Thread: Christo-Heathenry?

Last Online
    Sunday, December 30th, 2007 @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here is my take on things...

Studying many different religions is always a good thing. Practicing many different religions is nearly impossible.

Most religions are rooted in cultures which have values that are incompatible with one another.

Judaism= Eye for an Eye
    Christianity= Turn the Other cheek, give to Caesar what is Caesar's
    Heathenry= Meet your enemies in the field, do not be burned in your home, defend your folk , etc
    Judeo-Tradition = male-circumcision
    African/Islamic-Tradition = female-circumcision

Etc.

I believe in the interconnectedness of interconnected religions... I believe all monotheist-abrahamic religions are interconnected with the other monotheist -abrahamic religions.
    I believe all pantheist religions are interconnected with pantheist religions.
    I believe all polytheist religions are interconnected with other polytheist religions.

I personally believe that the connections between differing types of worldviews and faiths were forced and do not truely exist... for example, the replacing of european gods with christian saints in order to slowly and gradually make the transition from a polytheist society to a mono-theist abrahamic one.

I would say it is alright for a person to study more than one religion but I don't believe it is possible to actually practice more than one style of religion. I could see how somebody could incorporate more than one religious tradition or ritual into their life but I do not see how anyone could fully actually practice two complete religions.

Studying and practicing are two different things.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 07:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    UK/Continent
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My blunt take on things.

If you want to be a Christian, then be a Christian.

There is no "mixing" of heathenry and Christianity, as it defeats the point of both.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 30th, 2007 @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Being that Yggdrasill/Irminsul literally IS what a mono-theist would view as being GOD... it doesn't make sense that you could believe in both religions.

The world-tree always is , always was, and always will be
    but....
    it doesn't speak,
    it doesn't interact,
    it doesn't judge

Compare that to a being that always is, always was, and always will be
    that speaks
    that interacts
    that judges

.... incompatible worldview.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambiorix
    Being that Yggdrasill/Irminsul literally IS what a mono-theist would view as being GOD...
    I've heard that before, people equating Yggdrasil (alt. ON Læráþ) with the 'supreme being'. It makes sense in a way. Yggdrasil is a living entity which holds everything in together, but isn't necessarily conscious.

Here's a good article on the World Tree from the Irminic Lore Study Page.

Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 08:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    anglo-welsh
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    History Teacher
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    Asatruer/Vanatruer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cyfarchion

Well done to you if you cn reconcile both christianity and heathenry. I don't necessarily see the problem as coming from the heathen side. After all the christian god would have been just one extra god and guess our ancestors realised that there were many gods they hadn't even heard of and the idea of another one would have meant little out of the ordinary to them.
    You have clearly read the bible a great deal and I applaud whatever interpretation that you make. That is how religion should work. If you were a christian several centuries ago then you would have lots to think about as you were taking in large lungfuls of smoke, trying to suffocate before your feet started to burn. Thou shall have no other gods but me was what I think the message was. If you want to sign up to the idea that there are other christians out there that are nearer your lord than you are (pope, archbishop of Canterbury, cardinal this, father that, the reverend this, arch deacon that) then best of luck.

wasshael

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Koos and I "rassled" over this question before, and I was not sufficiently careful enough in that discussion, so I want to be very upfront about my motive here: I do not hate christians and I do not make fun of them. So what follows is neither an expression of hate nor a poking of fun. Truly. And to query is not at all the same as to attack.

Although some heathen practices have infused into christianity (e.g., the date of Easter is a lunar-cycle event, the Yule tree), I cannot see how anyone can claim devotion to both and still be heart-true to either.

For instance, I can't see how anyone can reconcile the intrinsic monotheism of christianity with the intrinsic polytheism of heathenry. Friends, ONE and MANY ain't the same thing! You can have no god(s), or you can have many gods, or you can have only one god--but you can't logically have both ONE god and MANY gods at the same time in the same way. It's like claiming you're a god-fearing atheist!

So I cannot see how a christian can be a polytheist and still truly be christian. A heathen could, I suppose, recognize Jesus as a god, but then we're into the problem of why someone of germanic blood and heritage NEEDS to adopt a foreign (jewish/arabic) god into a faith that isn't lacking in gods or divine qualities.

And then there is the phenomenon that every discussion of this sort ends up with christianity being somehow superior (witness even the name of this thread!)

Kierkegaard is right about this: no matter what your faith, you're required to leap into it. The strange and contrary impulse to make a sort of religious vinaigrette seems to me to be an admission of...cowardice is too strong a term...tentativeness (?) I think is better. You might not know that your faith is well-placed, but by thunder at least be willing to leap without reserve.

But if you're feeling the pining of your own blood to abandon an alien faith and rejoin your ancestral domain, then leap confident that the gods of the North yet live.

:ansuz:

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Christo-Heathenry

I want to consider only the, to me rather bizarre, notion of admitting Yeshua ben Miriam to the pantheon of Norse gods. It is a matter of values. I find nothing in common between the world view implicit in the teachings of Yeshua and that of the Norsemen.

Can anything be more antithetical to the Norse world-view than the teachings of the Beatitudes ? When did the northmen ever esteem meekness, humility, and poorness of spirit ? When did they ever despise wealth ? Can you even imagine a Norseman's turning the other cheek after being smitten by a troublemaker ?

Such teachings had no place in the Norse world view and it is inconceivable that their teacher could be accepted as one among the Norse gods.

Last Online
    Saturday, October 24th, 2009 @ 12:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I find I'm in much agreement with those who find synchronism and/or agreement between Norse belief and Christianity an immense stretch of credibility, perhaps the fruit of wishing reality was different.

No, Jesus the Christ is not and could never be a member of the Norse pantheon.

and

Yes, the fundamental virtues of the Norse religion are antithetical to those taught by Christ and his apostles.

But, do I believe that Odin, Thor, Freja, Frigg, Loki, et. al. were real, living beings (demi-gods and goddesses)? Yes I definitely do!

Stay tuned.

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koos de la Rey
    But, do I believe that Odin, Thor, Freja, Frigg, Loki, et. al. were real, living beings (demi-gods and goddesses)? Yes I definitely do!

Stay tuned.
    Why "demi," Koos?

Last Online
    Saturday, October 24th, 2009 @ 12:54 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edenkoben
    Why "demi," Koos?
    Here's my theory. I've not heard it from any other Christians (which doesn't make my thoughts unique or clever ~ it may just mean I'm a silly old codger who has never understood as much as the church fathers forgot).

The following is from the Septuagint (Old Testament in Greek) which I believe is the most accurate translation, and is by the way the scripture used by Christ and the apostles and all early Christians.

This seems a bit wooden because it is a direct translation from Greek into English.

[From Genesis 6:1-4]
    "And it came to pass when many men began to become upon the earth, and daughters were born to them. And the sons of God were beholding the daughters of men, that they are good, that they took to themselves women from all of whom they chose. And the LORD God said, No way should my spirit stay with these men, on account of their being flesh; and their days will be a hundred twenty years. And the giants were upon the earth in those days. And after that the sons of God continually entered to the daughters of men, and procreated for themselves. Those were the giants, the ones from the eon, the renowned men."
    Then as you all probably know the Creator sent a flood and destroyed all living creatures except for the Noah family.

IMHO the "sons of God" were heavenly beings (angels?) who procreated with human females. The children of these unions were "giants" among men, the "ones from the eons [ages]" i.e., the ancient ones; and they were humans of "renown"[great fame] though out the earth. I believe that these half divine beings (thus "demi" Edenkoben) lived and ruled with (but above) earthlings for a very long time ~ They, I believe, were the gods & goddesses revered by the Greeks, Teutons, Celts, etc.

I could possibly speculate further, but I'm interested in you folks' opinions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast