View Poll Results: I support:

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scandinavism (the idea of Scandinavia as a unified region or a single nation).

56 29.02%
  • Nordism (Nordic economic co-operation and integration).

53 27.46%
  • Another form of Scandinavian or Nordic unity.

16 8.29%
  • None of the above, I believe the Scandinavian/Nordic countries should retain their independence.

61 31.61%
  • Other.

7 3.63%
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandinavism/Nordism

Last Online
    Thursday, November 18th, 2010 @ 10:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    National Capitalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Scandinavism/Nordism

I ask you, people of Scandinavia, what do you think of a unification of our lands?

Either it is just to oppose the EU, or because you feel we are one people as I do (which also include opposition to the EU)...
    "A king should have honor, not a long life."

- King Magnus Barefoot (1093 - 1103)

Last Online
    Saturday, March 10th, 2007 @ 10:25 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Occupation
    Student.
    Politics
    I don't really have one.
    Religion
    Metalhead.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Scandinavian/Nordic Union

Call me stupid (it is early in the morning) but can I ask specifically what kind of union?

Like... something more like an alliance? Where they're together but still seperate states? Or actually join all the states together like what happened after the Plague?

Last Online
    Thursday, November 18th, 2010 @ 10:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    National Capitalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Scandinavian/Nordic Union

One union, but not like the one that "happened after the plague". Not like the Kalmar Union. In the Kalmar Union the countries were not equally represented, the power was based in Denmark and the kings was foreigners (Germans). I am talking of a union where a new capital could be made (at the border between Norway and Sweden), the languages could be mixed into one (they are pretty similar anyway) and one goverment (or royal council) with representatives from all three countries would be present (in equal amount) to form a new nation.
    "A king should have honor, not a long life."

- King Magnus Barefoot (1093 - 1103)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Scandinavism/Nordism

Scandinavism (also called Pan-Scandinavianism) and Nordism are literary and political movements that support various degrees of cooperation between the Scandinavian or Nordic countries.

Scandinavism and Nordism are interchangeable terms for the literary, linguistic and cultural movement that focuses on promoting a shared Nordic past, a shared cultural heritage, a common Nordic mythology and a common linguistic root in Old Norse, and which led to the formation of joint periodicals and societies in support of Scandinavian literature and languages. However, political Scandinavism and political Nordism are two distinct political movements which emerged at different points in time.

Political Scandinavism

Political Scandinavism paralleled the 19th-century unification movements of Germany and Italy. As opposed to the German and Italian counterparts, the Scandinavian state-building project was not successful and is no longer pursued.

It was at its height in the mid-19th century and supported the idea of Scandinavia as a unified region or a single nation, based on the common linguistic, political and cultural heritage of the Scandinavian countries Denmark, Norway, Sweden. (These three countries are referred to as "three brothers" in the sixth stanza of the national anthem of Norway.)

The movement was initiated by Danish and Swedish university students in the 1840s, with a base in Scania. In the beginning, the political establishments in the two countries, including the absolute monarch Christian VIII and Charles XIV with his "one man government", were suspicious of the movement. The police in Denmark therefore kept the proponents of Scandinavism under close guard. However, when Oscar I became king of Sweden and Norway in 1844, the relationship with Denmark improved and the movement started to gain support in liberal newspapers like Fædrelandet and Aftonbladet, which saw it as a way to counter the conservative powers that were. During the war between Denmark and Prussia in 1848, Sweden (then in union with Norway) offered support in form of a Norwegian-Swedish expeditionary force, though the force never actually saw combat. The movement received a blow from which it never fully recovered after the second Danish-German war over Schleswig, when the Swedish government refused to jeopardize its future by joining in an alliance against the rising German power on the continent.

Political Nordism

Political Nordism was introduced with the Nordic Association which started through Swedish initiatives in 1919. The movement also includes Finland, Iceland and the Danish territories Greenland and Faroe Islands and has an ideological base in Nordic economic co-operation and integration supported by the Nordic Council. It has been described as "collaborative nationalism".

Scandinavism and Nordism today

Modern Nordism and Scandinavism has played a part in the close cooperation among the five Nordic countries, examples include the Nordic Passport Union, the Nordic Council the Scandinavian Airlines System and the Royal League. It also surfaces amongst Danes and Swedes in criticism of the EU, saying a Nordic union between Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Iceland would have been better. According to a poll in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, "a slim majority of voters in Norway and Sweden is in favour of a Nordic, rather than European, union. A slight majority of Danish voters favour the EU, but would support closer ties to a Nordic union, if a partnership with the EU on free cross-border movement and free trade would be arranged."

The overall lukewarm feelings among some Nordic citizens toward European integration is reflected in varying degrees in their governments' late or incomplete integration into European institutions. Finland and Sweden did not join the EU until 1995 and Norway has voted not to join at all. As for adopting the Euro as the national currency, Denmark negotiated an exception for itself to the Maastrict Treaty which would have required it to adopt the Euro; Sweden has rejected the Euro in referenda, and so far only Finland has adopted it.

Scandinavian unity in literature

• The Sherlock Holmes story A Scandal in Bohemia mentions a fictional "King of Scandinavia" whose daughter is about to marry the (also fictional) King of Bohemia, a major protagonist in the story.
    • The hope of a Nordic political union is the topic of a poem by Danish poet Kaj Munk: Norden: Fra hvor Isen kroner Jorden (The North: From whence Ice crowns the Earth)

Scandinavian unity in popular culture

• In the Japanese anime Gundam SEED Destiny, there's a nation called "The Kingdom of Scandinavia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavism

Do you support Scandinavism or Nordism? Do you believe the countries mentioned should united based on their common characteristrics?

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I support the current status of Nordic/Scandinavian cooperation but I would not want to take it further in trying to weld our countries together in a new Kalmarunion or blurr the political/national distinction between us. I would however support a Nordic military alliance, primarily inbetween Norway, Sweden and Finland (the Danes seem more Europe and Nato focused and would probably be harder to bring into such a project). Norway would have to leave NATO and instead share the burden of building a credible and potent defence specific to the task of protecting the three Nordic countries' territorial integrity. We should also remove ourselves from all international military missions and instead focus solely on Nordic defence. This way we will have more leeway in terms of our foreign policy as we wont have to come to the aid of some eastern European nation or breakaway republic in the Caucasus and risk an unnecessary war with Russia.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 29th, 2012 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo - Saxon.
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    [Psychologist]
    Politics
    Patriotic
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    what are the propects of Norway leaving NATO when the Russians are actually threatening an Artic expansion.........

otherwise - go for a loose Scandinavian Union - based on Native Rights!

Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Niedersachsen , gijon
    Subrace
    Nordic amd Ibero-Celtic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    not happy to be divorced
    Occupation
    All ways working
    Politics
    Community Volkisch
    Religion
    Old Religion - European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrioten View Post
    I support the current status of Nordic/Scandinavian cooperation but I would not want to take it further in trying to weld our countries together in a new Kalmarunion or blurr the political/national distinction between us. I would however support a Nordic military alliance, primarily inbetween Norway, Sweden and Finland (the Danes seem more Europe and Nato focused and would probably be harder to bring into such a project). Norway would have to leave NATO and instead share the burden of building a credible and potent defence specific to the task of protecting the three Nordic countries' territorial integrity. We should also remove ourselves from all international military missions and instead focus solely on Nordic defence. This way we will have more leeway in terms of our foreign policy as we wont have to come to the aid of some eastern European nation or breakaway republic in the Caucasus and risk an unnecessary war with Russia.
    In the best scenario I would like to see a new military union which would include Germany and Holland and no Nato. With Sweden and Germany going multi-culty,and the BRD politics what they are, This seems further away every year.

I think that the russians would not be interested in a conventional war with Germany plus all other germanic states.

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfang View Post
    In the best scenario I would like to see a new military union which would include Germany and Holland and no Nato.
    What about the other 10 provinces of the Netherlands and Vlaanderen?

Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Niedersachsen , gijon
    Subrace
    Nordic amd Ibero-Celtic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    not happy to be divorced
    Occupation
    All ways working
    Politics
    Community Volkisch
    Religion
    Old Religion - European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauke Haien View Post
    What about the other 10 provinces of the Netherlands and Vlaanderen?
    Yes, excuse me. The Netherlands et Vlaanderen. In the US it is shorthanded as "Holland"

Last Online
    Saturday, October 24th, 2009 @ 06:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bozen
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Scandinavia should be unified and closely allied with, if not incorporated into, a larger Germanic Empire or Union.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast