Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Swiss Approve Prescription Heroin

Swiss approve prescription heroin

Swiss voters have approved a change in health policy to offer prescription heroin to addicts on a permanent basis.

Final results from the national referendum showed 68% of voters supported the plan.

The scheme, allowing addicts to inject the drug under medical supervision at a clinic, began in Zurich 14 years ago before spreading across the country.

But in another referendum vote, 63% of voters rejected the decriminalisation of cannabis.

The heroin vote was one of a series of referendums held to decide policy on illegal drugs.

Under the scheme, addicts visit clinics up to twice a day, where they inject the drug under medical supervision. They can also be treated for other medical issues or mental health problems, out correspondent says.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7757050.stm

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 08:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wish our democracy was more like Swiss democracy.

Common sense has prevailed.

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Has Switzerland gone mad!?

Throw them in to a darkened room, lock it, and provide adequate nourishment as they go cold turkey.
    If upon their release they cannot keep themselves off of this hard drug, then yet another stint will be deemed necessary.

Repeat till a conclusion is met.
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Whilst I am against decriminalisation of hard drugs, and am at least in two minds about allowing prescription through national health services with a tendency towards not permitting it, I understand that this was held to a referendum.

As such, whilst I may not favour the move - being a great fan of Swiss democracy, I respect it: The people have spoken, and if it turns out to be adverse to the smooth running of their society, then they have clearly brought it upon themselves.

Got to accept the voice of the people if the Swiss model is what you have. For good or for ill.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    No, Switzerland has gone sane.

I think it's a good move. First because the principle of democracy is actually respected, unlike in certain other countries where the government and officials pride themselves with being staunch defenders of democracy, yet disrespecting it in practice. Second because it's a responsible attitude towards drug addiction, heroin addicts being able to receive their drug under medical supervision, in pure form, with clean syringes and needles. In other words, it's a step forward towards keeping AIDS and drug-related crime under control.

Last Online
    Monday, December 1st, 2008 @ 11:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ancestry
    Angeln
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good on the Swiss!

I don't think there's is a problem with issuing (rather hard) drugs to people who sincerely need it. There's alot of people who are in easily treatable pain out there, and if our progress in science and medicine has a solution to it, then there's no reason it should be witheld. Democratic consensus is an enormous part of what kind of folk we are, and it should be guarded.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitas View Post
    Second because it's a responsible attitude towards drug addiction, heroin addicts being able to receive their drug under medical supervision, in pure form, with clean syringes and needles. In other words, it's a step forward towards keeping AIDS and drug-related crime under control.

I agree somewhat with you here. But, I also have to wonder if its not just a free high, what twice a day? Is that going to keep them from still buying? For some reason, I don't think so.

There is a needle exchange in Atlanta, Georgia...where people can go and get free needles and they know what they are using them for, but they ain't handing out heroin.

So, I'm outta weed, when are they going to provide me with it when I am out..?
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    East German
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    National
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Whilst I am against decriminalisation of hard drugs, and am at least in two minds about allowing prescription through national health services with a tendency towards not permitting it, I understand that this was held to a referendum.

As such, whilst I may not favour the move - being a great fan of Swiss democracy, I respect it: The people have spoken, and if it turns out to be adverse to the smooth running of their society, then they have clearly brought it upon themselves.

Got to accept the voice of the people if the Swiss model is what you have. For good or for ill.
    The "will of the people" has been to mix with aliens and follow multiculti popculture crap for some decades, I suppose we should accept that too? That's why democracy is a bad idea, 90 of people are idiots without the ability to make a right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeternitas View Post
    No, Switzerland has gone sane.

I think it's a good move. First because the principle of democracy is actually respected, unlike in certain other countries where the government and officials laud themselves with being staunch defenders of democracy, yet disrespecting it in practice. Second because it's a responsible attitude towards drug addiction, heroin addicts being able to receive their drug under medical supervision, in pure form, with clean syringes and needles. In other words, it's a step forward towards keeping AIDS and drug-related crime under control.
    Responsible? Helping junkies? Junkies should be thrown out of society, behind bars, not rewarded. They're leeches and should be treated like bloody leeches. I'm hoping this garbage won't be applicable in Germany. I wouldn't want my tax money to go on supporting bloody junkie scum.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossi View Post
    The "will of the people" has been to mix with aliens and follow multiculti popculture crap for some decades, I suppose we should accept that too?
    Actually the Swiss population in one of these referenda just a while ago voted in affirmation of a proposition to make immigration more difficult.

That's why democracy is a bad idea, 90 of people are idiots without the ability to make a right decision.
    ...which is why the other 10% have to guide them to making the right decision. There will always be sheeple, in any system: Such is not a matter of democracy, such is a matter of human nature. The "non-idiot" is the one that should guide them to making the right decisions.

Responsible? Helping junkies? Junkies should be thrown out of society, behind bars, not rewarded.
    So they have their dealers and junkie mates that are still outside of prison smuggle batches of drugs into prison one way or the other, with the bunch of them beating each other up and killing each other for a single fix of heroin or a gram of cocaine?

They're leeches and should be treated like bloody leeches.
    Call me a "raging liberal" for it, but in the case of non-capital offences overly retributionist jurisdiction does not work, nor does it bear fruits. If someone is convicted of a drug-related offence and ends up in prison for it, then a minimum requirement of early parole should be that they undertake all measures to whilst in prison, via social work employed behind bars, show remorse for their deeds and show that there is a reason to believe that they will not be a menace to society upon their release. If there are no such measures undertaken by them, their prison term should be prolonged.

Those who did not get involved in dealing, but only consumed, are just people of weak willpower, or at least had weak willpower at some point in time before they got themselves caught down in the cycle of addiction. It is the duty of the responsible and rational person to guide them to a better conviction of mind.

Someone who is thrown into prison for drug use will not become a better person just because he is punished for his consuming drugs. There is a good chance that once outside, he will become a drug taker again, possibly of a different drug. The only way to deal with that is to guide them away from their ill deeds, which they likely won't break if they go to prison for it - and will just resume upon release.

Not to mention that prisoners aren't exactly maintained for free.

I'm hoping this garbage won't be applicable in Germany. I wouldn't want my tax money to go on supporting bloody junkie scum.
    Whilst I have stated that I am no fan of allowing people to continue their addiction by the help of the public hand, via it being administered through the NHS, I can certainly see some merit in it.

That merit would be that it pretty effectively takes out most of the drug trade, or at least makes it less profitable. As such, this measure could be a long-term way to fight the prevalence of hard drugs in our societies: The less readily it is available on the streets and the less profitable it is, the less dealers will be, and the less people will eventually get addicted to heroin. It's not like someone can go to the NHS and say, "I'd like to try some smack, care to give me a fix, doc?"

Thus whilst it is a move I do not echo 100%, as the tax payer's money should possibly go into ways which would be more effective to stop drug abuse, and which would be more in accordance with my worldview, I can see where the supporters of NHS-administered drugs are coming from, and I can see it working if done sensibly and with the eventual target of getting the addicts off the drug altogether.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Lyfing View Post
    I agree somewhat with you here. But, I also have to wonder if its not just a free high, what twice a day? Is that going to keep them from still buying? For some reason, I don't think so.

There is a needle exchange in Atlanta, Georgia...where people can go and get free needles and they know what they are using them for, but they ain't handing out heroin.

So, I'm outta weed, when are they going to provide me with it when I am out..?
    It would naturally keep them from buying it off the street, as street drugs are not exactly cheap. Drug addicts commit crimes like stealing in order to gather funds to support their habit. This would be eliminated at least in part by the introduction of such programs. It would also be a blow to drug dealers and drug-financed crime. It is drug dealers who are most interested in keeping drugs illegal, as they can charge and provide whatever they like.

The results of a British program turned out to be fairly positive:
    A pilot scheme established "shooting galleries" in London, Brighton and Darlington, where addicts could get drugs and inject under supervision. The scheme cut crime and stopped street sales. Crimes committed by the addicts dropped from about 40 to six a month after six months of treatment, said Professor John Strang, the head of the National Addiction Centre at the Maudsley hospital. A third of addicts stopped using street heroin and the number of occasions when the rest "scored" dropped from every day to four to five times a month, on average.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Ossi View Post
    Responsible? Helping junkies? Junkies should be thrown out of society, behind bars, not rewarded. They're leeches and should be treated like bloody leeches. I'm hoping this garbage won't be applicable in Germany. I wouldn't want my tax money to go on supporting bloody junkie scum.
    I'd prefer spending taxes on controlling heroin addiction responsibly than on filling the prisons with drug users and solving exactly nothing. What do you think they'd do once they're released from prison? Go back to their street habits, of course. I'd rather have the real threats put in prison, like rapists, child molesters and so on. Addiction is a health issue and should thus be treated in medical centers, not prisons. Sending drug addicts to prison would cost more than funding these programs anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast