Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 08:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Urglaawe in Google brings up this Skadi Thread on the first page.

Last Online
    Monday, February 13th, 2012 @ 04:15 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Ancestry
    Deitsch
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Married
    Occupation
    Professor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Urglaawe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    By all means, please do. I'd be interested in anything you have to offer.

How are the Urglaawer going about with their study of Braucherei and Hexerei and drawing out the pre-Christian aspects? Could you give any examples of things with pre-Christian Germanic influences in this tradition? Do other scholars of the PA Dutch support the Urglaawe movement or do they frown upon it?

I'm sure I'll think of something else to ask.

How did you find Skadi Forum, by the way? I see you're involved somehow with the creators of the website that I was quoting from. Next thing I know, we have an Urglaawer here!
    Sorry for the delay in responding...

We are learning much from Braucherei traditions. For example, the upcoming Groundhog Day observance includes quite a few heathen elements in Braucherei that have become part of Urglaawe practices.

Most folks know that this observance came from the Pennsylvania Germans, but most think it is sort of a silly event consisting of some poor rodent being tortured out of its box in Punxsutawney. It is actually much more than that.

The complexity of groundhog burrows, which are long and have multiple access holes, led our ancestors to consider the groundhog to represent the otherworld traveler, returning on this day with news from the other worlds (hence the weather prognostication). It is also the day when the traveling land spirits first begin to return from the Wild Hunt to prepare the soil for planting in the months ahead.

The Butzemann (translated as "scarecrow" but actually more significant that the translation implies) is created out of last year's crop remnants and is presented in a corn ceremony to the perimeter of the field or garden. This is the "father" of this year's crop.

Also, by Groundhog Day, we are to have cleaned (and cleansed) our homes (hence the tradition of spring cleaning) of last years holdovers to make room for this year's bounty. The fire in the hearth is to be allowed to burn out and the fireplace is to be cleaned out. A new fire is then started with birch wood.

Honored deities are Frigg, Ing (Frey), Dunner (Thor).

How did you find Skadi Forum, by the way? I see you're involved somehow with the creators of the website that I was quoting from. Next thing I know, we have an Urglaawer here!
    I occasionally will Google "Urglaawe" to see whether there is any input needed.

The website you refer to, www.urglaawe.org, needs to be redone, but time and talent have been a challenge. lol

Rob
    Geddermann, Die Urglaawisch Sippschaft vum Distelfink
    and
    Organizer, Asatru and Urglaawe Meetup of Eastern Pennsylvania and NJ

Anyone know where Hexenkopf is located within Northampton?
    Hexenkopf is on private land in Williams Township. The owners are open-minded folks who allow access to the site.

Rob

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urglaawer View Post
    The Butzemann (translated as "scarecrow" but actually more significant that the translation implies) is created out of last year's crop remnants and is presented in a corn ceremony to the perimeter of the field or garden. This is the "father" of this year's crop.
    Es tanzt ein Bi-Ba-Butzemann
    in unserm Haus herum, didel-dum,
    es tanzt ein Biba Butzemann
    in unserm Haus herum.

1. |: Er rüttelt sich, er schüttelt sich, er wirft ein Säckchen hinter sich. :|

Es tanzt ein Bi-Ba-Butzemann
    in unserm Haus herum, didel-dum,
    es tanzt ein Biba Butzemann
    in unserm Haus herum.

2. |: Er wirft sein Säcklein her und hin,
    Was ist wohl in dem Säcklein drin? :|

3. |: Er bringt zur Nacht dem guten Kind
    Die Äpfel, die im Säcklein sind. :|

4. : Er wirft sein Säcklein hin und her,
    Am Morgen ist es wieder leer. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Urglaawer View Post
    Honored deities are Frigg, Ing (Frey), Dunner (Thor).
    I have thought for a while now that we should call him Donner/Thunder. Very interesting.

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauke Haien View Post
    I have thought for a while now that we should call him Donner/Thunder. Very interesting.
    Why exactly do you say that? I'm curious.

Here is the German wikipedia article for Butzemann, which points out his strong appearance in South Germany and Switzerland, PA Deitsch ancestral homeland:

Der Butzemann oder auch Butz (sowie auch Bütze, butze, Putz, boz, buz, Butzenmann, Busemand, Buhmann, Boesman oder Böög genannt) ist eine gespensterhafte, kobold- oder zwergenartige Oger-Figur, die vorwiegend aus dem süddeutschen und schweizerischen Raum bekannt ist und dort stark gefürchtet wurde. In neuerer Zeit taucht diese Figur jedoch hauptsächlich als Kinderschreckfigur auf, wenn dies auch nicht ihr ursprünglicher Charakter war.

Sprachlich ist der Begriff vermutlich aus dem mittelhochdeutschen Wort bôzen oder bessen abgeleitet (schlagen, poltern, klopfen) - vgl. Leander Petzoldt, „Kleines Lexikon der Dämonen und Elementargeister“ (1990). Eine andere mögliche Namensherleitung ist verbutzen (verhüllen, vermummen; vom langobardischen Wort pauz).

Ein anderer Name für den Butzemann ist Mummelmann, d.h. der vermummte Mann. Es gibt auch aus diesen beiden Begriffen zusammengesetzte Formen wie Butzenmummel, Mummelputz, Mombotz (in Hessen) und Mumpitz.

In der heute bekannten Fassung des Kinderliedes Bi-ba-butzemann wird aus der Schreckfigur ein lustig tanzender Zwerg, der gute Kinder mit Äpfeln aus seinem Säcklein beschenkt. Ursprünglich besang dieses Lied einen Poltergeist mit klappernden Knochen und Sense. Der Name kann auch stellvertretend für den Teufel stehen.

Er ist überdies ein allgemeiner Sammelbegriff für allerlei Dämonen und andere geisterhafte Wesenheiten.

Im angelsächsischen Raum entspricht der Butzemann im weitesten Sinne dem boggart oder bogeyman, der oft auch als Schwarzer Mann übersetzt wird; er kommt nachts aus Kleiderschränken oder kratzt am Fenster. Er ist eine beliebte Figur in Fantasyromanen (wie beispielsweise Harry Potter oder Terry Pratchetts Scheibenweltserie) und findet in Horrorfilmen Verwendung.
    When you click on the English version you are re-directed to a figure much more familiar to me, the boogeyman!:

The bogeyman, boogyman, bogyman, boogieman, boogey monster, or boogeyman, is a folkloric or legendary ghostlike monster. The bogeyman has no specific appearance, and conceptions of the monster can vary drastically even from household to household within the same community; in many cases he simply has no set appearance in the mind of a child, but is just an amorphous embodiment of terror. Bogeyman can be used metaphorically to denote a person or thing of which someone has an irrational fear. Parents often say that if their child is naughty, the bogeyman will get them, in an effort to make them behave. The bogeyman legend may originate from Scotland, where such creatures are sometimes called bogles, boggarts, or bogies.[1]

Bogeyman tales vary by region. In some places the bogeyman is male; in others, female, and in others, both. In some Midwestern states of the United States, the bogeyman scratches at the window. In the Pacific Northwest he may manifest in "green fog." In other places he hides under the bed or in the closet and tickles children when they go to sleep at night. It is said that a wart can be transmitted to someone by the bogeyman.[1] Bogeymen may be said to target a specific mischief – for instance, a bogeyman that punishes children who suck their thumbs – or general misbehavior.
    Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Origin of the word
    * 2 Other purported origins
    * 3 Analogues in other cultures
    * 4 In popular culture
    * 5 References
    * 6 External links

[edit] Origin of the word

The word bogey is most likely derived from the Middle English bogge/bugge[2] (also the origin of the word bug), and thus is generally thought to be a cognate of the German bögge, böggel-mann (English "Bogeyman"). The word could also be linked to many similar words in other European languages; Buse (Nynorsk), bòcan, púca, pooka or pookha (Irish Gaelic), pwca, bwga or bwgan (Welsh), puki (Old Norse), pixie or piskie (Cornish), puck (English), bogu (Slavonic)[3].
    Funny thing is that in the English article they say that the boogeyman "originated" in Scotland...but then go on to say how widespread occurences of the Boogeyman are throughout the British Isles, Scandinavia, Germany, and even some Slavic countries. And in an etymological sense the word(s) seem to come from some common source.

What is to be made of this?

I still remember looking out the window into the woods some nights and my one older cousin telling my younger cousin and I that the Boogeyman was out there somewhere. Every once and a while he might even say "Did you see that?!?!" and say that he had seen the Boogeyman in the woods for a split second. It freaked us out.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Ancestry
    Deitsch
    Country
    State
    Married
    Occupation
    Professor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Urglaawe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Here is the German wikipedia article for Butzemann, which points out his strong appearance in South Germany and Switzerland, PA Deitsch ancestral homeland:
    Just wanted to follow up on this.

There are now pages on the Deitsch Wikipedia for Butzemann, Urglaawe, and a few other Heathen-related topics. We're working hard on building a larger volume of references in Deitsch and in English. A prototype booklet for an introduction to Urglaawe has been created for use at presentations and gatherings through the Deitscherei and other areas, but there is still more to add to it before the full publication is completed. Anyone interested in that information in the meantime is welcomed to contact me directly.

http://pdc.wikipedia.org/wiki/urglaawe
    http://pdc.wikipedia.org/wiki/butzemann
    http://pdc.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Ewich_Yeeger

Rob

Last Online
    Saturday, August 13th, 2011 @ 04:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    German, English
    Country
    State
    Maryland Maryland
    Married parent
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    my conception of today's PA Dutch just went from "wiggers" to "maybe there's hope" in six seconds flat.
    You consider today's PA Dutch to be "wiggers"? I have to say that the term "wigger" was the furthest thing from my mind last week when I was in Amish southwestern PA last weekend.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Ancestry
    Deitsch
    Country
    State
    Married
    Occupation
    Professor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Urglaawe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Tomorrow (October 6) is the anniversary of the first German settlers' arrival in Pennsylvania in 1683. Although these first arrivals were Anabaptist Christians, Urglaawe still respects and celebrates the courage and dedication that these earliest settlers had.

As the first refugee settlers from a non-colonizing land, one would expect that their culture (whether Plain or Fancy) and language would not have been able to survive 327 years, yet here we are.

Hail to their fortitude!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12