Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmares? Bad Dreams, or Recurring Dreams ?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Nightmares? Bad Dreams, or Recurring Dreams ?

Nightmares ?
    Bad Dreams, or Recurring Dreams ?

Why would anyone suggest that nightmares or anxiety dreams might be helpful? If you're in the half of the population that has experienced an anxiety dream or nightmare within the last month, then this may even be what you're wishing you could get rid of, right? Some people who had nightmares or recurring dreams early on in life even manage to block their dream recall entirely in order to stop being upset by such experiences. This unfortunate view of "bad" dreams as things to avoid is precisely the reason for the above title and for this article. An avoidance or denial approach is much like putting a Band-Aid on a car's blinking oil light because the light seems annoying. Of course, fifty or a hundred miles later, it would be greatly preferable to have understood the warning. Obviously, it's even better not to have the light blinking, but if it does, then it's important to do something about it since it's there for a good reason. One certainly wouldn't be very wise to disable it. Though perhaps not obvious, the simple fact is that most nightmares and almost all recurring dreams are similarly trying to provide an extremely valuable service to the dreamer. If we block them, we are likely missing their immediate benefit; if we remember but ignore them, we may well be missing the vital message that they are trying to bring us about our life.

read further:
    http://www.dreams.ca/nightmares.htm

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nightmares ?.................

All well and good, but what good are they if we don't know what they mean ? Who DOES know ? And PLEASE don't tell me the shrinks. They're just as much charlatans as the psychics who publish books on dream interpretation. (If dreams are supposed to be,e.g., about sexual conflicts, why the hell don't we just dream about sex ? Why all this nonsense about climbing towers, etc.)

As a child, I HAD to shut away my recurring dreams because they terrified me so. If I saw the symbol, a white chain, which indicated that one of those dreams awaited me, I would strive mightily NOT to fall asleep. Alas, it never worked.

For some reason, I could never bring myself to talk about them to anyone. (So, much good a shrink would have done me.) I suppressed them so well that I have almost no recollection of them except that they often involved fearsome black figures in silhouette against a magenta background and figures with the heads of cats (though I have never been afraid of cats).

My adult nightmares are not recurrent dreams, and, though they scare me, they do not cause the abject terror of my childhood dreams. My adult nightmares are mostly dreams about violence in which I am desparately fighting with a sword or a dagger against a similarly armed opponent, whom I always kill. I hasten to add that I am no swordsman and have never killed anybody.

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As for me, it's not terribly long since I had recurring dreams/Nightmares. EVery night I dreamt I was killed, brutally murdered, or as many would call it, slaughtered. I couldn't get myself to sleep, and therefore were awake for long days and nights... IT was perhaps the worst periode in my life, and I sure am glad it's over... Mostly because I became suicidal and constantly depressed...

And well, most people I asked, meant it was a sign I were going to die in the most horrible fashion. Well, I am alive and if I die, I die. Why should I be warned? I don't want to undo my death, it's a natural cycle, we live - we breathe - we die. That's the cycle of life, and nothing could ever change that fact.

Anyways, I am rather curious about where these recurring dreams come from, and do they really mean anything?

Last Online
    Thursday, April 21st, 2016 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I had a very close friend in school that had a dream everynight of a bit of leather being pulled from both ends with force and a pin or needle being pushed into it.As soon as the pin or needle passed through he would wake up and vomit right away.
    Improvement makes straight roads but the crooked roads without improvment are roads of genius-----
    William Blake

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nightmares ?.......

Arnt, I don't know if you've ever read Shakespeare's play, "Julius Caesar", but there's a line in it that I think you'd like. "It seems most strange to me that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 @ 08:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo Saxon
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Politics
    red-brown-green
    Religion
    Pantheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With students work being assessed, I sometimes wake up just with this thought of utter dread. :eek

I quite like my students but some of them are very lazy. It's not really 'bad dreams' as such, just this claustrophobic fear of failing that stops me from sleeping.

Sometimes if I have a dream that one of the cats is hurt, if I wake up I have to physically get out of bed, find it, and see if it's OK. :runaway
    "Only through a re-integration of Humanity into the whole of Nature can our People be made stronger."

Last Online
    Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 09:36 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have not seen nightmares in years. My dreams nowdays are pretty damn strange. One dream which i remember was about when someone flew a jumbo-jet to a nearby "scyscraper", then we watched the news and they told that they're now talking with the mastermind of the act. He was somekind of an arab sheik who told the reporters: "Well, i dont know really. We didnt have any good reason to commit this act actually. We just decided to try it out"
    And the "scyscraper" is around 70 meters tall or so on.. "mmkay"

Also my dreams have included one inch tall dwarfs which could fly! Those buggarts tried to stole my shovel and bucket when i was walking in a forest path.
    Last night i saw that someone was doing somekind of a magic ritual with statue head. Lot´s of this kind of stuff which probably make no sense. Should get somekind of a "dream" book to find out that what these dreams really could mean

So yes, i´ve woke up many times with "What the hell..." as the first thing in my mind

Ps. No, i dont do drugs

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs Down Nightmares ?

Well,

It seems that I had completely forgotten my "academic" nightmares, For example, it's one week before the final exam and I suddenly realize that I have covered barely 1/3 of the material in the course . What ought I to try to cover in the remaining week ?

I go into a classroom holding a stack of final exams and happen to look at the class list in my hand. Not a single name is familiar, though my name apears at the top of the list. Who the HELL are these people ? I don't remember teaching anything to this class or even meeting it.

It's the morning of the final exam. Unfortunately, I haven't written it yet. Also, very unfortunately, the department secretary is out sick. Furthermore, I have one hour to make up, type, and run off 100 exams. :eek

Even though I shall have been retired for 20 years in August, I still have these dreams.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, September 12th, 2009 @ 10:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Occupation
    Student, works in Airport Retail
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My dreams lately have been very specific, and I have a strong feeling that my subconsciousness wants to teach me a lesson every night. For example, I had this horrible dream in which I was late for the exam with about 10 minutes. When I finally arrived at the exam location, I went into the wrong exam, and had to get up from my desk and leave for the right one. Then I realised that I didn’t have a pen with me, so someone lent me theirs. But as it turns out, it was a red pen, and red pens aren’t allowed, it’s black or blue only. After a few minutes of fretting, the pen starts writing in blue instead of red. Phew. So then I realise that I don’t have my dictionary with me, and the assignment makes no sense at all, and I can see my coveted A diminish and go into the West and remain elusive.

Now, that was one of my specific dreams, my non-specific nightmares are actually far apart, but when they come, they really freak me out. When I was younger I always dreamt about a wolf-like creature chasing me all over a huge field, and I could actually feel the exhaustion of running in my legs next morning. But, no matter how fast I ran, it just felt like I was dragging my feets in slow-motion. Frustrating as hell. Other times, however, I wake up and feel kind of impressed with my own mind, impressed that I am able to make up a horror-scenario that surely would earn me millions of dollars had I sold them to Hollywood.

And, as a side note: I have had my share of flying (and stealing) dwarfs as well, PP, so you are no longer alone in having weird dreams (PS: I don't do drugs either)
    "I don't trust or love anyone. Because people are so creepy. Creepy creepy creeps. Creeping around. Creeping here and creeping there. Creeping everywhere. Crippity crappity creepies."
    -Vincent Gallo.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I haven't had a real nightmare in a long time. Most of my dreams creep me out rather than frighten me. I've had a recurring dream where I'm making my way through a dark narrow hallway with junk piled to the ceiling, at the end is a window with sunlight shining though dirty yellow flapping curtains. Another time I dreamt of being in a coma, watching people looking down at me on the hospital bed trying to wake me up. I could see them barely, watching them through a thick white screen. A few weeks ago I had a strange dream where it was my job to look after a deformed kid. We were running around though people's backyards and jumping off roofs of houses. Then it was time to bring him home to his mother who flushed him down the kitchen sink. Weird I know.

Now and then I'll dream about what I think is my fetch or guardian spirit, a gorgeous female in a white dress who is very kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast