Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Big Brother Listening to You ?

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is Big Brother Listening to You ?

As everybody who uses a telephone answering machine (and that is just about EVERYBODY) is probably aware. most answering machines have a "Monitor Room Noise" function which can be activated by calling one's home 'phone number followed by a 2- or 3-digit access code. This is supposed to enable the caller to hear if the baby is sleeping or crying, or whether the kids are holding a wild party without the 'phone's ringing.

It has occurred to me that it is not only possible but very probable that there exists a universal code number which allows this function to be accessed on ANY answering machine. If so, it would be possible to eavesdrop on anybody within earshot of an answering machine without the person's being aware of it.

Such a marvellous opportunity would surely not be overlooked by the FBI, the CIA, the BATF, et al. Unlike wiretapping, it's probably not even illegal (not that THAT would or does deter any of the above agencies). I don't know how to determine if this is being done. The telephone doesn't ring, in fact the telephone isn't involved in it. It's the answering machine that does the dirty work.

There's something peculiar which occurs with wireless telephones, too, which makes me wonder what's going on. Even when the telephone is turned off and not mounted on its charger, three very faint "beeps" can be heard from the wireless 'phone at about 5-minute intervals. Now, what, I wonder, does THAT mean ?

Last Online
    Sunday, December 30th, 2007 @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think you have something there... I think you are right. :O

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You're probably right, Martin.

Well, I'm not a threat to our national security Perhaps to IN-ternational though...?

Last Online
    Monday, March 8th, 2010 @ 10:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    celtic
    Country
    England England
    radical democracy
    Religion
    atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Skyhawk................ no answering machine............. no worries
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Last Online
    Monday, June 19th, 2017 @ 10:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Oslo Oslo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wow. I didn't think it was normal to have answering machines. I can't recall anyone I know owning one.

But that sounds like a useful function for parents (and government :runaway ).

About the wireless phone-thing: Does this happen when it's in the charger too? I know that our wireless phone at least beeps every five minutes to tell us that "Hey, I'm not in my charger, guys. Put me back, eh?"

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Answering machines

Heavens, Ornendil. I never imagined that answering machines are so uncommon in Norway. :O Here in the US, they are nearly as common as telephones. In fact, I can't think of a single person I know who does NOT have an answering machine.

Perhaps you are also not as plagued by nuisance calls from telemarketers and fund-raisers as we are. My answering machine message sounds almost hostile unless one listens carefully and realises that it is directed at telemarketers and fund raisers.

"Hello. If you are a telemarketer or a fund raiser, hang up RIGHT NOW and NEVER call this number again ! :angry: On the other hand, if this is a legitimate business call or a personal call for [my name] , please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you."

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 @ 12:06 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    Single, looking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Egil Skallagrimsson
    Heavens, Ornendil. I never imagined that answering machines are so uncommon in Norway. :O Here in the US, they are nearly as common as telephones. In fact, I can't think of a single person I know who does NOT have an answering machine.

Perhaps you are also not as plagued by nuisance calls from telemarketers and fund-raisers as we are. My answering machine message sounds almost hostile unless one listens carefully and realises that it is directed at telemarketers and fund raisers.

"Hello. If you are a telemarketer or a fund raiser, hang up RIGHT NOW and NEVER call this number again ! :angry: On the other hand, if this is a legitimate business call or a personal call for [my name] , please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you."
    I dont use an answering machine for that very reason, 90% of the calls were what I regarded as nuisance calls. Now I am just plagued with doorstep callers, who cant seem to read the notice on my door that they are not welcome! . Incidentally just talking of Big brother is watching you, I read in the newspaper that The U.K. has 1% of the worlds population, but 20% of its cctv cameras!

Last Online
    Monday, June 19th, 2017 @ 10:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Oslo Oslo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Egil Skallagrimsson

Thankfully, we're not. Telemarketers are fortunately still very few around here, though they've been on the rise lately. And by registering ourselves in the Brønnøysund Registry, we can reserve ourselves from ever having them call. All marketers and fund-raisers have to check their name-list against the Brønnøysund Registry. I registered myself a month ago, after falling into the Mr.Music-trap. So if I get a call from one of them, they've broken the law. Nice, eh?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    celtic
    Country
    England England
    radical democracy
    Religion
    atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not everyone has an answering machine

I know this thread is about answering machines and their potential misuse as spies . But since it has digressed into marketing it has thrown up some other observations.

As you may have probably noticed , I am not a big fan of the consumer society. I am presently reading the book " Affluenza " which is an expose of the consumerism craziness in western societies ( and other parts of the world wishing to buy in to it ) and its link to depression and anxiety .

I think it a MUST read for most people here. Not because of its obvious attempt as an alarm call for the unaware but for its value in explaining the differing viewpoints between nations/cultures towards life in general .

The answering machine is a good example of this difference.

It has been seen in some societies as a necessary of modern life hence its almost universal appearance in the homes of those particular societies. Something to be replaced the moment it breaks.

Are they really that important ?

Considering that , not only is it an apparent source of anger due to its misuse by marketing companies ( also promoting other products that have been dressed up to appear equally necessary to modern life ) but it may , and probably will have , the eavesdropping facility.

It will be a suprise to members of such societies that other nations may not see the importance they seem to attach to these commodities.

The people from societies where the answering machine is not deemed a necassary of modern life (and thus its more sporadic appearance within those societies ) are spared both the anger of the telemarketers and the potential invasion of their privacy by spyware. Also they have enjoyed the financial benefit of never having had one or never having to replace one.

The reason why I have written this inane waffling is that the criticism directed at the , let's just say , worst effected nations of consumerism in the book " Affluenza " may be hard for some here to read. But the book is worth the grinding of a few teeth in the persuit of knowledge in my honest opinion.

Anyway, it's nice to see I'm not the only one here who doesn't possess an answering machine.

Who's got a dishwasher ? I'm beginning to feel left out in the world of commodities.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    celtic
    Country
    England England
    radical democracy
    Religion
    atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wodenschild
    I. Incidentally just talking of Big brother is watching you, I read in the newspaper that The U.K. has 1% of the worlds population, but 20% of its cctv cameras!
    It has been promoted by the state as a useful weapon against crime, yet we know all the criminals wear masks , or have hoods for cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast