Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

US Battles Against UN 'Anti-Nazi' Measure

Russia has proposed a UN measure denouncing 'glorification of nazism', the US has opposed this measure, the Baltics and Ukraine are abstaining.

http://podblanc.com/russia-and-un-ou...ntries-abstain

http://en.rian.ru/world/20081119/118396557.html

The resolution was passed with 122 countries voting in favor, while 54 delegations abstained, including Ukraine, Estonia and Latvia. Only the U.S. voted against. The resolution is now practically guaranteed to be adopted at the next UN General Assembly session in December.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 11:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    "Nazi monuments are unveiled in a ceremonial atmosphere and the dates of liberation from the Nazis are proclaimed as days of mourning," Russia's UN representative, Grigory Lykyantsev, told the UN, adding that "this attitude towards anti-fascist veterans plays into the hands of those who call for 'a pure race.'"
    I think alot of people in the Baltic feel that the Russians can stick their "liberation" where the sun don't shine, and rightfully so. Same old bull from these people, delusional and arrogant as always.

Relations between Russia and Latvia and Estonia have also been strained over what Moscow calls the two states' unequal treatment of ethnic Russians, the alleged persecution of Soviet WWII veterans, and the apparent revival of nationalism and fascism.
    If Sweden had been dragged into ww2, become occupied by Russia for 50 years, had been denied our language, culture and identity, with Swedes being sent off to the gulags by the tens of thousands, never to return again, having our country invaded by russians in an effort to russify the country and perfom an ethnic genocide, I wouldn't be so keen on granting those russians citizenship rights.

As far as I'm concerned they wouldn't have any rights, and certainly no right to stay within our country's borders.

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I think the Russian minority should leave the Baltic countries. The former USSR-attempts to russify the Baltic countries like Latvia to secure their power-hemisphere there were absolutely wrong and are wrong nowadays, too. There are even regions within the Baltic countries were Balts make up only the minority!

Since I´m in favor of ethnopluralism I´d say "Latvia for the Latvians, Estonia for the Estonians and Russia for the Russians".

I´m not supporting the Russian side here, but the Baltic one. (On the other hand I support the rising Russian pride and patriotism - but only in Russia, of course *g*)

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 11:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I agree with you, of course. The Balts want their countries back, they want to rid themselves of Russian influence. However, the ways they go about doing this is not very ingenious. They should negotiate with the Russians, rather than treating them bad all the time, and therefore inviting a Russian backlash. It doesn't matter who you are, nobody would like to put up with bad treatment.
    I think they are going about this in a perfectly acceptable way. Not granting Russians living inside their countries, as part of a scheme to russify the country, citizenship is in their right (can you imagine the impact they would have in elections if they were allowed to vote? allowing a large foreign and hostile element to have any influence over the political scene in your country would be nothing short of madness, where lies their loyalty? In Tallinn or Moscow?).

Removing monuments erected by an invading force that came to occupy the country for half a century and which was responsible for killing off a large percentage of the populations in those countries is also perfectly acceptable.

The only way they can be considered as having done anything wrong is by looking at it from the Russian perspective, and from a Russian perspective these countries shouldn't even be free independent nations, they should be a part of Russia.

If Russia cares so much about these people why don't they take them back, after all they sent them there, or are they in fact content with having them placed inside these countries as fifth columnists and thus being able to use their situation, brought onto by themselves, as a paw against the Baltic nations on the international scene? When a country like Russia claims that it is worried about fascist tendencies in the Baltic nations, portraying these countries as a threat against their own security, any reasonable human being ought to come to the conclusion that this has more to do with Russian delusions than with anything going on in the Baltic countries.

It would appear most European leaders have lost (or never had) the art of constructive negotiation. War was usually the only method of score-settling in Europe. That is why our race is currently declining.
    As if politics by force and intimidation is something Europe-specific. Where in the world do you find peoples inbetween which problems are solved and have been solved in the past by "constructive negotiation"? I'd say it comes down to basic human behaviour. Human nature favors cooperation within the own tribe and makes for strained or even hostile relations with foreign tribes in general and competing ones in particular.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It would appear most European leaders have lost (or never had) the art of constructive negotiation. War was usually the only method of score-settling in Europe. That is why our race is currently declining.
    I think our going soft might be the problem.

Schimmelreiter
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    It is not Europe-specific, but Europeans should know better, if they claim to be more intelligent. Yet it would seem to me that they still have learnt nothing from history.
    Of course we have learnt from history: That we should invite millions of foreigners into our countries, that we should not even try to increase our power and that the fair play award is what decides over the future of our people. Your proposed lesson fits right in there.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 7th, 2012 @ 09:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Occupation
    Music Store
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Russia cares so much about these people why don't they take them back, after all they sent them there, or are they in fact content with having them placed inside these countries as fifth columnists and thus being able to use their situation, brought onto by themselves, as a paw against the Baltic nations on the international scene? When a country like Russia claims that it is worried about fascist tendencies in the Baltic nations, portraying these countries as a threat against their own security, any reasonable human being ought to come to the conclusion that this has more to do with Russian delusions than with anything going on in the Baltic countries.
    I agree. It just goes to show you how much of this has to do with politics and the like. I was also under the impression that Russia does not really like the U.N. They claim that they want only to denounce fascism but in reality- they are only saying so for all the wrong reasons anyway. Russia has openly threatened countries like Estonia and Latvia. Russia openly denounces them for erecting monuments to SS legions (Baltic countries veterans-known as criminal Nazis to Russians no matter what) and removing old painful reminders of Soviet occupation. I also think that in 1950 the US Commission of Displaced persons rules that the Waffen-SS from the Baltic States are not qualified as 'Germanic' SS and not hostile to the US. Many such people settled in the states and somone I know met one (a Latvian) in New Jersey years ago.... I'm glad to see these countries don't bend so easily like so many others probably would.

Estonia and Latvia (I suppose Ukraine to a lesser extent) are all countries that have done pretty well economically- all things considered. By this I mean you can refer to other former Soviet republics, which still long after independence, have not been able to really recover from all the years under Soviet rule. Ive also heard a lot about these violent neo-Stalinist Russian minorities living in these countries. From what I have heard, they sound equivalent to rioting vandals and are always screaming about how their country supposedly hates them all for rejecting their history, culture, etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast