Thread: How do you experience the gods' communcation?

Last Online
    Thursday, March 4th, 2010 @ 01:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway, France, Scotland
    Subrace
    Nordid-Mediterranid?
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    mother
    Politics
    the white race
    Religion
    agnostic heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you experience the gods' communcation?

Since I am a newbie here, not just to the board, but also really just starting in heathenism, you will have to bear with me while I ask a lot of annoying questions!
    This one has been preying on my mind today while I was working in the garden:
    How do you experience the gods' communcation with you? Are there signs you simply can't ignore? Dreams? And also, when you first became a heathen (if applicable) did they speak to you in any way to tell you to follow the old ways and abandon Christianity (or any other foreign religion)? I would really appreciate thoughts and insight on this.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    How do you experience the gods' communcation with you? Are there signs you simply can't ignore? Dreams? And also, when you first became a heathen (if applicable) did they speak to you in any way to tell you to follow the old ways and abandon Christianity (or any other foreign religion)? I would really appreciate thoughts and insight on this.
    I didn't begin feeling the presence of the gods until about a year after I reverted to heathenry. Mostly I would perceive their presence through runework, faining, being in nature, and certain coincidences which would happen. To be honest I've never had much success with invocation or prayer as I was taught to do as a Christian. Whereas I seem to have better results by going someplace quiet and meditating on the god/goddess I'm trying to reach. I suppose a lot depends on the individual and the particular deity they are trying to contact, they say some are easier to reach than others.

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here are three from me:

1) The relevance of rune work. I don't mean that so much in a divination sense (I don't see much 'fortune-telling' influence there, thank goodness) but in reflecting the kinds of energies at work and required to move a situation in the direction I think is best.

2) A very brief but intense exposure to Odin's personality during a mid-summer ritual. I wasn't encouraged to abandon any faith; it was more like "Where have you been all this time?"--an obvious 'welcome home'. And then he turned back to his own tasks.

3) The communication with my ancestors through my Grandfather.

I don't think your questions are annoying; I think the answers might be annoying (mine, not Torquil's), because your own experiences are validation enough and my answers not.

By this I mean that there seem to be a lot of people who want to judge their inner lives in the same way they verify their outer lives. There are some people on BuB who argue eloquently and bravely that you can do this; I listen to them carefully and with the respect they deserve.

So far, I'm not convinced, mostly because I judge all my experiences as inner experiences and on whether I am convinced they are true, not whether their source is inner or external; you can't mix up the ruler and the thing measured. (There's a real interesting atheism thread on BuB worth looking at, imo; see http://www.blutundboden.com/forum/sh...asatruar).:bub

So the conversation I have w/my (dead) Grandfather and this one I am having w/you are both inner experiences. I verify the truth of each differently, but equally. Others disagree.

Bottom line: I think learning to trust your own experiences--and to be self-skeptical/not self-delusional--is our tradition and the cause of our resilience and strength...strong enough to reaffirm our Ways and resilient enough to endure centuries of genocide.
    :tree5:

Last Online
    Thursday, March 4th, 2010 @ 01:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany, Norway, France, Scotland
    Subrace
    Nordid-Mediterranid?
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    mother
    Politics
    the white race
    Religion
    agnostic heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thank you for the replies. I really am interested in other epople's experiences, perhaps because I lack the courage to trust my own. I do remember having a dream some years back when I was a teen and still a Christian. I dreamed I was digging and trying to find something. Odin was helping me (remember I was a Christian and yet I was dreaming of Odin!) I found a beautiful sword. I don't remember much of the dream, but I look back now and I wonder if it was Odin tring to welcome me back. Perhaps the sword I found was the "lost" religion of my forefathers. I also always remeber as a child feeling as though a facesless figure in a dark cloak was standing guard near me. As amn impressionaable child brainwashed into Christianity, I interpreted this as the Christo-Judaic god, but now I wonder. Things from my past are sort of clicking now in retrospect.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I have long had dreams of the moon and a woman standing behind me guiding me in the dark. Not clearly any one but she is why I was a sophist when I was a christian. I feel HOME/HEARTH when I am on my families land in New York.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2007 @ 01:57 AM
    Occupation
    Naval Security
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have noticed coincidences in my lifetime that have caused me to step back and take notice as have other members of my kindred. I've considered many of these coinicidences to be omens. The exact situations I'm talking about are personal and irrelevant to other people because when the Gods show you something that could be considered an omen, it's meant for you alone. Other people might not understand, but it doesn't really matter because what you were shown was meant for only you to percieve.

In the old days, diviners would take auspices by observing the flight of birds or the movements of horses. Many modern diviners of a Heathen persuasion try to recreate these methods of divination. These projects have a lot of merit, but consider this: birds and horses were an established part of the world of our ancestors who lived in mostly rural areas. Many of us live in cities these days and our world is full of many different things. Can the Gods not communicate with us now through the proximity of other things like cars and billboards and songs on the radio? What about numbers? They pop up everywhere in our modern world and the Lore attaches much importance to them.

What goes for omens, goes for dreams as well, or waking dreams for that matter.

Runecasting is another matter. Whereas the taking of auspices is generally something that's a little more passive (you're being sent a message), runecasting is active (you're asking to be sent a message through the medium of the rune-lots). "Know how to ask them" -Hav. 144. Either way, we're still talking about a message sent to you from the Gods. Observe the reverence shown in Tacitus' "Germania" when lots were cast and the care given to the horses used in taking auspices. Take note of this verse:

"You will find runes, meaningful staves,
    very powerful staves,
    very strong staves,
    that the Ginnregin shaped,
    that the God Hropt carved."
    -Hav. 142

This brings me to another point: It annoys me to no end when people do rune-readings without the proper respect for what it is they are trying to do, i.e. attempting to recieve a message from the gods. The same goes for any sort of divine communication. Treat it with the respect it deserves. We're talking about the possibility of the mighty and holy Gods of our ancestors taking the time to communicate with you. We may not bow before our gods like the Christians, but we aren't their equals either. I've heard so many Wiccan and other Neo-Pagan types say things like "Oh, this or that god talked to me today. He's mad at me." or "I summoned this or that goddess." as if they were just calling a god over to thier house to play PS2 or something. You can rest assured that when a someone uses this tone when talking about divine communication, they're full of utter BS.

So ends my little rant. I hope you find some use of it.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 03:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybright
    I have long had dreams of the moon and a woman standing behind me guiding me in the dark. Not clearly any one but she is why I was a sophist when I was a christian. I feel HOME/HEARTH when I am on my families land in New York.
    whereabouts? Adirondacks, Catskills? Beautiful country out here, but no replacement for good ol' Michigan!

God i miss the Seventh Sea