Hunting the Enemy
    Religion
    Children of Tyr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Post Dad strangles raped girl for family's honour

I didn't realize that this was happening in Turkey. I forget that Turkey is mostly in Asia and seems to be something that happens regularly in Asia/Africa. Craziness.

Dad strangles raped girl for family's honour

April 29 2004 at 06:33PM

By Suzan Fraser

Ankara - Ignoring the pleas of his 14-year-old daughter to spare her life, Mehmet Halitogullari pulls on a wire wrapped around her neck and strangles her - supposedly to restore the family's honour after she was kidnapped and raped.

Nuran Halitogullari, buried on Thursday in a ceremony attended by women's rights advocates, is the latest victim of a long history of "honour killing", which the government is struggling to curb.

Each year, dozens of girls are killed in Turkey by relatives for allegedly disgracing their families, some for merely being seen speaking to men. The practice is especially common in Turkey's more traditional south-east, and among families who have migrated to big cities from the region.

'No reductions should be made'
    The killings also occur in Pakistan and some countries of the Middle East, where virginity and chastity are cherished, and among immigrant families in European Union countries like Britain and Sweden.

The EU, which Turkey aspires to join, is pressing the country to take steps to curb the practice it says is a violation of women's rights.

Parliament last year voted to raise the punishment for such crimes, which could bring as many as 24 years in prison. But a loophole in the laws allows relatives to escape with reduced sentences as light as eight years if they can prove they were "provoked" into committing the crime.

European countries want Turkey to ensure that family members cannot benefit from the reductions.

"No reductions should be made and everyone should know that such crimes will be punished and that no one can escape," Sweden's ambassador to Turkey, Anne Dismorr, said in an interview with the weekly Nokta magazine. "In our view the main cause behind the honour killings is the fact that honour is regarded as grounds for reduced sentences."

'Everyone should know that such crimes will be punished'
    Turkey has embarked on a major overhaul of its penal code and is expected to rectify the loophole, but the draft code is still weeks away from being endorsed. Some politicians on Thursday called on the government to immediately bring the issue to parliament.

Lawyer Senal Saruhan, a woman's rights advocate, fears, however, that the draft may not be enough stop the killings. She insists that family members who incite or encourage the killings should be punished alongside the perpetrators.

"Unless we bring severe punishments we will never stop these killings," she said.

Guldal Aksit, the minister in charge of women's issues, said legal arrangements alone would not stop the killings.

"These are not problems that we can solve on paper by changing laws. We need to educate society," she said.

Women's groups believe that a number of suicides among young women in the south-east are in fact murders perpetrated by family members who believe they are saving the family's honour. Often the youngest member of the family is forced to carry out the killings in the belief that a youth would get a less stringent punishment.

Newspapers said Halitogullari was abducted in Istanbul on her way back from a trip to the supermarket and raped over six days. She was rescued by police and returned to her family.

The murder came to light this week but it was not clear when it took place.

In a rare confession, Mehmet Hatipogullari told police that he and other relatives allegedly took the girl to an aunt's home where he strangled her, ignoring her pleas and her cries, Sabah said.

"I decided to kill her because our honour was dirtied," Sabah quoted the father as saying. "I didn't listen to her pleas, I wrapped the wire around her neck and pulled at it until she died."

He said he buried her body beneath a chicken coop, which upset his other children, and later buried her in a forest.

Sabah said Halitogullari also planned to kill his daughter's rapist.

On Wednesday, authorities charged two brothers with murder after they shot their sister in the head in her hospital bed, as she was recovering from an earlier attack by them. The 22-year-old woman was shot for having a child out of wedlock.

Last year, a pregnant woman who was reportedly stoned to death by her family after having an affair was buried in a pauper's grave after her family refused to bury her. - Sapa-AP

http://iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=...5B236&set_id=1

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 26th, 2005 @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Post Re: Dad strangles raped girl for family's honour

One wonders why Turks are surprised that they still haven't been admitted to the EU.

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, April 3rd, 2006 @ 09:17 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What a lovely practice! Kidnapped and sexually tortured for six days, and then murdered by her own father. My parents always tried to protect and console me, but what do they know?

Last Online
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Trickster God
    Politics
    Pro-Freedom, Pro-Skadi
    Religion
    seeker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and the politically correct liberals in this country want me to accept those savages as equals.

Any culture that condones this deserves to be crushed under the steel toe of teh American empire. Sadly my govt panders to these monsters.

Nicholas

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's things like this that make me proud to be an American. So it is dishonorable to have a raped daughter in the family, and it is honorable to have murderer in it? Honor my @$$.
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 30th, 2005 @ 11:12 PM
    Subrace
    Norðvestrid/NW. Nordid
    Country
    Occupation
    mom
    Politics
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will honourable give him the same treatmet as his daughter But, kill him with my hands the hands of a woman after several men from some prison get their sexual relief alleveiated by/from him.
    Im just miffed about this world sometimes

Last Online
    Monday, January 2nd, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Trickster God
    Politics
    Pro-Freedom, Pro-Skadi
    Religion
    seeker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elistariel
    It's things like this that make me proud to be an American. So it is dishonorable to have a raped daughter in the family, and it is honorable to have murderer in it? Honor my @$$.
    What gets me is that the mentality of rape being the womans fault is prevalent in the mid-east, asia, and africa. A freind of mine was yammering about teh enlightened Hindus. I reminded him that its the law for wives to throw themselves on their husbands funeral pyre. and its customary to commit female infanticide.

Enlightened my ass! Hand me a ball bat, I'll enlighten the lot of them!

Nicholas

Last Online
    Saturday, January 13th, 2007 @ 08:38 AM
    Subrace
    Intermarine (Arya)
    Country
    European Union European Union
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go ahead, be proud to be American. Nothing wrong with that, but as brutal as these incidents in Turkey might be, the things that go on in the States are no better.

Keep off, or I shoot!

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bocian
    Go ahead, be proud to be American. Nothing wrong with that, but as brutal as these incidents in Turkey might be, the things that go on in the States are no better.

Keep off, or I shoot!
    I'm very well aware of that. We have laws against that sort of thing. It's a shame they didn't address the issue much earlier. They should have addressed the issue at the first incident. I'm not saying Americans are better, but you don't see us waiting for example, 500 people to be murdered before we make killing illegal.
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Last Online
    Monday, June 6th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM
    Subrace
    Corded Pontid/Cro-Magnid
    Country
    Other Other
    Occupation
    Evil water sprite
    Politics
    laissez-faire
    Religion
    Impious free thinker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm very well aware of that. We have laws against that sort of thing. It's a shame they didn't address the issue much earlier. They should have addressed the issue at the first incident. I'm not saying Americans are better, but you don't see us waiting for example, 500 people to be murdered before we make killing illegal.
    Typical American reaction. And what makes you think that there are no laws against "honor killings" in Turkey? Do you seriously think that it is not against the laws, that it is not addressed? Please. Such unfortunate practices are mostly Eastern Anatolian "folk customs", in a land where a girl's price is calculated over her virginity and without it, she isn't worth much. These families who decide to clean their honor and get caught most certainly serve prison sentences. And does this work? Apparently not as it should, tradition, be it good or bad, is hard to break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast