Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Question IBM & 'The Holocaust'

I recently read this book: "IBM and the Holocaust" by Edwin Black. It delves into the subject of the Hollerith Tabulating Machine(s) that IBM supplied to the Reich.
    Has anyone read it?.. Any opinions?

http://ibmandtheholocaust.com/

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Post Re: IBM & the Holocaust

Yes, I have another opinion. Actually, this is a job for Superman, since we have alot of deprogramming to do. The flow of computer science did not go to from IBM, it went to IBM. The Hollerith computer you mention is one of several models developed by Dr. Konrad Zuse, in Germany, starting in 1938 with the Z-1 (model). By 1944 Zuse had developed the Z-3 computer which was used in Nordhausen to plot the path of the first ballistic weapon, the V-2. It used the first programmable language, "Plankalkuel". At the same time, Dr. Hans Kammler in his think-tank, the Kammler Group, was using this Z-3, along with the invention of magnetic tape as a storge device, in his fully computerized SS headquarters. The Americans interrogated Zuse after the war but totally failed to realize the significance of the digital computer. America went on with the analog computer, considering the digital as nothing. In 1950, the American "intelligence" services realized their mistake and sought out Dr. Zuse, again, in Germany. They offered him work in America. Zuse, by that time, had a company going in Germany with a source of funding which confounded the Americans because they didn't know who it was and so couldn't dry it up. Zuse never came to America and like everything done in the Nazi period, was decades ahead of the rest of the world. Source: use Konrad Zuse as a search word on the internet; "Hitlers Siegeswaffen Band 2, by Friedrich Georg, 2003, Amun-Verlag, Schleusingen, Germany.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile Re: IBM & the Holocaust

Cheers for posting. Interesting info.(I have read about Konrad Zuse) Herman Hollerith (1860-1929) did invent the basic tabulating machine, whereas Konrad Zuse invented the first basic 'computer'....but you are saying that it was Dr Zuse that actually developed the Hollerith machine instead?.. ...no hang on...I must have this wrong.... Didn't Hollerith come first (with his simple punch card machine)...then Zuse.
    Explain more please. ....

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

You are obviously a computer person. I am not. All I know is what I read on-line and in Friedrich Georg's book and the Freedom Of Information Act request I filed with the US National Archives and Records Administration on Zuse and the information I received. The Combined Intelligence Objectives Sub-Committee report by the British-American teams sent into Germany was that the German work on "calculation machines" there was no word "computer" as we know it, said that there was nothing new or of interest in the whole affair. Of course, they change their minds as soon as they began testing V-2s and wanted to know how to guide them and do it quickly.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile Re: IBM & the Holocaust

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    You are obviously a computer person. I am not. All I know is what I read on-line and in Friedrich Georg's book and the Freedom Of Information Act request I filed with the US National Archives and Records Administration on Zuse and the information I received. The Combined Intelligence Objectives Sub-Committee report by the British-American teams sent into Germany was that the German work on "calculation machines" there was no word "computer" as we know it, said that there was nothing new or of interest in the whole affair. Of course, they change their minds as soon as they began testing V-2s and wanted to know how to guide them and do it quickly.

No I actually dislike computers somewhat. I have only had one for about 8 months now. I prefer books anyday for information.

I think the V2 came at the wrong time for Germany. Devised for a vengence weapon,..with resources running short, little time, not achieving the desired effect...etc. A huge Phallis of breakthrough potential.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The V-2 was developed and mostly finished by late summer of 1942. It then was moved to Nordhausen to be put into production. The big question has always been: What did all those rocket scientists back at Peenemuende do between late 1942 and Feb.-March, 1945 when Peenemuende was abandon?
    Well, guess what, they worked on the A-9/A-10. The A-9 was just a better V-2 but the A-10 was a huge, thick, 90 ft. booster which would have allowed the A-9 to reach New York or achieve orbit. I have evidence, obtained via the Freedom Of Information Act, that these rockets were built at Peenemuende. Also, a German researcher, Thomas Mehner, has found evidence that two such rockets were actually fired ---test launched at a place in Thuringia called Ohrdruf. He has Allied arieal photographs of the launch stand and eye-witness reports from the region. Both tests were at night.

Besides the big rockets, a V-3 and V-4 were made. The V-3 was a high pressure cannon according to some or a solild fuel rocket according to others. The V-4 was a cruise missile like the V-1 only much faster. Another German researcher, Friedrich Georg, ("Hitlers Siegeswaffen, Band 2) says the V-4 was actually launched from a plateau-region of Norway against Britian, hitting, as I recall, some area near Manchester. Only limited numbers were built before the war ended.