NS
    Religion
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

School power to search for knives

Head teachers will also be given guidance on how to use airport-style metal detectors to screen young people.
    Metal detectors in schools???!!! Can anyone believe how awful things have become these days?
    I'd be interested to know what you think are the reasons behind this rapid demise in behaviour which has happened in Britain. Personally, i think that a big part of the blame can be put at the door of all this (c)rap music, black american culture which glamorises violence. After all, isn't that where this whole 'hoodie' thing came from...?I know that in many parts of England, it's definitely black gangs which are causing problems, but here in Scotland, it's white trash who are causing the problems; 'bravado' plays a big part, they like to think of themselves as 'hard men' (the girls too :eek ), when in actual fact, they're just useless cowards,especially alone and without their cronies.
    I haven't felt safe here for a long time. I've been in Australia a few times, and i've seen how much more 'civilised' kids there seem to be, and i'm not scared to be in the vicinity of a school during breaks, like i am here!:runaway

Schools in England have been given the legal right to search pupils who are suspected of carrying knives.

Head teachers will also be given guidance on how to use airport-style metal detectors to screen young people.:O

The guidelines state that a pupil can be refused entry to a school if he or she refuses to be screened.

Education Secretary Alan Johnson said knife-carrying in schools was rare, but it was illegal and a message it would not be tolerated must be sent out.

I think parents will welcome the clear message that bringing a weapon into school is a criminal offence
    Education Secretary Alan Johnson

He told the BBC: "What happens at the moment is that if a teacher suspects a child of carrying a knife they have to call the police and wait for the police to arrive before that child can be searched - unless the child agrees to be searched.

"By that time any weapon they are carrying may have been passed on."

Under the new guidelines trained staff, authorised by the head teacher, would be able to carry out searches.

Crucially, a search should never take place where there is any risk to staff or pupils.

They also explain how best to screen pupils, suggesting that randomly selected groups of pupils could be searched in order to send out a strong message of deterrence.

But it also sets out limits for schools, in that suspicion has to be reasonable and not based on stereotypical images of certain groups of pupils.

Appropriate training

Two members of staff should be present for a search and both must be the same sex as the pupil.

And students can only be required to remove outer clothing, such as coats or jackets.

Mr Johnson said teachers themselves had asked for the powers but added that the main way to keep knives out of our schools is to continue educating young people about the dangers associated with them.

"I think parents will welcome the clear message that bringing a weapon into school is a criminal offence and will not be tolerated."

But he added: "Let's not exaggerate how our schools look at the moment our schools have a very low proportion with any problem at all with pupils bringing in weapons.

"The Youth Justice Board survey told us that, Ofsted told us that and head teachers and teachers tell her that.

"Lets not exaggerate this into saying our schools are some kind of ghetto from central Manhattan or the Bronx."

National Association of Head Teachers spokesman said it was the job of the police to search individuals for weapons.

'Fully prepared'

"They are trained and have the appropriate body armour.

"Our advice to our members will be to call for police assistance should they suspect that a weapon is being carried."

General secretary of the NASUWT union, Chris Keates, welcomed the new powers, but said searches must be conducted properly by appropriately trained staff.

"However, all schools will still need to consider how they will be incorporated into their policies and procedures to ensure that they are prepared fully should the need arise.

"There is a clear role for local authorities and the local police in supporting and advising schools in this process."

The Teacher Support Network said in the past year its support line had handled 175 calls regarding behaviour management, 30% of which were concerned specifically with violence, abuse and threats.

"Giving teachers facing these issues the power to stop and search pupils may make them feel safer at work though schools must exercise extreme caution," a spokesman added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...on/6704563.stm
    Love all living things whose humble task is not opposed in any way to yours, to ours: men with simple hearts, honest, without vanity and malice, and all the animals, because they are beautiful, without exception and without exception indifferent to whatever "idea" there may be. Love them, and you will see the eternal in the glance of their eyes of jet, amber, or emerald. Savitri Devi

Last Online
    Friday, August 1st, 2008 @ 03:11 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All more reason to home teach our kids! Why have our kids conditioned to the police state(ism)?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, September 12th, 2009 @ 11:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Occupation
    Student, works in Airport Retail
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Okay, first of all, why the hel are kids bringing knives and guns to school? It's just so insanely ridiculous. I mean, seriously. I wonder what they will be telling their grandchildren (if they ever get to live that long), about how they used to be one of the cool/gangster wannabe/brainless people.. Chances are that they just want to forget all about it, never wanting anyone to find out..

And then, if they DO have to have these metal detectors, why is it that the teachers have to do it? Won't that put them in an unpleasant position, and isn't it a waste of their time? Even though I must admit that having the police do the job, would make it even worse... I also think that instead of giving these criminals (or soon-to-be criminals) pleasant warnings, they should be slapped silly, be expelled from school and punished by a court. If the other idiots have any sense left they should hopefully be smart enough to leave their household cutlery at home, and start to behave. (I wish)...

I think the responsibility here lies with the parents. If they think it's fine to have their children running around with weapons/knives etc, well.. to hel with them. I'd certainly make sure that my kid wouldn't ever THINK of bringing weapons to school, and I can't understand how parents can be so blind. They either don't care about what their kids are doing, the kids are too smart for their parents, or the parents must have given up on their children. Either way, I just don't understand it.
    "I don't trust or love anyone. Because people are so creepy. Creepy creepy creeps. Creeping around. Creeping here and creeping there. Creeping everywhere. Crippity crappity creepies."
    -Vincent Gallo.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

School power to search for knives.

Well, now, there are knives and knives. When I was a kid [Oh, way back THEN] every boy carried either a penknife or a jackknife for whittling or playing mumbledy-peg, and if it was in his pocket when he went to school nobody cared. But, if I had tried to bring a Bowie knife or a dagger to school, I'd certainly be sent to the principal's office and required to surrender it. MAYBE, I could get it back after school, after a dressing-down, if I promised NEVER to bring it to school again.

All the time that I was in school, nobody EVER pulled a knife on anybody. It was considered actually indecent, like hitting below the belt. The difference, of course, is one of values. Who, if anybody, gives the kids moral values or standards of conduct these days ? Teachers aren't allowed to and they'll never get it from their absentee parents, both working to support an ostentatious lifestyle that they can't really afford.

Which is worse, surveillance and searches or murders and rapes ? Nowadays, that is what it boils down to. "Each new generation is a fresh invasion of savages." - Ernest Fremont Tittle This was said about 100 years ago, but it is truer than ever today.

If parents won't bring up their children to be civilised human beings, then that's how they'll have to be treated. They'll have to live in a police state.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pørdy Mountain
    Okay, first of all, why the hel are kids bringing knives and guns to school? It's just so insanely ridiculous. I mean, seriously. I wonder what they will be telling their grandchildren (if they ever get to live that long), about how they used to be one of the cool/gangster wannabe/brainless people.. Chances are that they just want to forget all about it, never wanting anyone to find out..

And then, if they DO have to have these metal detectors, why is it that the teachers have to do it? Won't that put them in an unpleasant position, and isn't it a waste of their time? Even though I must admit that having the police do the job, would make it even worse... I also think that instead of giving these criminals (or soon-to-be criminals) pleasant warnings, they should be slapped silly, be expelled from school and punished by a court. If the other idiots have any sense left they should hopefully be smart enough to leave their household cutlery at home, and start to behave. (I wish)...

I think the responsibility here lies with the parents. If they think it's fine to have their children running around with weapons/knives etc, well.. to hel with them. I'd certainly make sure that my kid wouldn't ever THINK of bringing weapons to school, and I can't understand how parents can be so blind. They either don't care about what their kids are doing, the kids are too smart for their parents, or the parents must have given up on their children. Either way, I just don't understand it.
    personally i would've carried a handgun in school if i could've.

You shuld see the shit in the USA, apparently the Constitutional rights against illegal search and siezure don't apply within school grounds. I had several arguments with my history teacher that my Constitutional rights DO fucking apply no matter where the fuck i am, but the dumb bitch just kept on going on about safety and other collectivist shit. Some things piss me off :
    Tequila Sunrise

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 08:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My principal actually told my friend and I we had no rights while on school grounds.

We quoted the Constitution to him and ended up with a detention. *Insubordination* FUN.