Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would like to convert

Well, after a few years of grooving on the Earth i think i'm willing and ready to embrace the Viking religion...but i know absolutely nothing about it, really. I hear the words "Odinist", "Asatru", "Irmincraft", etc. being thrown around. Not sure what they really mean.

help! :runaway
    Tequila Sunrise

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 08:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Throw away the trappings of 'Viking' religion.

Sure the Vikings may have believed in it, but it is so much more than just the vikings. They may have been great heroes but there is so much more the the"religion" than just vikings.

Many were just humble farmers or merchants.

Germanic Heathenry is a term that better represents the whole better than just "viking" religion...

Depends on where your ancestry lies.

German? Irminenschaft. Norse? Asatru. English? Anglo-Saxon Heathenry.

Depends on you. But I would advise against believe 'Viking religions'.

:bub

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 @ 12:06 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    Single, looking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There are no words in the vocabulary of any language, that can explain the wonder and mystery regarding the Intelligent "beings" and spirits that we call Gods.So therefore imho there is no right or wrong definition. I see the Terms Odinist/Asatru/ Heathen, as pretty much the same thing in that they describe The pre-christian "old religion" as practiced by our ancestors.

The fact that the "vikings" as you put them recorded much of their belief in the written word, has lead to the misconception that the above said religion is a "viking religion " indeed.Prior to that period in time our ancestors relied more on an oral tradition. But our holy Folkway has existed for thousand of years before the Vikings came along.

I am glad the Folk soul within you has been stirred, it is a very rewarding path to take. There are some really good organizations promoting our faith. I would advise looking around and reading some of their material. There may be others who will offer you advice on which one ( if any ) to join. The best one I came across which felt right to me and Im now a proud member of is The Odinic Rite
    You can visit the ORs website here : http://www.odinic-rite.org/index2.html

Waes Hael and good luck!

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 @ 11:52 PM
    Occupation
    RN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can say, as a fairly new Odinist, that reading a book called "Living Asatru", by Dux Shetler, is a good start. It explains all the different Gods and Goddesses, the religion's start and who all played a role in founding Asatru, and the different bloats and holidays observed by Odinists/Asatruers. It is done in plain English, which I needed

Also, check out OdinLives.com There are broadcasts, that I listen to daily, that help give light to what Asatru is and some great websites to look into...

I am VERY happy for you and wish you the very best on your journey for knowledge. It is an enlightening and life-changing one! And, too, you have a great group of people here ready, willing and able to help you!!!!!
    "I can stop trying to discover shortcuts or easy answers to why I feel dissatisfied at times. I am the only one who can make changes, right here and now."
    Dr William Brown

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2007 @ 02:57 AM
    Occupation
    Naval Security
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with everything Wodenschild said. Here are some more links for you:
    www.runestone.org
    www.asatru.org

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alrighty. Germanic Heathenry, cool. Thanks for the links, guys, and i will pick up that book ASAP Freya, thank you.

I've got work soon so i can't do much sniffing around right now TTYL, guys. :bub
    Tequila Sunrise

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Glad to hear you're interested TheSmokyGod! :wunjo:

I wouldn't worry too much about the differences between Asatru, Odinism, Irminenschaft, Theodism, etc. right now. These are all different expressions of one religion. It would be good to focus on what these all have in common with each other. Most heathens in Vinland call the faith Asatru even if they combine aspects of the other sects.

Freya3 recommended "Living Asatru" which is a good introduction. That was the first heathen book I read in fact. Its very small and basic but it gives a very good introduction.

To begin with I'd recommend memorizing the Nine Noble Virtues:

Courage, Honor, Truth, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Perseverence, and Self-Reliance.

Get a good grounding in lore. Get a copy of the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda. A great book which includes all the stories is "Norse Myths" by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Another good one is the "New Edda" by Wayland Skallagrimsson.

Folkist mentioned the runestone.org site which is the Asatru Folk Assembly homepage. You might want to check out the Asatru Primer on that site.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquil

I wouldn't worry too much about the differences between Asatru, Odinism, Irminenschaft, Theodism, etc. right now. These are all different expressions of one religion. It would be good to focus on what these all have in common with each other. Most heathens in Vinland call the faith Asatru even if they combine aspects of the other sects.

Freya3 recommended "Living Asatru" which is a good introduction. That was the first heathen book I read in fact. Its very small and basic but it gives a very good introduction.

To begin with I'd recommend memorizing the Nine Noble Virtues:

Courage, Honor, Truth, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Perseverence, and Self-Reliance.

Get a good grounding in lore. Get a copy of the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda. A great book which includes all the stories is "Norse Myths" by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Another good one is the "New Edda" by Wayland Skallagrimsson.

Folkist mentioned the runestone.org site which is the Asatru Folk Assembly homepage. You might want to check out the Asatru Primer on that site.
    i'm taking notes! Thanks guys, this is very helpful!
    Tequila Sunrise

Last Online
    Friday, August 1st, 2008 @ 03:11 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquil

I wouldn't worry too much about the differences between Asatru, Odinism, Irminenschaft, Theodism, etc. right now. These are all different expressions of one religion. It would be good to focus on what these all have in common with each other.
    TheSmokyGod,
    The only difference I would worry about is knowing which is Folkish and non-Folkish. Our Folkish Asatru/Odinism is more of the true path vs. the non-Folkish (WiccaTru, "the Troth", etc.) which concentrate more on politics, looking good in the eyes of the public (being PC), and the most important factor: they stress anti-Heritage & anti-tradition.

Consider these orgs as good guidance:
    www.runestone.org
    www.asatru.org
    www.odinic-rite.org/index2.html

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think all the resources that have been mentioned are good ones. I also like the Ango-saxon heathenry site that is linked at the bottom of BuB and Expanding Inward-a heathen blog. Less folkist but not antifolkist in my opinion. Here are some of his writings on the Nine Noble Virtues.

Doing some reading up on runes seems like a good idea. Not nessasarily for divination or magic but general knowladge. I think Edred Thorson has written on it pretty well.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast