Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Post Classify the girls of Las

http://www.lais.be/en_lais.php

Okay, tonight I am attend a concert by Flemish folk group Las here in Antwerp, so it be quite an event to see these girls in the flesh on stage...but let's see what do you make out of this threesome...but leave the smutty grins and insinuations out of your opinion, they're decent girls with a healthy moral and strong sense of dignity; when they heard I was coming along, they demanded a chastity belt for saveguarding any impudence emulating from my indefineable, taxating and unnerving smile...just a smile...

Jorunn Bauweraerts was born in Diest on February 7th in 1979. At the moment she's living in Kalmthout.
    Creative with words...
    During my wonder years I dreamed of becoming a writer. The course Word-Drama of the Art School was by all means a logical choice. I especially loved theatre, modern dance, photography, movie and Dutch. On the other hand, mathematics were my worst objects.
    After my secundary education, I studied Jazz singing for one year at the Ghent Conservatory. Close harmony, singing, piano were my favorites.

Learn from Daniel L.
    Sinad O'Connor has always been a controversial singer. Her cd "I do not want what I haven't got" was the first I ever bought. On our dbut cd my favorite song is "Zeven Steken".
    My big example in music is Daniel Lanois. I'd love to work together with him. Another wish of mine is a duet with Fleetwood Mac. And if a benefactor is willing to give me a one way ticket, I'm going straight to Nashville.
    My favorite instrument is still the voice. If I can find some spare time, I'll certainly study guitar and piano. As far as music is concerned I know for sure that I still have to learn a lot.
    Our performance at the Dranouter Festival '96 will always be printed on my mind as one of the highlights in our career. Everything was new. The atmosphere was incredible. The concert itself gave us all an enormous punch of energy. Boterhammen in het park '97 meant absolute rock bottom. Our performance was very bad, everything went wrong.

Fruit and pastas...
    Although I'm not at all an early riser, I try to have breakfast on a regular basis. It mainly consists of eating much fruit.
    I'm spending (too?) much time doing some cooking. In case you're having dinner with me, on the menu there are many mushrooms and all sorts of pastas.
    When I'm visiting a restaurant or a pub, I'm expecting a cosy atmosphere and delicious food. And of course, there has to be played good music.

Sskind vs. Largo Winch
    I like reading and going to the movies. My appetite for reading is not limited to literature. You may find me reading a book of Sskind ("The Perfume" is about the best I ever read) as well as the latest Largo Winch or XIII. I'm also a regular reader of magazines and newspapers. I alternately read Knack, De Morgen, De Standaard, Elle, Oor..
    Watching TV isn't quite my piece of cake. So I can't remember favorite tv programs at all. But I enjoyed watching movies like In the name of the Father and Thelma & Louise. And I could perfectly identify myself with the character Antje De Boeck played in the movie Daens.
    Emma Thompson is a magnificient actress in my eyes.

Confidence and inner self...
    Your looks aren't important. It can be nice, but it represents nothing compared with your inner self. Besides, the most important thing in life is confidence. To achieve your aims, you must have faith in yourself in the first place. But at the same time take care to surround yourself with people whom you trust.
    Backbiting and gossip are to me the biggest forms of waste of time. Melancholy is a feeling that's familiar to me. And, probably as most people do, I sometimes believe in a life after death. At the moment this matter doesn't keep me awake. Maybe I'll think about it more thoroughly later.

Annelies Brosens was born in Brasschaat on November 10th 1979. In the morning she adores a South African breakfast. When she's going on restarant she has no favorite dishes. Important to her is a relaxed atmosphere. And the food must be delicious ("vry delicious") of course. In her free time, she likes to do as she pleases.
    Singing and studying
    Just like most children I had the wildest dreams and imaginations about my future. But I didn't have any well defined preferences at that time yet.
    At the Lemmens institute, during my secondary education, my favorite subject was singing. That particular subject didn't change at the Ghent conservatory a few years later. On the other hand, practical harmony wasn't quite my specialty at all.
    The rest of my career will be focused on three key words: studying, studying and... studying!

Keep on singing, for the rest of my life...
    I mostly like to listen to "feminin rock". The first cd I purchased was one of Tracy Chapman.
    My favorite instrument is the voice. I'm playing piano myself. I'd love to learn playing viola and hurdy-gurdy.
    Yes, I certainly have musical ambitions. My biggest ambition is to keep on singing all my life, even to earn my living with it. One of my secret wishes: to work together once with Emmylou Harris.
    I'm choosing "De Wanhoop" as my favorite song on the first Las cd.
    My favorite sentence from one on the Las lyrics? En zei: 'Gij prei, wat zult gij mij hier wetten komen zetten.'

Las - Spinal Tap vs. First Triumph
    During our years with Las we've been through a lot. The Brussels Concert at "Boterhammen in het Park" in 1997 was our very worst memory. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong or sounded out of tune.
    I undoubtedly retain the best reminiscences of the Dranouter Performance in 1996, an overwhelming experience and the first highlight of our musical career.

Unjustice and... Emma
    I can really get enraged with unjustice in all its forms. It can deal with the ever groing unjustice in the world. But it also concerns the unjustice in this country our in my street our village.
    ... But with my last money left I should buy a a present for Emma, Nathalie's daughter.

Actualise ancient music
    To foreigners Flemish is a strange language. Perhaps that creates an exotic effect. We like the Finnish band Vrttin as well, even if we don't understand a single word of it. Folk music characterises a well defined group of people and exceeds borders. It would be a sin that the language and the culture of so called European cultural minorities would vanish. By reviving the ancient music and rediscovering and calling attention to old songbooks, you carry out that culture. In Flanders this happens too few. That's why we'll keep on singing in Flemish.

Nathalie Delcroix was born on February 14th 1976 in Kapellen. Actually she lives in Antwerp. She has a three years old daughter Emma ( 1998), born a month before the release of "Las", the Las dbut cd.
    Art subjects and amazon women...
    As a child I dind't have any special dreams or wishes concerning my future.
    During my secondary school I specially loved the art subjects. I dind't come off well with subjects like mathematics, not really one of my favorite occupations.
    I continued my higher education by studying for kindergarten teacher.
    One of my favorite hobbies in my wonder years? Riding on horseback.

Making music in a cage...
    My special musical interest is in rockabilly and blues. I don't like reggae music.
    The first full cd I purchased was Tracy Chapman's "Bridges".
    My favorite instrument is the big bass. I play it myself.
    My musical ambitions are rather modest at the moment. I absolutely don't want to equal anyone. But I'd love to play in a church or in a cave. It would be a concert for at most 30 persons, friends preferably.
    My favorite song on the first Las cd is "7 Steken". Although it isn't a peaceful song at all. There's much bloodshed at the end of the song.
    The most perfect sentence from one of the Las lyrics? There are many. Let me keep it to 'Klaas die speelt nu op zijn fluit.'
    No, you don't need to look for double or hidden meanings...

Las - The Beginning
    In fact I joined Las by coincidence. I was just a friend of Annelies. I experienced the first big truimph of Las, the Dranouter performance in 1996, right in front of the stage, as a spectator. I was impressed. How those girls were singing, the way they melt there voices together to one beautiful, moving and thrilling sound, it immediately appealed to me. No, it never came to my mind that I should stand on that same stage a few years later.
    Jorunn and Annelies were friends of mine for quite a while, but I joined the band later. While we were going for a drive, Jorunn heard me singing. She asked me if I wasn't interested in doing an audition. At that moment I wasn't engaged in music at all. I had been present at some Las concerts, but I hadn't the slightest idea I was able to do the same. But my diffidence disappeared very quickly. Only two weeks after the audition we stood together on the stage.
    Particularly the beginning was tremendous. When we heard our single "'t Smidje" on the radio for the first time, we screamed for excitement. Hearing myself on the radio was one of my eldest dreams suddenly coming true.

With music you can influence people...
    With music you can can really achieve something. Excite people, but also heal them, touch them, make them glad.
    We work with the most essential musical instrument, the voice. All those emotional layers, the spirituality too, are part of the human being.
    The spirituality of Las can be compared with the spirituality of an appealing, beautiful picture or a touching poem.

Future - Back to the countryside?
    In a few years you might see me striding along through a meadow wearing an apron. Who knows? I'm from the countryside. A sheep in a meadow isn't peculiar at all to us.
    I live in Antwerp nowadays, but I have always lived in the country before. I suppose I'll go back there later to settle. It would suit me well, because I love vegetables and all sorts of cheese. No, no meat for me!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Post Re: Classify the girls of Las

Here is a caleiscope of some better pictures to pass judgement.

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Strong Mediterranid element with a bit rounded features and a bit lighter pigmentation from an Alpinid source.

The girl on left in picture 49 seem to have a Dinarid nose.

I see mainly Mediterranid characteristics, then Alpinid and minor Dinarid. I have a difficulty to see Nordid.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Typical Scandinavian bias

Yorunn would count as Tydal woman and much ligher that the dark-mixted type of Scandinavia.
    Annelies is North Atlantid with a Dinarid strain, although her face appears else too broad, accentuated by the gonial angles and deep-set eyes
    Nathalie is probably Keltic Nordic with strong Mediterrenean input, but overall the Med. strain is comparable to that of the Midlands in Britain.

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 09:17 PM
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frans_Jozef
    Here is a caleiscope of some better pictures to pass judgement.
    I would say that Annelies Brosens is an Atlantid, but Nathalie Delcroix and Jorunn Bauweraerts look more Mediterranid.
    Last edited by morfrain_encilgar; Thursday, April 29th, 2004 at 04:02 PM.

Last Online
    Friday, December 8th, 2006 @ 02:25 AM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

No bias . I would have said it if I really thought there is Nordid there.

Looks like we pretty much agreed. Maybe you could then change Alpinid for Tydal. Sweden received Alpinid or Tydal-like individuals from the Walloons. As for Keltic Nordic, I think that is being misused quite a lot.

I did not see much of Mediterranid in England. Such a person stick out. Another issue is if you find someone in England who look predominantly Mediterranid and then you find out that they have some Spanish or Portuguese ancestry. Those individuals cannot represent England as the Mediterranid is probably from the foreign source.

Whatever that is Mediterranoid (inasmuch that you could call it Nordoid, after all, they are all conventions) in England is Atlanto-Mediterranid (according to Coon more common in Wales) which I think correspond more with Lundman's North Atlantid than Coon's Keltic Nordic. They can be quite big and tall with often light eyes and relatively fair skin.

I would compare it with SW Europe. In my humble opinion these women look more what I would except in Southern France or Northern Iberia. Let us see what the Spanish members on the board say.

Do you select more Mediterranid Belgians or do you show them because you think that they are good anthropological representatives for Belgium?

Quote Originally Posted by Frans_Jozef
    Typical Scandinavian bias

Yorunn would count as Tydal woman and much ligher that the dark-mixted type of Scandinavia.
    Annelies is North Atlantid with a Dinarid strain, although her face appears else too broad, accentuated by the gonial angles and deep-set eyes
    Nathalie is probably Keltic Nordic with strong Mediterrenean input, but overall the Med. strain is comparable to that of the Midlands in Britain.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volksdeutscher

Do you select more Mediterranid Belgians or do you show them because you think that they are good anthropological representatives for Belgium?
    There are good representatives of a certain racial unit of the Belgian population and comparable to the Atlanto-Mediterreneans in SW Europe as good as on the British Isles.
    You hardly will find Iberid types, besides the Mediterreneans are not only proportionally small but common to specific places in Belgium.
    Often located in East and West Flanders where they are mixed with Alpinids and/or Borreby strains, I think Joris van Severen(see my thread:
    http://www.forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=9810)
    is a good example of the nordiform Atlanto-Mediterrenean in Flanders, though the *Subnordics* figure more strongly among us, the Faelid with thin,pronounced and slightly beaky nose emphasizes the sturdy, tall and thick-set element in our country more than proper Alpinids, which are characteristically tallish and blond.
    Antwerp and surrounding has its fair share of red-haired and ruddy blond Bruenn types, however it's more distributed among the fair sex than in males.
    The Nordics are also very commonly present, the present and next generation of children over here have never been so fair-skinned and blond as before.
    Dont forget that the Belgian population is genetically close to East Anglia, a Nordic stronghold in merry England, so that we should take the Scandinavian bias towards our little nation-state with a liberally taken grain of salt.
    Furthermore, again look upon the thread in the Dutch section, Flanders have been for a long period of time dominion of the Frisians.
    Very observingly you mention the Dinarid presence in Belgium, bear in mind that during the ancient Bronze Age our country was mainly populated by Nordids and Alpinids, while the Northern Netherlands, Fryslan and Low Germany belonged to the Dinaroids of the Bell Beaker group.
    The latter can be segregated in many subracial strains, but if you agree that the Frisians have a beaky nose, it might have been evoked in the Southern Netherlands by these Frisians, which explains why proper Dinarids are rare to absent.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The Flemish are the most Latin of Germanics, likewise the Walloons and Franconians are the most Germanic of Latins.

The denouement of our nature and character is that we have a Burgundian lifestyle but in the core of our soul we are as reserved and stern...as ...Scandinavians.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volksdeutscher
    Whatever that is Mediterranoid (inasmuch that you could call it Nordoid, after all, they are all conventions) in England is Atlanto-Mediterranid (according to Coon more common in Wales) which I think correspond more with Lundman's North Atlantid than Coon's Keltic Nordic. They can be quite big and tall with often light eyes and relatively fair skin.

I would compare it with SW Europe. In my humble opinion these women look more what I would except in Southern France or Northern Iberia. Let us see what the Spanish members on the board say.

Deniker colours a part of Belgium as predominantly North Atlantid, as well a piece of Franconian territory, Vallois and Montandon confirms its presence.
    So, why all the sudden are our AM/NA compareable with the Aquitaine type in the French Midi and the Westpyrenean type of Northern Spain, and not to the British lot?

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

They are all Atlantid in my terminology = Nordomediterranid = a phenotype produced by recent mixing of Nordid and Mediterranid or an intermediate type on its own.

This one
    http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachme...chmentid=11391

has stronger Borreby/Alpinoid admixture.

The other two are pred. Atlantid.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!