Politics
    Earth base
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I read a book from the library called Waste: Uncovering the Global Food Scandal. It opened my eyes to all what you guys have been talking about. I have been making great strides into being friendlier to our earth.

As my kids all say "reduce, reuse & recycle"

Thanks for listening

warm wishes

Last Online
    Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 @ 11:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland/Norway/Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Machinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great thread.
    I was brought up by depression-era parents, and we didn't waste food.

But there's several facets to the waste issue.

In the US, one of the problems is the FDA. They mandate when foods have to be thrown out, even though they may still be good, and it HAS to be thrown out, not given away.

The second is greed. When I was young, I worked in a bakery. At the end of the night, we took all our day-old stuff and I borught it down to the homeless shelter (small town, we only had one). After about a year of working there, word came down from corporate that food was no longer to be donated. They thought that people were cooking extra (we weren't, we made the corporately mandated amounts for each day) and giving it away. They'd rather throw it away than give it away. Fast food was even worse.

Then there's the issue of being spoiled (the people, not the food). I save money by buying bulk and making large batches. That means I often eat the same thing for 3-5 days. People ask how I can do that. I dunno, man, it's just food. Eat to live, not live to eat. Or I'll make big batches and put some away in my big chest freezer.

Another good way to conserve is to grow your own vegetables. Once you put in all that work into growing something, you make sure not to waste it. Same with killing and butchering your own meat. The odd, nastier bits of meat get made into sausage, the rest gets cut up like you want. Bones get boiled untilt he meat comes off and stew gets made. After all that work, I don't waste it. Stuff I just can't make myself eat gets given to my dogs. Part of their reward in their help in the hunt, plus it's good for them to eat something other than dog food every now and then.

That's another thing that pisses me off. I've got some relatives that throw food away, but won't at least give it to their dogs. "I'm not cooking all this food to feed dogs." (Said in a derisive manner). I reply "Oh, you cook to feed the garbage can, eh?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12