to divulge the amount of their donation. On the other hand, publishing the total of our monthly revenues from donations (e.g. in the form of a donation bar, like Apricity does, for example) is something we'd like to arrange in future, as it would offer some transparency and give members an idea how far along we are in covering our hosting bills. This might include a list of monthly donors and perhaps we can come up with a way to allow funding members the option to share their donation once it has been completed (if they so wish to).

Skadi used to bestow awards on its top financial contributors at some point in the past, something that we might be able to re-introduce in future if we find a compatible, functioning award modification (and should there be enough demand, of course). Another idea would be to differentiate between current and former donors, like Nachtengel suggested, either through different colors or by making the active ones bold. Ideally, we'd still like to acknowledge everyone who has ever donated in some form, although our funding policy might have to be updated sometime in future for the reasons Thorburn mentioned.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Retarded in mysterious ways
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 09:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    977 Posts
    It would be nice to see some sort of confirmation from Skadi that the donation went through. Either through some automated process by PM, or some other means. Seeing as the money goes through two different parties (in my case: PayPal and DreamHost) before hopefully reaching its goal, it kind of gives the feeling of just throwing the money in the right direction, but not really knowing what happened to it. If it actually landed where you wanted it to.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Roslagen til Danelagen
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vķnsk
    Ancestry
    Engelsk (Autosomal), Uppland (Y-DNA) och Dalarna (mtDNA)
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Vķking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    I just paid $10.00 with my tax refund. I would pay more if my wife agreed, but didn't even discuss this here. As my friend told me: "It's easier to beg forgiveness than permission" and I've done that all too often enough. :/

(EDIT: She was fine with it, but I didn't push my luck about more, just pointed out her donations without asking me in the past.)

I accidentally forgot to instruct DreamHost to credit the account number at first, so contacted the billing department and made sure that they are to do just that. Could someone please confirm that it's been received? I requested that DH confirm, but haven't had any reply yet.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British/German/French
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    National Folk Faith ;)
    Politics
    Ethno-Nationalist
    Religion
    Pagan/Christian/UU
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    What would your suggestion be? How is Stormfront doing it?
    With Stormfront, it's $5/month to receive the "Friend of Stormfront, Sustaining Member" title. Alternatively, by providing $30/month, you receive the "SF Core Support Group" title and the same "Friend of Stormfront, Sustaining Member" title. You only get the titles for the number of months you've donated. Once you reach $1000 in donations (total), you're rewarded with the "Lifetime" title (which has no expiration), and you'll also always have the "Friend of Stormfront, Sustaining Member" title this way. I have all the titles going for now (I'm over $2000 in total donations). At one point, one of the more wealthy/generous donors was suggesting they have a further way of distinguishing donation levels i.e. your titles change color from red, to bronze, to silver, gold, and then platinum once you reach a certain amount. Don didn't go that far, even though it would be fair, as someone who's recently surpassed the $1000 mark and continues to give $30 per month, has all the same titles as someone who's been donating $1000/month for years. Regardless of all this, donors have dropped off and Don uses is old age social security pension to pay for the majority of the board's monthly costs, which I believe are close to 2-3 grand per month. He also has a radio show which costs him a further 2-3 grand per month - he's stated the radio brings in more than the board.

Thank you for your board. You have more freedom of expression here in certain ways, and a different feel to the place which is nice.
    We need a reservation system for our people and our own ethnic-nationalist faith, where we'll have sermons about our people and nations, real history, science, philosophy, etc., in addition to our older religions. Throw in some open bar nights, comedy club hours, music and dance, etc., and it'll be a cracker barrel of good times lol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Smithwick For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Norman & German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Žoreišar View Post
    It would be nice to see some sort of confirmation from Skadi that the donation went through. Either through some automated process by PM, or some other means. Seeing as the money goes through two different parties (in my case: PayPal and DreamHost) before hopefully reaching its goal, it kind of gives the feeling of just throwing the money in the right direction, but not really knowing what happened to it. If it actually landed where you wanted it to.
    When I donated via PayPal, I received an e-mail confirmation. PayPal also sent an automatic receipt for the donation, IIRC. I have had the impression the process is not automated through Skadi though, I suppose because the donations take place off site. There were a few hours between the time I donated and the time my account became red.

I'll try to donate again next month.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Norman Pride For This Useful Post:

Retarded in mysterious ways
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 09:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pride View Post
    When I donated via PayPal, I received an e-mail confirmation. PayPal also sent an automatic receipt for the donation, IIRC. I have had the impression the process is not automated through Skadi though, I suppose because the donations take place off site. There were a few hours between the time I donated and the time my account became red.
    Yeah, I got those confirmations from the third parties as well. I guess I just have difficulties trusting them 100%, especially when donating to a place like Skadi, in these times where nationalists are being banned from all sorts of online platforms and payment services. Just a short notice that the payment actually went through, from Skadi itself, would be reassuring.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Žoreišar For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, April 17th, 2021 @ 11:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Yeah, I got those confirmations from the third parties as well. I guess I just have difficulties trusting them 100%, especially when donating to a place like Skadi, in these times where nationalists are being banned from all sorts of online platforms and payment services.
    Actually, nationalists are less likely to be banned from a payment service if they donate through a 3rd party (like Dreamhost) than if they did through a forum like Skadi directly, since Dreamhost is a large hosting provider and apolitical. Also a big corporation like Dreamhost brings in much more profit to payment services than smaller platforms which they can afford to ban because they don't want to be associated with or because leftists complain about. For example PayPal banned RedIce and associated accounts (even the owners' personal accounts). If Skadi accepted donations through its own PayPal account it could risk to be banned much sooner than a big company like Dreamhost.

Another advantage of donating to Dreamhost's account is that it's more anonymous. Skadi's name doesn't appear anywhere on the credit card statement, what appears instead is "PAYPAL *DREAMHOST". Probably PayPal itself doesn't know which Dreamhost account the donations go to either. If you want to be safer though, you can donate with a different email address, which doesn't appear on Skadi, or change the Skadi address to a different email from the one you use to donate. Aeternitas wrote that if you use a different email address to donate it's necessary to add a note with your username or contact the admins with the transaction ID so that they know who it is and can link the donation with the Skadi account. That way there's no direct link between the donation and your Skadi account, but you can still enjoy the funding privileges and everything. Personally I prefer this kind of system, especially considering in Germany people were sentenced for "funding a hate organization" because they donated to sites like Thiazi.

For this reason I also find it a bad idea to publish a list of the donors and how much each donated and when. When the authorities shut Thiazi down they also got their hands on the list of donors and their names. Maybe Americans don't mind it, although lately tech corporations proved that your 1st Amendment means nothing as long as they hide behind the "muh private organization, muh rules" principle. In America as well, more and more nationalists are prosecuted and labeled as terrorists. So in this age I wouldn't go around volunteering personal information so lightly. Orgs like the CIA and NSA already have all your Facebook info on a silver platter, so why should they be given more?

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Roslagen til Danelagen
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Vķnsk
    Ancestry
    Engelsk (Autosomal), Uppland (Y-DNA) och Dalarna (mtDNA)
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2A5A1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Väring och Vķking
    Politics
    Munsöätten
    Religion
    Forn Sed
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    Hello,

Thanks for writing into DreamHost Technical Support!

I'm sorry for the delay in responding back to you, as we've been
    experiencing a much higher volume of support requests than usual.

I can confirm that your payment of $10.00 was posted to account #399928
    the same day you wrote in to us last week Friday. I hope this information
    helps and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Kindest regards,
    Truman
    Billing Manager
    DreamHost, LLC

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, you wrote:

> Included PayPal email:
    >
    > Hello, I just sent you $10.00 USD and failed to instruct that account
    > #399928 is the destination. Please confirm if you received it and
    > will credit account #399928. Thank you.
    There's the update, finally. So yes, I'm a Funding Member, with all the "privileges" and "perks" associated, or so one would think, anyway...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodskarl Dubhgall For This Useful Post:

Freethinker
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 13th, 2020 @ 04:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Married
    Politics
    Reason, Freedom, Justice
    Religion
    Truth, Greatness, Beauty
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    There's the update, finally. So yes, I'm a Funding Member, with all the "privileges" and "perks" associated, or so one would think, anyway...
    Thanks, Rodskarl, much appreciated. As to your wife ... my, my. Who would have thought that feminism has succeeded to make its inroads even into your marriage?

Yeah, I got those confirmations from the third parties as well. I guess I just have difficulties trusting them 100%, especially when donating to a place like Skadi, in these times where nationalists are being banned from all sorts of online platforms and payment services. Just a short notice that the payment actually went through, from Skadi itself, would be reassuring.
    No, we definitely get everything sent there, 100 percent (minus some fee). It's actually a guarantee for donors that their donations are really used for hosting (and not for private purchases on the Dark Web).

Dreamhost credits the amount and then informs us; this happens automatically. Thereafter you get usually a (manual) confirmation message from us, that we received the amount. But if you don't trust the proceedings, you can always donate in Bitcoin or in cash in future. Thanks for your contribution, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pride View Post

I'll try to donate again next month.
    Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, we have to promote the accounts manually, because we don't use the integrated PayPal system. We would have to do it that way for Bitcoin and cash donations anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smithwick View Post
    With Stormfront, it's $5/month to receive the "Friend of Stormfront, Sustaining Member" title. Alternatively, by providing $30/month, you receive the "SF Core Support Group" title and the same "Friend of Stormfront, Sustaining Member" title. You only get the titles for the number of months you've donated. Once you reach $1000 in donations (total), you're rewarded with the "Lifetime" title (which has no expiration), and you'll also always have the "Friend of Stormfront, Sustaining Member" title this way. I have all the titles going for now (I'm over $2000 in total donations). At one point, one of the more wealthy/generous donors was suggesting they have a further way of distinguishing donation levels i.e. your titles change color from red, to bronze, to silver, gold, and then platinum once you reach a certain amount. Don didn't go that far, even though it would be fair, as someone who's recently surpassed the $1000 mark and continues to give $30 per month, has all the same titles as someone who's been donating $1000/month for years. Regardless of all this, donors have dropped off and Don uses is old age social security pension to pay for the majority of the board's monthly costs, which I believe are close to 2-3 grand per month. He also has a radio show which costs him a further 2-3 grand per month - he's stated the radio brings in more than the board.

Thank you for your board. You have more freedom of expression here in certain ways, and a different feel to the place which is nice.
    Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for laying it out.

We have considered your and other members's feedback, and are now offering the active "'Friend of Germanics', Skadi Funding Member" title in red for everyone who contributes at least $10.00 in the current year. That's a low threshhold for everyone who wants to help and get the additional features.

The title of someone who hasn't contributed in the last one or two years at all (one year if it was $10.00, two years if it was more) will eventually become inactive and grey. So far we didn't remove any features yet for people whose membership is inactive. Should we? Should we not? Maybe one could disable the invisible mode? Not sure.

I am also not feeling too comfortable with trying "to exert subtle pressure," so that people feel more inclined to press the donation button. People shouldn't get the impression that they "have to" donate or that they aren't as welcome if they can't give money at the moment. The contribution of many members in terms of making well-researched posts or helping out on staff is as valuable to us. I suppose it would be easier for everyone if we got the control over our national banks back.

We are now also listening the three top donors from the last and current year to acknowledge those who have supported us far beyond the average donor in recent times.

We would maybe like to acknowledge total contributions as well, but we do not even have the records anymore since the beginning in 2002 (we are missing nearly a decade), thus some people might feel left out or unfairly treated if we did that.

Thanks for your valuable support. We hope to see you around more often.
    This is a placeholder for a signature.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thorburn For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    United Kingdom, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Germany, France
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Zodiac Sign
    Aries
    Politics
    Pro-Trump, Nationalist
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    I donated $10 a few minutes ago through paypal (debit). Receipt # 9X458656EH219510R.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast