Country
    England England
    Single, looking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Metal Heads Rejoice .

Ok, something I know anyway,after reading some of the posts by metal heads on these very forums. This from www.telegraph.co.uk .

Heavy metal 'a comfort for the bright child'
    By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
    Last Updated: 10:47am GMT 21/03/2007

Metal's bark is far worse than its bite
    Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressures associated with being talented, according to research

Queen guitarist Brian May has a degree in astrophysics.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.

Stuart Cadwallader, a psychologist at the University of Warwick, will present the findings at the British Psychological Society conference in York today.

He said: "There is a perception of gifted and talented students as being into classical music and spending a lot of time reading. I think that is an inaccurate stereotype. There is literature that links heavy metal to poor academic performance and delinquency but we found a group that contradicts that.

"We are looking at a group with lower than average self-esteem that does not feel quite as well adjusted. They feel more stressed out and turn to heavy metal as a way of relieving that stress.

"Participants said they appreciated the complex and sometimes political themes of heavy metal music more than perhaps the average pop song. It has a tendency to worry adults a bit but I think it is just a cathartic thing. It does not indicate problems."

The researchers surveyed 1,057 members of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth - a body whose 120,000 student members are within the top five per cent academically in the 11-19 age range.

Asked for their favourite type of music, 39 per cent said rock, 18 per cent R&B and 14 per cent pop. Six per cent said heavy metal and a third rated it in their top five genres.

The heavy metal fans in the study had lower self-esteem and more difficulties in family relationships and friendships.

Mr Cadwallader then held an online discussion involving 19 members of the academy, 17 of whom were heavy metal fans. They spoke of listening to bands including System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Dragon Force, Forward Russia and In Flames when they were in a bad mood and using it to work off frustrations and anger.

One student said: "It helps me with stress. It's the general thrashiness of it. You can't really jump your anger into the floor and listen to your music at the same time with other types of music."

Mr Cadwallader added: "Perhaps gifted people experience more pressure than their peers and use the music to purge this negativity."

Dan Silver, assistant editor of the music magazine NME who has worked for Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, said: "Many themes of heavy metal are about alienation. If you have these kinds of feelings there is a lot you can get out of the music and the community of fans who are into it."

Yeah, I know Brian May and the other bands mentioned arent classed as metal, but this article will obviously include Death Meatal and all the Other Genres discussed on these pages.

Last Online
    Monday, February 23rd, 2009 @ 11:06 PM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    Single, looking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Metal Heads Rejoice

Ok, something I know anyway,after reading some of the posts by metal heads on these very forums. This from www.telegraph.co.uk .

Heavy metal 'a comfort for the bright child'
    By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
    Last Updated: 10:47am GMT 21/03/2007

Metal's bark is far worse than its bite
    Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressures associated with being talented, according to research

Queen guitarist Brian May has a degree in astrophysics.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.

Stuart Cadwallader, a psychologist at the University of Warwick, will present the findings at the British Psychological Society conference in York today.

He said: "There is a perception of gifted and talented students as being into classical music and spending a lot of time reading. I think that is an inaccurate stereotype. There is literature that links heavy metal to poor academic performance and delinquency but we found a group that contradicts that.

"We are looking at a group with lower than average self-esteem that does not feel quite as well adjusted. They feel more stressed out and turn to heavy metal as a way of relieving that stress.

"Participants said they appreciated the complex and sometimes political themes of heavy metal music more than perhaps the average pop song. It has a tendency to worry adults a bit but I think it is just a cathartic thing. It does not indicate problems."

The researchers surveyed 1,057 members of the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth - a body whose 120,000 student members are within the top five per cent academically in the 11-19 age range.

Asked for their favourite type of music, 39 per cent said rock, 18 per cent R&B and 14 per cent pop. Six per cent said heavy metal and a third rated it in their top five genres.

The heavy metal fans in the study had lower self-esteem and more difficulties in family relationships and friendships.

Mr Cadwallader then held an online discussion involving 19 members of the academy, 17 of whom were heavy metal fans. They spoke of listening to bands including System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Dragon Force, Forward Russia and In Flames when they were in a bad mood and using it to work off frustrations and anger.

One student said: "It helps me with stress. It's the general thrashiness of it. You can't really jump your anger into the floor and listen to your music at the same time with other types of music."

Mr Cadwallader added: "Perhaps gifted people experience more pressure than their peers and use the music to purge this negativity."

Dan Silver, assistant editor of the music magazine NME who has worked for Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, said: "Many themes of heavy metal are about alienation. If you have these kinds of feelings there is a lot you can get out of the music and the community of fans who are into it."

Yeah, I know Brian May and the other bands mentioned arent classed as metal, but this article will obviously include Death Meatal and all the Other Genres discussed on these pages.

Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 21st, 2011 @ 04:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Re: Metal Heads Rejoice

I somewhat agree with that study. Most teenagers in my old school who listened to metal were definitely more 'switched on' and politically engaged than those who listened to drum & bass, dance, rap or hip-hop.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2007 @ 09:01 AM
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Pontid
    Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Religion
    Slavic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree fully. I myself listen to metal and have experienced time and again how it hardens my resolve.
    What's more, I experience my peers' passivity every day - they mostly listen to mtv rubbish -, whereas much of those who do "give a damn" listen to metal (not all of them do, though, of course).
    Thumbs up for metal

Last Online
    Thursday, July 15th, 2021 @ 01:55 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Cartographer
    Politics
    Nordish Seperatist, Moderate
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

In a way, I feel this is rather unfortunate.

It's too bad our most gifted kids tend to have low self-esteem and don't feel so well-adjusted.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kith of woden View Post
    OThey spoke of listening to bands including System of a Down, Slipknot, Tool, Dragon Force, Forward Russia and In Flames
    Too bad they didn't talk about real metal bands, though. This is hardcore pop for early- to mid-teens, leaning toward homosexual practices and leftists tendencies. I bet that if they have had more serious metallers interviewed, the IQ gap between these students and average ones would have been greater.
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

hearthtender
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Nine inch Nails and the Cure helped me cope with being different as a teen. I still listen to both. The Cure's album Disintigration still helps me cope with pain weither physical or other. I have seem similar studies dealing with the goth subcluture. Teens who were depressed were less likely to self injure or use large abounts of drugs/alcohol if they are goths than not. There is something to be said for knowing that you are not alone. Especially if you are not interested in the surface of things.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Monday, February 23rd, 2009 @ 11:06 PM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    Single, looking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well ive never listened to Nine Inch Nails, but I like the Cure and bands like Echo and the Bunnymen and The Smiths. This type of music often cheered me up in my adolescence altough most of my peers deemed it depressing .Ive never been a "Goth" so cant comment. As far as heavy Metal goes I like some and some I cant get into, but generally I think that those who listen to alternative music look at music from a different view point, as opposed to the those who subscribe to the popular mainstream drivel served up as music in the charts. And therefore they , being diferent and alternative probably look at life in general in a different way too.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, July 5th, 2009 @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I agree that those who find metal comforting are on a higher level on some aspects of intelligence.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

AW: Re: Metal Heads Rejoice

I can only agree with that. The avarage intellect of the metalheads I know in real life and the internet is definately higher than the avarage intellect of the listerners of other music genres which might be caused by the broader spectrum of topics in the metal music which isn't just about love like most other music genres. Also metalheads seem rather politically interested. It's definately something that should be researched more in depth.

PS: well the most intelligent ones are still those who do not listen to music at all from my experience
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast