Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    258 Posts

Religious Conversion and Proselytism

What is your view on religious conversion and proselytism? Is it desirable? Does your religion preach conversion?
    Here from Wikipedia on that:

Christianity and Islam are major religions which emphasize the desirability of conversion. Buddhism has done so historically, and still witnesses modest levels of missionary activity. (Many Buddhists hold multiple religious identities.) Judaism allows in-conversion, but generally does not encourage it. A few sects of Hinduism promote the possibility of "becoming a Hindu" (or a Brahmin), but their stance does not meet with wide acceptance in Indian society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_conversion

Most heathens are against conversion as far as I'm hearing. I'm Lutheran but I'm not very religious and my view isn't to convert everyone to this religion. In my view it should be a personal choice of everyone if they want to convert or not. Anyway, if you think conversion is desirable, how do you think the mass conversion could take place? By missionary work and promotion of your religion, or by force - "by the sword"? In your view, is it acceptable to convert by force, if the religion is a "right" one and it's "best" for the people?

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    I have nothing against people converting from one faith to another. But conversion from Christianity to lets say Islam, is very unusual in the US except among Negroes & their brand of Islam is usually very... Negrofied. Like their versions of Christianity. The Nation of Islam excepted, it being very militant. My problem with proselytizing is when people make a nuisance out of themselves. I recently mentioned Mormon missionaries in another thread, how they generally will not come to your home uninvited to try & convert you. Versus the Jehovah Witnesses who will knock on your frontdoor & talk your ear off going on about (the Jehovah Witness view) about God's plan for humanity. You cannot not get rid of those people without being rude.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Æmeric For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2009 @ 09:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Niedersachsen , gijon
    Subrace
    Nordic amd Ibero-Celtic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    not happy to be divorced
    Occupation
    All ways working
    Politics
    Community Volkisch
    Religion
    Old Religion - European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Conversions

Convert into what? islam Christianity and Judaism are all the same to a great extent. Patriarchql religions spawned in the deserts of the Middle East, To switch from one male angry god to another is not a "conversion of any kind to me, but sort of a lateral move from one state of religious confusion to another.

However-from the Judaeo-Christian traditions, judaism seems to have the best policies compared to the other two.Incomming the jews say- "You better be ready to be rejected, and you have to really want it and have a good reason to want it", (getting married to a jew with money or without money is not a good enough reason, foe example. as far as conversions out, the jews say, "go play convert all you want, you are still jewish by our book, so the day you come to your senses just show up at the Synagogue".

The jews also have a lot of respect for converts and take them seriously. This contrats with the catholics who forced Jews to convert. Since many jews were forced to convert many went back to their religion in secret and were then persecuted by the Church Autorities.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 7th, 2012 @ 08:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    Heruskoz
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    California California
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Aspiring Author
    Politics
    Tycho Brahe Party
    Religion
    Psychonautics and Cosmic Law
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It depends on the details of the conversion. I was raised in a Christian household, at least in morals since we never went to church or prayed or any of that, but I never considered myself Christian. I was born with a heathen heart, but it was not awakened until I stumbled upon the Norse myths two years ago.

To me, I was never converted, but for someone to say they're a Christian, then say they're a Buddhist, then say they're a Heathen, then say they're Atheist just doesn't seem right to me. My so-called "best friend" did this, and he eventually stabbed me in the back, but that's another story.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 25th, 2010 @ 10:30 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Schlesien, Brandenburg, Burgenland, Sicilu- Norman
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    State
    Burgenland Burgenland
    Married, happily
    Politics
    Capitalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I don't mind Christian proslytism per se, but that's because I've always found enthusiasts interesting to speak with. If the mood strikes me and they seem loving and sincere, I'll pray with them, too. They are very moved by this sort of thing, and it's nice to know I've made their day. But if they come off like Pauline zombies I don't want to know.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreis AnnA For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The one I was raised in didn't have missionaries but allowed conversion.

I find the missionaries annoying, people should be allowed to find their own path on religion.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    258 Posts
    I'm very annoyed when I walk calmly on the street, minding my business, and some "missionaries" come and stop me to read me from the Bible or from some publications they have which look like magasines. I tell them I have no time, and they follow me and insist. Sometimes they knock at all doors from a building. I'm not sure what they're exactly, Jehova's witnesses, Baptists or something like this. I never ask, I just want to be left alone. I'd prefer it if they just put brochures in the mailboxes or something like that, instead of bothering the people. Then who is interested could come to their church to learn more and who isn't could just throw away the brochures.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 08:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    At the moment my university is under seige from a plague of young good looking men in suits with little black name badges saying Jesus Christ on them (mormons?) Now I'm not sure which denomination they are but I find it hightly irritating to be constantly stopped and asked "have you found Jesus" despite the fact that I wear a hammer, grr. There is no polite way of avoiding/escaping them and even if I were thinking of converting they would certainly have put me off.
    I believe in conversion but it should be on the individuals back to discover the correct path for themselves, if someone asks about Heathenry I will answer and if I know someone floating around in the mists of ecclectic paganism I will endever to stear them in the "correct" direction but I would never do so to random strangers in the street.
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It doesn't bother me either way. Like Kreis AnnA, I often find the enthusiasts interesting to speak with. I've definitely been known to invite traveling proselytists in for a quick chat, just to see what they're all about (this has been known to drive my wife crazy). In my neck of the woods all I encounter are variations of Christian proselytism. It usually turns out that they often don't know very much about the foundations of their religion (the Mormons being an exception). I never argue, because my beliefs are usually pretty foreign to their world view and I have no interest in converting any body (people should/will come to their own conclusions anyway). I've done this since I was in my adolescent years and it would drive my mother crazy too. She would hear what I was up to and would stand in the kitchen yelling, "Just tell them we're Catholic and tell them to leave!" (I was raised Catholic). At other times, I just explain to them that I don't have the time right then and take whatever literature they're peddling.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    North Baltic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts
    I don't want to be converted to any non-Germanic culture: Their traditions and rituals are alien to me, but don't mind sharing ethics and morals with others. Similarly, I don't want others to LARP as Germanics. I can accept descendants of the Volkerwanderung in European countries into the Germanic framework if they discard their later cultures and solely prize or cherish Germanic heritage. That is how Skadi in some ways used to be. Yes, time and space has changed people, but honoring Germanic ancestors is what we should do. I would not presume to turn away those who want to get their roots back and do away with what non-Germanic stuff they refuse to associate with any longer. I think it's better to let those with intense interest make the most of it, even if it seems going on quite a limb to do so. I guess this means that the Bernadottes in Stockholm perhaps may hone in on their Frankish or Visigothic descent for understanding the Swedish folk they rule for. The same with the new dynasty in the Crown Prince of Denmark. Loyality has a bit of plasticity to it, but enthusiasm is usually honest, whether deluded or not. Since I believe the original Indogermanics of Europe were Germanic essentially, there is some kernel of earnestness in most looking to the North for their inspiration. It's like the EU relying on Germany to get them though. Why dissuade them from finding the good in us? They've already been half-brainwashed to find us repulsive. I'd like to be grateful sometimes.