Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Russia's Population

by James Wild, London, UK

If Russia's population is shrinking by 700,000 a year why are Russia's politicians not encouraging immigration? I'm sure that encouraging immigrants from the developing world and from Asia's booming economies of India and China would help boost Russia's economy and stop the population from falling.

A very interesting question and one that gets to the heart of the conundrum facing Russia. Russia has a vast territory, but a shrinking number of people to fill it. Russian men die younger than any other Europeans (average 58 years) and Russian women on average have just 1.5 children, far below replacement level. In addition young Russians are fleeing the countryside, and from Siberia.

The reality is that a massive inward migration is already under way from the Caucasus, Central Asia and China. Since the end of the Soviet Union upwards of 10 million people from the former Soviet republics have poured into Russia - upper estimates put it at 25 million. Russia's economy simply would not function without them. Go to any construction site in Moscow, look at the street cleaners, office cleaners, market traders, taxi driver, truck driver, you name it, they are all immigrants.

The problem for politicians is that there is still high unemployment among unskilled and uneducated Russians, and that is leading to a growing backlash against immigrants. The level of racism in Russia can be quite shocking. Normally polite Muscovites will openly refer to people from the Caucasus in scornful, derogatory terms. Much more worryingly, there is a large and growing neo-Nazi movement in Russia which openly advocates the expulsion of all non-white foreigners. Violence against minority groups, including murder, is on the rise.

I have only met one Russian politician who openly advocates a pro-immigration policy. He is from the liberal leaning SBS party, and he has lost his seat in parliament. We outside of Russia hear much about criminal elements being ever- present throughout the vast country, such as robberies or mafia presence. Did you encounter any of this along the way?

The impression of Russia as a land of lawlessness and gangsters stems largely from the 1990s and has, by and large, disappeared. I'm not saying there aren't gangsters in Russia anymore, but the open street battles, assassinations and general banditry that were common in the 1990s have pretty much gone. On my trip, the biggest worry was the police, who have a tendency to demand large bribes rather than issue traffic tickets!

Dimitar, there is a huge construction boom going on in Russia, and not just in big cities like Moscow.

Everywhere I went I saw building sites. Most of this new construction is commercial property - offices, shopping malls, entertainment centres and apartment buildings.

What I was really struck by is the proliferation of the out-of-town shopping malls. This is something I have also seen in China and India. Russians too are taking to consumerism with relish. There are now Ikea stores all over Russia, and a host of other superstores, mega-malls and DIY stores. Russians love DIY. There was less evidence of new public buildings being built.

Who owns or controls the agricultural land in present-day Russia?
    Jan Miszewski, Clear Lake, Iowa, USA

Good question Jan. The collapse of agriculture in Russia is a really big issue.

My understanding is that all agricultural land still belongs to the state, but you can buy long-term leases.

Quite a lot of land has been privatised, but a huge amount still remains in the hands of the old state farms.

Many of the villages I visited on this trip had a really tragic appearance. Most of the farm buildings were completely derelict. Villagers told me there were simply no jobs on the farms anymore.

Why aren't villagers leasing land and starting up their own small farms? I think the answer is that most of them simply don't know how.

They don't have the ability to borrow money. They don't have the experience of running a private farm.

On a previous trip to the Urals I met a Russian businessman who had bought the lease on 1,000 hectares of agricultural land.

He told me he had found it impossible to get any Russians to come and farm the land for him.

He thought 70 years of communism was to blame, that Russians had lost the knowledge and the desire to farm the land. In the end he'd leased the land out to a group of Chinese farmers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7239383.stm

I would say, there's a similar pattern, between the white American and the Russian which is, the lack of desire wanting more than one child, as well as limiting themselves in the field of skills.
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 01:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I would say, there's a similar pattern, between the white American and the Russian which is, the lack of desire wanting more than one child, as well as limiting themselves in the field of skills.
    For different reasons, when it's true, and it's increasingly not the case among those with the wherewithal to support a family. Walking around Russian towns, I'm always struck by the amount of toddlers being walked about, playing in the sand pits/snow with their little plastic spades, something I don't see so much in England. This is the towns, where the younger people of my perestroika generation are emerging from the psychological trauma of the nineties better than older people who remember better how it Used To Be Earlier, and when they can they are marrying and having children. I'm thinking of a lot of my own friends here. In the remoter townships and villages, it's much more depressing, with malaise and drink screwing the people up something terrible. The typical Russian girl of twenty-something, even in Moscow (if you avoid the odd leggy thin model-creatures that hang around the inner city boutiques and nightclubs) is usually married and on the way to her first child, or at least engaged. And she wants to have a family. If that means sharing a one room flat with mother-in-law, husband and babies, so be it. There's very little of this "I don't want to have children" nonsense you hear from a certain all too prevalent sort of western woman. Even in the village, they're hardly putting off childbirth to keep their figures or enjoy a hedonistic "Sluts in the City" lifestyle - they're simply ill, dirt poor, and off their face on moonshine. The Agrarian Question will be a major thing to look out for in the coming administration. Mayor Luzhkov of Moscow has already published a book on it (part of yet another presidential bid).

Quote Originally Posted by BBC swines and their cothinkers
    I'm sure that encouraging immigrants from the developing world and from Asia's booming economies of India and China would help boost Russia's economy and stop the population from falling.
    James Wild, London, UK
    Is James Wild even a real person?!? Sadly, I fear he is. Is he deaf and blind, or does he just never leave his house in London? "I'm sure that Russia would be better off if it disappeared from the map, from history and from human memory, and became a northern appendage of China!"
    I have only met one Russian politician who openly advocates a pro-immigration policy. He is from the liberal leaning SBS party, and he has lost his seat in parliament.
    I'd never even heard of this SOB Party! I hope I never do again!
    We outside of Russia hear much about criminal elements being ever- present throughout the vast country, such as robberies or mafia presence. Did you encounter any of this along the way?
    Karthick, Mumbai, India
    I know for a fact that Sri Lankan and Indian people traffickers are operating in Russia and Belarus. Maybe Karthick should just ask around in Delhi.
    On a previous trip to the Urals I met a Russian businessman who had bought the lease on 1,000 hectares of agricultural land.

He told me he had found it impossible to get any Russians to come and farm the land for him.
    I'd love to hear any ideas for solving this one, cos I haven't got any...

Last Online
    Friday, April 24th, 2009 @ 04:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    american
    Subrace
    nordish
    full-time parent/exemplar
    Politics
    reality > reason > rights
    Religion
    no beliefs - knowledge
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question if russians were educated, skilled and employed - they would not stoop to neo-nazi racism

Quote Originally Posted by BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes
    The problem for politicians is that there is still high unemployment among unskilled and uneducated Russians,
    and that is leading to a growing backlash against immigrants.

The level of racism in Russia can be quite shocking.
    Normally polite Muscovites will openly refer to people from the Caucasus in scornful, derogatory terms.

Much more worryingly, there is a large and growing neo-Nazi movement in Russia
    which openly advocates the expulsion of all non-white foreigners.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 01:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei
    if russians were educated, skilled and employed - they would not stoop to neo-nazi racism
    Very crude there, from the BBC. I'm so used to this tactic in England that I barely registered it here.
    Subtext: "Yes, nice middle class people reading this paper! We're talking about nasty working class oiks here. Boo hiss! Don't forget that absence of xenophilia is a sign of uncouthness. Why, it even applies in our own country! My word - the whole issue is far more simple than it first seems! Now, repeat after me - The Russkies are nasty uncultured ignoramuses. When will our beloved Government do something to reform these swine?!?!"

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 06:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Russia rising VAT in 2019

The agricultural decline had ended with the sanctions's wars around the War in Eastern Ukraine ,
    making Russia the largest Wheat Exporter in the world .

I had read though , that some countries like Algeria reject Russian crops because of quality issues ,
    these countries likely want Elite Wheat from France for example with all the chemical issues around
    hebizides and pesticides ; but Russia could be even worse applying chemicals .

In Germany there are apparently four different quality types for wheat : Cattle Food Wheat, Bread Wheat, A-Wheat, Elite Wheat .
    At a price level of around 200€/t currently , the difference is just €10/t between Cattle Food Wheat and Elite Wheat .

Never the less , Russia is rising the Value Adjusted Tax ( VAT ) from 18% to 20% at the beginning of the year 2019 .
    The Duma thinks , that it would earn just 8.3 Bio. €uroes more in revenue ; thought to halv the people in poverty ,
    raising real incomes , raising productivity and raising the expection of lifespan .

German Language :
    600 Milliarden Rubel (rund 8,3 Mrd. Euro nach aktuellem Wechselkurs) betragen. Sie sollen dazu verwendet werden, die "nationalen Entwicklungsziele" zu finanzieren, die Präsident Wladimir Putin per Dekret im Mai festgelegt hatte. Zu den Zielen zählen etwa die Halbierung der Armut, eine Erhöhung der Realeinkommen, höhere Arbeitsproduktivität sowie eine Erhöhung der Lebenserwartung.
    https://russland.ahk.de/infothek/new...uf-20-prozent/

The German wikipedia has a page about Russian Taxes, but just available in two other Cyrillic languages :
    https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steuerrecht_(Russland)

Crude Oil itself seems to be taxed by a fixed lease amount , not by percentage adjusted to the
    World's Crude prices .
    This of course would generate relative low income from oil production when the oil price is high ,
    and probably reasonable income if the oil price would be low .

Gasoline fuel above 80 octans is taxed by a fixed amount of 3,629 Rubles / ton .

One Euro is currently at 75 Rubles .

The recovery of the Russian economy since 2015 happened at a level , when the crude oil price
    had fallen from $100 to $30 / bbl .

I am not sure , if the VAT is added on top of any gasoline fuels additionally .

In my honest opinion , taxes are a confirmation , that the Public Service is an ethnicity of it's own ,
    and don't belong to the inhabitance of a nation .
    Russia should have enough income to do without VAT , especially since the reduced VAT on food
    of 10% is higher , than the German 7% .
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 06:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Jutland
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Schleswig-Holstein Schleswig-Holstein
    Zodiac Sign
    Taurus
    Family
    Widowed
    Politics
    cons. old fashion worker class
    Religion
    Philosophical Archaic Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    15% of the Russian Population is living below the exential income level of €140 a month .

This report claims , that homeless people are to be found in the center of megacities ,
    like anywhere else in the world , like for example in Berlin .

The amount of poor people has risen from 15 mio. six years ago to 20 mio.

The inflation rate is low at 3.4% and the leading interest rate by the Central Bank at 7.5% .

German language :
    Auch die sogenannte Mittelschicht ist betroffen. Denn auch diejenigen, die in Lohn und Brot stehen, müssen mit Reallohnverlusten leben – seit 2014. Im September sanken die Einkommen um etwas mehr als ein Prozent. Viel deutlicher aber zeigt der Rückgang des Verbrauchervertrauens um 14 Prozent im dritten Quartal dieses Jahres die Situation der Bevölkerung.
    https://ostexperte.de/kolumne-russla...ichverteilung/

The report claims , that the difference level of the very rich to to very poor is the world's highest
    at 92.3% , followed by India with 87.6 and the U.S.A. with 86.2 percent ( GINI-Coefficient ) .

Daimler has re-started the production of Maybach limosines , after they had abandoned them
    in the Financial Crisis around 2010 , and these limousines are to be seen everywhere in Moskow .

The overall populace is happy with the work-life-balance , the employment rate situation , and
    the schooling .
    The population is unhappy with low salaries , environmental pollution and civil-social-engagement .

On another page of that website , it is claimed , that the very rich hoard $315 billion abroad , and
    $140 billion on accounts in the own country .
    Mk 10:18 What do you call me a good master, no-one is good .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Uwe Jens Lornsen For This Useful Post: