Monday, February 20th, 2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sybren, you might find this passage interesting:

For the Frisians [the Anglo-Saxon invasions of England] meant two things. First, since the Angles and Saxons could hardly avoid going through Frisian territory to get to Britain, the Frisians were undoubtedly affected by the great migration. Some scholars have gone so far as to claim that the Frisians where in fact totally absorbed by the invaders, and that the later Frisians represent an amalgam of Angles, Saxons, and earlier Frisians. This claim is probably wildly exaggerated, but it seems beyond doubt that some intermixture occurred at this time, with some Angles and Saxons remaining behind on the mainland, and some Frisians participating in the settlement of England. Second, the departure of the Angles and Saxons left the coastal areas east of the Frisians at least partially empty, and the Frisians had a little room to expand. And expand they apparently did, during the fifth and sixth centuries. By the end of that time, the Frisians appear to have occupied the coastal area all the way to the mouth of the Weser.

(Source)
    Earlier in this thread I stated I was predominantly Saxon. I should mention that many of my ancestors were in all probability Saxonised Frisians, since my province used to be Frisian until the end of the Middle Ages. Yet if the passage is correct, an influx of Saxon blood had happened much earlier. Still, there is no point in guessing as to the extent, and the line between Frisians and Saxons was unclear of old. The overwhelming majority of my direct ancestors were Saxons.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 12th, 2011 @ 02:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    New Zealander
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I should think I'm largely Saxon. I have ancestry from both Southern England and Lower Saxony, both pretty Saxon parts of the world don't you think?
    Nonetheless, Scotland still predominates in me. Does anyone know a lot about the ethnic history of the lowlands of Scotland? I know there is a lot of Anglo-Saxon influence, but I couldn't say whether that was predominantly Anglo or Saxon. I would love a little clearing up on that point!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345